• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Excited about the 4.52s from Cam Glenn and Jessie Bates. The 4.8 from Duke Ejiofor, the sub-4.6s by the two Rovers and the 4.62 from Scotty Washington (for some reason I envisioned him being slower).

Yeah Washington is running about as fast as the shorter, quicker receivers at 6'5".

Wait, so all the hand-wringing from the supposed football experts about 40 times was unfounded? Say it isn't so!

In 1984, F$U had fifty player who ran a sub 4.5. It's probably close to that today.

Um.. No. At this year's NFL combine, where 335 of the Nation's best draft eligible players participated, and each participant had spent the previous 2 months training to nail their fastest 40 times at an age when they should be at their physical peak 41 or 12% ran sub 4.5. There is no chance that FSU or any college roster ever had 50 (more than half of the roster) under 4.5. If you exclude lineman and quarterbacks, the total roster would be close to 50.

40 times are one of the most exaggerated aspects of any football program. Anything under 4.6 is legit. Under 4.5 is just ridiculous.

"40 times are one of the most exaggerated aspects of any football program."

Yep. They're not run in pads most importantly. And there are relatively few plays in which players run 40 yards, much less run full speed for 40 yards. 40 times are good to know for WRs, CBs, and special teamers. RBs? It only helps to know who the true breakaway guys are.

Posted here because this is the only active thread it's appropriate. Damn.
13254650_1057083494365713_453312082568014255_o.jpg

13316818_1057083497699046_2573199664065859426_o.jpg

Last edited:
Please post the same graphic/info for Wake's 2013 football team.

Are we using the same criteria as FSU did? Un-drafted and camp invites all count?

If so...

2013:
QB Tanner Price - None
RB Josh Harris - Steelers
WR Mike Campanaro - drafted by Ravens
WR Matt James - Saints
TE Spencer Bishop - None
OL Cory Helms - still playing
OL Antonio Ford - Patriots
OL Josh Harris - still playing
OL Steven Chase - Redskins
OL Tyler Hayworth - still playing

DL Tylor Harris - Seahawks
DL Nikita Whitlock - Giants
DL Kris Redding - CFL
DL Zach Thompson - Redskins

LB Justin Jackson - Titans
LB Mike Olsen - None
LB Brandon Chubb - Rams

CB Bud Noel - Bills
CB Kevin Johnson - 1st rounder by Texans
S AJ Marshall - None
S Thomas Brown - still playing
S Ryan Janvion - still playing

In no way am I comparing our 2013 WFU squad did to FSU's 2013 squad - which is absolutely, positively, loaded. Keep in mind that some of those names on the FSU chart above are not like the others. It's the art of sales in recruiting.

WITH THAT SAID, that was an incredible team for FSU. Trying to compare ANY team to that success is nuts.

Found the info below here: https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/vegas-releases-win-total-overunder-fbs-teams/

On Friday, Las Vegas sports book South Point released the win total over/under for every FBS team in the country. What were the over/under win totals for every ACC team?

Boston College – 6.5

Clemson – 10.5

Duke – 5.5

Florida State – 9.5

Georgia Tech – 6.5

Louisville – 9

Miami – 6.5

North Carolina – 8.5

NC State – 6

Pittsburgh – 7

Syracuse – 4

Virginia – 4.5

Virginia Tech – 6.5

Wake Forest – 5.5

Bc at 6.5? Really? Duke only at 5.5? What does Vegas know that we don't know?

Are we using the same criteria as FSU did? Un-drafted and camp invites all count?

If so...

2013:
QB Tanner Price - None
RB Josh Harris - Steelers
WR Mike Campanaro - drafted by Ravens
WR Matt James - Saints
TE Spencer Bishop - None
OL Cory Helms - still playing
OL Antonio Ford - Patriots
OL Josh Harris - still playing
OL Steven Chase - Redskins
OL Tyler Hayworth - still playing

DL Tylor Harris - Seahawks
DL Nikita Whitlock - Giants
DL Kris Redding - CFL
DL Zach Thompson - Redskins

LB Justin Jackson - Titans
LB Mike Olsen - None
LB Brandon Chubb - Rams

CB Bud Noel - Bills
CB Kevin Johnson - 1st rounder by Texans
S AJ Marshall - None
S Thomas Brown - still playing
S Ryan Janvion - still playing

In no way am I comparing our 2013 WFU squad did to FSU's 2013 squad - which is absolutely, positively, loaded. Keep in mind that some of those names on the FSU chart above are not like the others. It's the art of sales in recruiting.

WITH THAT SAID, that was an incredible team for FSU. Trying to compare ANY team to that success is nuts.

You forgot to include the asterisks for first and second round picks and indicate Pro Bowlers.

Overall, I thought this preview article was excellent http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/2/11817720/wake-forest-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

He does a great job analyzing the numbers, but it's pretty obvious he didn't watch many games or look at how stats progressed throughout the season. For example, he didn't give credit for Hinton improving his passing stats to near-Wolford levels as the season progressed. Oddly enough, he also credits the defense for preventing big plays (?!?) and for the strong contribution from our safeties.

With that being said, there is some interesting info here. I thought it was interesting how opposing offenses were more conservative against us (presumably influenced by teams that were playing with leads).

He ends up with the same win probability of 5.5 that Las Vegas is apparently using.

5.5 win over/under is fair. WF's schedule is very soft, and WF returns more players than anyone in the conference. Will be happy to lay $1000 on the over with anyone that wants offer WF at a win total at 3.5 or less.

Duke's over under is 5.5 because their schedule (for the first time in ages) is brutal. They have OOC games at Northwestern and at Notre Dame. They also draw L'ville from the other division. Duke's six road games are:

NW
ND
L'ville
GT
Miami
Pitt

They are going to be dogs in every one of those games.

As for BC, they have a very soft OOC schedule: Wagner (didn't know they had a football team), Buffalo, UMass and UCONN (all at home; UMASS is at Foxboro). They will be favored in all 4. They also play Cuse at home and will be favored in that one. Playing at WF looks like a coin flip right now, and their only unwinnable games are at FSU and Clemson at BC.

Vegas knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
Be careful about betting with fellow posters, Pilch.

I realize Northwestern is on the rise, but I don't know that they get mentioned as part of Duke's "brutal" schedule. That said, I'm glad Duke is not playing four patsies, and especially and finally glad to say the same about the Wolfpack. They are due to be bullied a bit after all the bullying they've tried to put on softer smaller programs. (Note to tau, tintin et al: I understand some of that was due to scheduling snafus.)

ESPN has an interesting article in which they interview anonymous ACC coaches about their opponents. When asked about Wake's OL, a DL coach stated "These guys get knocked back, and they can't create any space. They're undermanned, but they're also at a disadvantage in the style in which they're asked to block. You can't take a guy that's not as physically talented as the player he's going against and make him go lateral. The guy's getting his butt kicked. This pretty much sums it up. Something must change this season or Tabbacca must hit the bricks. He is the reason or the fall guy.

As long as cut blocking is legal, that's the scheme best suited for the lineman Wake is able to recruit.

What does the DL coach mean by "make him go lateral"? I thought all our guys did was block straight ahead b/c we can't block laterally. Of course I don't know OL technique so I'm probably misinterpreting something. We've had piss-poor OLs ever since Grobe, with Lobo failing and Heimbach failing, and now apparently Tabbacca failing. Something's bloody wrong somewhere.

Back