• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Have tickets for Saturday under the covering but have held off on getting Sunday tickets due to the weather.

Does anybody know a place like Courtyard Hooligans in Durham? My searching for a place to drown my Bundesliga blues at 9:30 am Saturday has been less than fruitful.
The boot room opens at 10 AM

Bull McCabe’s is another good bet maybe

Wake is going to be the home team on Saturday and Sunday, unlike yesterday when we were the visiting team vs. the 12-seed, right?

Logically that should be the case. But this tournament defies logic.

The reasoning for us being the road team yesterday was that each team in each "pool" gets one home game and one game as the visitor. Of course, it's not really a "pool" - it's a single elimination tournament with exhibition games. In our case, since Pitt beat Notre Dame, that meant WF got the elimination game as the visitor and the exhibition game as the home team. Illogical. Whatever.

WF is the first #1 seed to ever advance out of "pool play" in this tournament, so there is no precedence to check for prior tournaments.

Logically that should be the case. But this tournament defies logic.

The reasoning for us being the road team yesterday was that each team in each "pool" gets one home game and one game as the visitor. Of course, it's not really a "pool" - it's a single elimination tournament with exhibition games. In our case, since Pitt beat Notre Dame, that meant WF got the elimination game as the visitor and the exhibition game as the home team. Illogical. Whatever.

WF is the first #1 seed to ever advance out of "pool play" in this tournament, so there is no precedence to check for prior tournaments.
Sure there is....were the higher seeds all the home team in previous years once the semifinals started?

I've been watching the SEC Tournament alongside ours, and it's just night and day different just due to the format imo. They do single-elimination for the worst four teams to make it, then it becomes a normal double-elimination tournament, which is awesome with the talent that league has.

I guess our coaches would rather just not have the potential for that many games overall? It's a great product to watch.

All we have to do to tweak ours is have the two worst teams in each pod play each other in a knockout, then the winner plays the best seeded team in the pool, winners all to the semis. I don't understand the insistence on having games that don't matter at all being played like ours tonight.

I've been watching the SEC Tournament alongside ours, and it's just night and day different just due to the format imo. They do single-elimination for the worst four teams to make it, then it becomes a normal double-elimination tournament, which is awesome with the talent that league has.

I guess our coaches would rather just not have the potential for that many games overall? It's a great product to watch.

All we have to do to tweak ours is have the two worst teams in each pod play each other in a knockout, then the winner plays the best seeded team in the pool, winners all to the semis. I don't understand the insistence on having games that don't matter at all being played like ours tonight.
Yeah. SEC fans hate the tournament because of the amount of potential games.

why can it not just be, you know, a single-elimination tournament?

Because baseball is random and the whole season is build around winning at least two out of three games on the weekend. So losing two to be eliminated makes sense.

Couple of random notes/observations:
-A projection this a.m. has ND "first 4 out", so they'll throw everything they have at our #1Deacs to get a huge RPI-boosting win. If Wake was to still "play...to win...the game" but basically clear the bench to rest our starters and (primarily) give some unheralded guys well-deserved playing time, a loss by us could easily cost another bubble team a bid. Got to think our lineup strategy today will be of interest to the fololwing:

Last Four In​

Arizona State
Kansas State
North Carolina State ⬇️
UC Santa Barbara ⬇️

First Four Out​

Oklahoma ⬇️
Notre Dame
Kent State ⬇️
Louisiana-Lafayette ⬇️

-Setting up for the #2 seed in our regional to be either Campbell or ECU. Campbell is good this year: took 3 from ECU, and also beat the Holes and Coastal Carolina. But from a home park advantage, would much prefer a smattering of Camels to a throng of Pirates; ARRGHHuably one of the nastier fam bases around, and they travel.

Given the weather forecast, I would move the schedule around and play meaningful games today: Wake/Miami and UNC/Clemson. Play other games on Saturday as weather allows, but it looks like a washout. Hope the weather breaks on Sunday or Monday to play the championship game.

Because baseball is random and the whole season is build around winning at least two out of three games on the weekend. So losing two to be eliminated makes sense.
seems like with everyone complaining about different tournament formats but also discussing that conference tournaments aren't a big deal, just get them out of the way. MLB does one-off Wild Card games, this is kinda the same thing.

Given the weather forecast, I would move the schedule around and play meaningful games today: Wake/Miami and UNC/Clemson. Play other games on Saturday as weather allows, but it looks like a washout. Hope the weather breaks on Sunday or Monday to play the championship game.
This makes way too much sense.

it can't be too big an issue. they've won 5/8 Natty's and were runner-up in 2 of the others
I think one of the issues is that teams that do well there rarely do well in the actual tourney because they are too taxed. Yes, I know last year was an exception.

Couple of random notes/observations:
-A projection this a.m. has ND "first 4 out", so they'll throw everything they have at our #1Deacs to get a huge RPI-boosting win. If Wake was to still "play...to win...the game" but basically clear the bench to rest our starters and (primarily) give some unheralded guys well-deserved playing time, a loss by us could easily cost another bubble team a bid. Got to think our lineup strategy today will be of interest to the fololwing:

Last Four In​

Arizona State
Kansas State
North Carolina State ⬇️
UC Santa Barbara ⬇️

First Four Out​

Oklahoma ⬇️
Notre Dame
Kent State ⬇️
Louisiana-Lafayette ⬇️

-Setting up for the #2 seed in our regional to be either Campbell or ECU. Campbell is good this year: took 3 from ECU, and also beat the Holes and Coastal Carolina. But from a home park advantage, would much prefer a smattering of Camels to a throng of Pirates; ARRGHHuably one of the nastier fam bases around, and they travel.
Ugh. Yeah give me Campbell all day over ECU.

Back