• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

it's almost like this team dominated so early and then just kind of put it in cruise control. the level that they have elevated their game the last two weeks is mighty impressive. it was like they were personally offended to be in a 1 run game Saturday.

This is the first one that came to mind for me! Though this may have been out with the pole further back.

Yes, that one would've been out at 330ish feet, but would've probably been foul since it hit the inside edge of the pole. The Gedman HR that I remember was just a little bloop fly that curved just inside the foul pole. I think it was Gedman. God I have a weird and sometimes amazing memory for dumb shit like that, but I can't remember where I put my phone half the time.

We hit two HRs yesterday that looked like they would've been foul with a fence at 320 or 330, but even those I'm not sure about because I couldn't see where they landed. They certainly had distance.

i can understand how teams dislike playing at the Couch. yes both teams have to play there, but no matter how much you hear that it's a bandbox it's still probably disorienting the way the ball flies out of there. But that's the advantage Wake earned by being the #1 seed.

Would think Maryland would go after Corey Muscara
Obviously would be a smart call, but he left them for us as a lateral move, so money would have to talk. maryland's HC leaving for a lateral move isn't a great sign.

Hearing the players are pushing hard for Anthony Papio. He's young and played at Maryland.

did we change the field dimensions from when the warthogs played there?

From the stats crew website:

Ernie Shore Field Dimensions (Left, Center, Right): 335-400-325 (1973); 325-400-325 (1998).

FWIW, the same website listed Ernie Shore capacity at 6,280 in 1998. Might be because they used to allow people to sit on the hill down the RF line.

i think our power alley dimensions are a little deceptive. I think they must be measured where the wall juts out. Our park is small. and the ball flies out.
There is nothing wrong with that. Not sure why people get so upset when people say it is.
None of that had anything to do with why we won. If it psyches out the opposition so be it.

A lot of the Ernie Shore capacity was reduced with the Wake bullpen/performance center. There were bleachers down that way.

NC-WinstonSalem-Shore-3.jpg

Maybe already discussed somewhere but any chance Wake will organize fan watch events here in town for those not able to travel to Omaha?

Possibly at the Couch this time instead of the football stadium?

I think our capacity is fine, though I think it might help if we had a ready-to-go plan to increase with temp seating if/when this sort of thing happens again.

Think there are a few cool things we could do with the Couch; they might be wedded to the dimensions, but there is still room for getting creative.

I don't know how practical it is, and I doubt they'd want to raise the fence height, but the space beyond the fences is a little too visible now before you get to the trees -- like, I don't want to see the shack beyond left field. I think it helped make it even more intimate feeling to have the sight line go from fence to trees back in Ernie Shore, rather than be aware of the access road, etc. It also probably made it even louder.

IMO, you need to see another season or two of great attendance, when we are a run of the mill top 15 team, before you commit to increasing capacity. Will people show up the way they did this year if we are just really good vs historically great ? Wake fans haven't really proven that in sports overall.

Back