• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Watching this LSU/Kentucky game. I have no idea how Kentucky has made it this far. Their cleanup hitter has 1 home run all season (the team has less than Brock/Nick combined) and they have a guy hitting .185 in their lineup.
How dare you mock the most excellent conference in the history of mankind?

So looking ahead, it feels almost certain that LSU will throw Skenes against Tenn/USM (they threw him game 1 against Tulane).

So, if Wake can beat Stanford/Texas, it seems likely that Wake would face LSU’s Ty Floyd in game 2. Floyd’s pitching now for those of you that want to see what Wake may face.

saturday at 1 CST or 6 CST. depends on the matchups and which they think will get better ratings.
So I understand our game is against Texas or Stanford. Stanford is clearly higher rated team. Does this mean that wake will play at 1pm if texas finishes the sweep tonight, or would we be more likely to play at 6pm if Texas?

I have watched Wake Forest teams for a pretty long time. The last times that I felt this good about a Wake team's accomplishments was the 1994-95 basketball team and the 2006 football team.

This team has already matched a very high standard of accomplishment. I see no reason why it can't continue to succeed and surpass the accomplishments of those two famous teams. But whatever happens, this team will go down in history as one of the best teams ever at Wake Forest. Well done, gentlemen!
I’d say with the possible exception of the 1974 and 1975 Curtis Strange, Jay Hass golf teams that won back to back Natties, this baseball team is the best Wake sports team ever.

I’d say with the possible exception of the 1974 and 1975 Curtis Strange, Jay Hass golf teams that won back to back Natties, this baseball team is the best Wake sports team ever.
2018 Wake men’s tennis won the team championship and had two Wake players face off in the finals of the individual championship. That’s about as dominant as it possibly gets.

Tough to rank this baseball team against other teams/sports until we know what happens in CWS.

So I understand our game is against Texas or Stanford. Stanford is clearly higher rated team. Does this mean that wake will play at 1pm if texas finishes the sweep tonight, or would we be more likely to play at 6pm if Texas?

the NCAA will pick who is at 1 CST and who is at 6 CST after all the match ups are set. whatever they think will draw bigger ratings will go at 6 CST

for ratings Texas will increase our chances at the 6 slot. USM winning increases our chances at the 6 slot as well.

For the entirety of my 56 years as a Deacon fan and alum, our best teams have been measured against the best teams in the NCAA. Even teams that have won championships.

This Demon Deacon baseball team isn't being measured against the best teams this year. Those teams are being measured against the Deacons. BIG difference.

Grateful I have lived long enough to experience it. Five more wins required for rings. Go Deacs.

Last edited:
The funniest part about that picture @EssexThayer took is they don't have "2023" for the super regional or NCAA tournament berths yet (those are in LF corner).

Priorities and such.
I noticed that on Saturday and figured it would be cool to attend the first home game next season to see them unveiled. I guess we don’t wait that long?

My favorite moment of today was muttering out loud “I finally know what it is to be on the right side of being Butlerized” after Coronas second, to which my 13 year old asked “what is being Butlerized?”

I said “no need to know son, pass dad another beer and let’s enjoy this” 😄

Oregon falling apart in the 7th. Wild pitch and a horrible throw to first brought two runners home.

Back