• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

During the radio show, Coach Clawson answered a question about offseason priorities.

He started with the defense and mentioned the need to replace graduating starters at LB, safety, CB and DT.

But it was his response on the offense that I found interesting.

“On offense we’ve got to get playmakers to step-up. I think part of the reason that we’ve struggled to score this year despite running the football better is quite honestly we haven’t had those explosive plays we needed at the WR position. We need those guys to take that next step and become explosive playmakers. We have talent at the position but for different reasons those plays haven’t happened. We’ve got to continue to develop playmakers and guys that can make big plays for us. That is probably the biggest priority in the program the way that I look at it

I think we would all agree with what Clawson said about the WRs. They’ve been part of the problem. But there was no mention at all of the need to improve the QB play. Now, in the press conference he did note that Wake has been without their starting QB for most the season (note that he still refers to Hinton as the starting QB) and referred to Wolford as their “second quarterback”. He also noted all of the injuries that Wolford has had and said “if you look at John Wolford when he’s 100 percent, and how he’s played, it’s a lot different from when he’s nicked”. So he clearly believes that much of Wolford’s struggles have been injury-related. With all that being said, I was still surprised that he didn’t specifically call out the QB position as a key offseason priority.

94, this is the first time I can remember that he went after the WRs. I'm sure that he has been on them behind the scenes. Wolford is a great warrior, I just wish he was more consistent.

I sure hope he is not satisfied with the running game. Yeah, maybe it is better than it has been, but that is like a golfer bragging that his 105 is better than the 110 he shot the weekend before. Technically true, but they both suck. For me, the thing that is most troubling about the running game is the inability to pick up first downs when we have downs like 2nd and 3 or 3rd and two. Those are complete drive killers and often the difference between being able to give your defense another 5 minutes of rest, and having to send them right back onto the field.

During the radio show, Coach Clawson answered a question about offseason priorities.

He started with the defense and mentioned the need to replace graduating starters at LB, safety, CB and DT.

But it was his response on the offense that I found interesting.

“On offense we’ve got to get playmakers to step-up. I think part of the reason that we’ve struggled to score this year despite running the football better is quite honestly we haven’t had those explosive plays we needed at the WR position. We need those guys to take that next step and become explosive playmakers. We have talent at the position but for different reasons those plays haven’t happened. We’ve got to continue to develop playmakers and guys that can make big plays for us. That is probably the biggest priority in the program the way that I look at it

I think we would all agree with what Clawson said about the WRs. They’ve been part of the problem. But there was no mention at all of the need to improve the QB play. Now, in the press conference he did note that Wake has been without their starting QB for most the season (note that he still refers to Hinton as the starting QB) and referred to Wolford as their “second quarterback”. He also noted all of the injuries that Wolford has had and said “if you look at John Wolford when he’s 100 percent, and how he’s played, it’s a lot different from when he’s nicked”. So he clearly believes that much of Wolford’s struggles have been injury-related. With all that being said, I was still surprised that he didn’t specifically call out the QB position as a key offseason priority.

94, with the log jam at RB next year including Byrd back healthy (hopefully) and the kid from East Forsyth, do you see anyone moving to receiver?

Do we know what Arkeem Byrd's 40 time is? I can only imagine he's incredibly fast and agile with all the praise he gets from the coaching staff.

94, with the log jam at RB next year including Byrd back healthy (hopefully) and the kid from East Forsyth, do you see anyone moving to receiver?

No. You would think that the plan would be for Beal to redshirt, although I'd think he'll be given a chance to change that.

Keep in mind there will also be a logjam at slot with Hines, Wade and Dortch. So the staff likely won't be looking for help there.

The bigger question is whether the staff will move Wade to the outside S-WR position. He proved last spring that he can play it, and he's consistently shown that he's a good player in general. That would enable the staff to get both Hines and Wade the field at the same time (which they can't really do now). However, I'm not in favor of that move because I think that Wade is a better fit in the slot and he keeps Hines from having to take the beating that would come with playing every snap.

Wake Forest's receiving corps would be helped if Scotty Washington decided to want to catch the ball and realized that he is as fast, can jump as high and is 5 inches taller than everyone covering him.

Thread Killa.
c6895c34537afb15c5119cfeefe54243.jpg

No. You would think that the plan would be for Beal to redshirt, although I'd think he'll be given a chance to change that.

Keep in mind there will also be a logjam at slot with Hines, Wade and Dortch. So the staff likely won't be looking for help there.

The bigger question is whether the staff will move Wade to the outside S-WR position. He proved last spring that he can play it, and he's consistently shown that he's a good player in general. That would enable the staff to get both Hines and Wade the field at the same time (which they can't really do now). However, I'm not in favor of that move because I think that Wade is a better fit in the slot and he keeps Hines from having to take the beating that would come with playing every snap.

Getting Wade and Hines on the field at the same time seems like such an easy fix that results from stubbornness IMO. Chucky is our most dynamic playmaker followed by Hines. Every snap Bachman gets with Wade on the bench is a waste.

Getting Wade and Hines on the field at the same time seems like such an easy fix that results from stubbornness IMO. Chucky is our most dynamic playmaker followed by Hines. Every snap Bachman gets with Wade on the bench is a waste.

Agreed.

The hype with Byrd is nice. I'll take it with a grain of salt until we see it on Saturdays next season. We've had a few speedy guys who weren't playmakers.

Beal from East Forsyth is so explosive that you might be able to get him out in the slot or flanker, get him the ball and let his speed do the rest. This kid has to play next year--he is that good!

It's a rainy afternoon and I watched a replay of our Orange Bowl game.
Damn, we were good. Wide open offense and tough as nails defense. We had so many players that I remember like yesterday.
And damn, I hate that we lost. We could have won.
It's so ironic/coincidental that Petrino was the UL coach then and he's back again.
Also coincidental that we were up 13-10 in the 4th quarter of the Orange Bowl and lost vs we were recently up 12-10 at UL and lost.
I still hate UL just as much now as I did then.

It's a rainy afternoon and I watched a replay of our Orange Bowl game.
Damn, we were good. Wide open offense and tough as nails defense. We had so many players that I remember like yesterday.
And damn, I hate that we lost. We could have won.
It's so ironic/coincidental that Petrino was the UL coach then and he's back again.
Also coincidental that we were up 13-10 in the 4th quarter of the Orange Bowl and lost vs we were recently up 12-10 at UL and lost.
I still hate UL just as much now as I did then.

The two fumbles (both of which should have been ruled down by contact) by Belton and Moore were the difference. If those plays had been called correctly, we win that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elko is expected to stay in through the bowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a whole lot of chatter about our upcoming bowl game, in spite of the fact that we haven't been to one in quite a while. (I know.....we've had a lot of distractions this past week with the Elrod fiasco)

a thought about the mentality of our team as they practice during the next week....
- they could be pretty depressed about the Elrod thing as well as Elko leaving and not be too motivate. Somewhat understandable if this is the case.
- also, they could be pissed as hell about some games possibly being 'stolen' from them and they are extremely motivated to show the world what they can really do. If this is the case, I look for our guys to show up and play their butts off against Temple.

I obviously hope the latter is the case........our guys shake if off and take no prisoners in Annapolis.

Go Deacs!

Not a whole lot of chatter about our upcoming bowl game, in spite of the fact that we haven't been to one in quite a while. (I know.....we've had a lot of distractions this past week with the Elrod fiasco)

a thought about the mentality of our team as they practice during the next week....
- they could be pretty depressed about the Elrod thing as well as Elko leaving and not be too motivate. Somewhat understandable if this is the case.
- also, they could be pissed as hell about some games possibly being 'stolen' from them and they are extremely motivated to show the world what they can really do. If this is the case, I look for our guys to show up and play their butts off against Temple.

I obviously hope the latter is the case........our guys shake if off and take no prisoners in Annapolis.

Go Deacs!

Not much hype because Temple is a total joke of a school and football program.

While this wasn't your argument Dekin, i feel that it's important to point out to everyone that the attitude and interest(s) of the boards in no way reflect those of the team. People forget that sometimes.

Back