• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football / Military Bowl Thread

I remember focusing on Cam and just watching his routes this year during a couple games. He just had zero ability to cut or stop. He basically was just trying to run towards gaps in zone coverage, had almost no chance beating anyone in man. And that's assuming he was able to get off his block, which many times he simply couldn't. It was virtually impossible to draw up plays targeting him because of it.

I expect a massive improvement and huge impact from him next year, regardless of who is at QB.

Personally I think we have negative synergy (is that a real thing) on the offensive side of the ball. An offensive line that isn't real good - a QB that has poor pocket awareness and struggles with throws to a lot of the field - and WRs that have trouble getting open and rarely win 50/50 type of balls. Maybe we could survive with just one of those, especially with some creative scheming; however, when you combine them all you have a complete disaster.

As for our running game, maybe it is a more defenders than blockers issue, but it seems that we have multiple OL not getting a block on anyone, as multiple defenders just shoot through the LOS unimpeded. The chance of a slow developing running play working when multiple defenders are on the Wake side of the LOS before the RB finally gets the ball is pretty low. Granted it's from a small sample size, but it does seem like our RBs have more success when Hinton is the QB. For starters, it seems that he makes the hand-off/keep decision faster than Wolford does. Plus, he seems to keep the ball more, so perhaps the defense has to play a little more honest.

Put em in a 3 point stance and the O-line is fixed.

Will Wake hang onto Jeffery Burley, or will he flip to Ole Miss?

I went to Grad School at Alabama. As a result, I follow the SEC more than the ACC despite the fact that my dad played football at Wake. Anyway, Ole Miss was under investigation by the NCAA before the NFL Draft, and the incident during the NFL Draft made their situation a lot worse. They are about to have the hammer dropped on them, nothing like USC or Penn St, but it is going to be bad. Also, there is a lot of speculation that Freeze will either be fired or take another job somewhere else if he can find one. Due to the unpredictable of the NCAA's pace, it could happen this offseason or some time next year. At this point its not a matter of if but when. Either way any recruit that wants to be a part of a winning program that goes to at least a Bowl Game should steer clear of Ole Miss. I don't know anything about this kid, and if any other colleges are on his list. However, if Wake was only competing against Ole Miss, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

How did Wolford manage to get Cam all those touches the last two years, but somehow can't throw over the middle to him this year?

I doubt defenses would put 8 in the box to stop Hinton. He's much more effective using the edges in the read option. I think all of Wolford's long runs were up the middle on designed runs or scrambles. Not to mention Hinton throws a better deep ball than Wolford.

I also think there was more of a concerted effort this year to rely on the defense and not turn the ball over. So we limited the passing game (other than the Army debacle) to passes of less than 3 yards downfield.

Can anyone offer an explanation for the reduced targeting of Serigne, who was our best receiver two years ago? Regarding the offense regressing somewhat, I think some of that is attributable to the musical chairs situation at QB due to injuries.

I can't say definitively, but when the offense runs it more often than we did last year (largely b/c of greater success doing so I imagine) it takes away pass attempts. Also, there has been talk of Serigne fighting injury all season it seems, which might play into it. Also, with more focus on rushing this year perhaps they needed the TE to block more and receive less. All could be factors. It's not because he's less reliable I don't think.

I can't say definitively, but when the offense runs it more often than we did last year (largely b/c of greater success doing so I imagine) it takes away pass attempts. Also, there has been talk of Serigne fighting injury all season it seems, which might play into it. Also, with more focus on rushing this year perhaps they needed the TE to block more and receive less. All could be factors. It's not because he's less reliable I don't think.

2016 - 159.3 ypg, 27.0 att/game, 5.9 yards/att, 54.3% comp
2015 - 228.3 ypg, 34.8 att/game, 6.6 yards/att, 56.6% comp

Attempts went down, but so did yards per attempt and completion percentage.

Yes, yes and yes. Plus the Deacsfan27 point about fewer passes over the middle.

This Serigne discussion reminded me of a somewhat related point during the Clemson game. With Kearns starting, Clawson wanted to give him "half-field reads" to make it easier. That meant for a significant number of snaps (maybe half) they emptied the boundary side of the field. So Cortez Lewis came out of the game, and Devin Pike came in as the second TE. When they had a TE split out wide as a receiver it was Pike and not Serigne. I assume this was either because Serigne couldn't run that well with his injury, or he was simply the better blocker. Either way, there was a moment I remember being struck by the fact that I was watching a true freshman QB making his first start trying to work the ball downfield against the Clemson defense and his receiving options were Devin Pike, Chuck Wade (OK, he's proven that he is legit) and Alex Bachman.

Not sure of your point; we had 7-8 fewer attempts/game this year as I suggested. That's less targets for all receivers

You seemed to suggest fewer attempts was the main reason for fewer passing yards. I pointed out that we also had a lower completion percentage and fewer yards per attempt.

It's pretty hard to believe that a team this bad is heading to a bowl game.

Expect to read more speculation about Mike Elko leaving Wake. In addition to multiple media outlets speculating that he is a candidate for the Notre Dame DC job, there are also articles guessing that he will be a candidate for the DC job at Ole Miss (where DC Dave Wommack retired).

With Tom Allen being promoted to HC at Indiana that takes one of the hot DC names off the board. He was probably the odds-on favorite for the Ole Miss DC job.

In addition to Elko, there seems to be a lot of interest across the industry in Washington State DC Alex Grinch and Colorado DC Jim Leavitt.

If he doesn’t land an HC gig, Charlie Strong could be in the mix for some of these DC jobs as well. 247 quoted industry sources as saying that if Strong had stayed at Texas his DC targets would have been Elko and Grinch, and if he lands an HC job he will likely try to draw one of those to his new gig.

For what it’s worth, none of these articles have reported that Elko is looking to leave Wake.

Would be our luck. The one coach that is doing an outstanding job gets lured away and we make no changes at OC, special teams and wide receiver coaches. Just like under Grobe when Troy left.

On ESPN.com both Schlabach and McMurphy project us playing Vandy in Shreveport (the "Intellectual Bowl of the South").

Not going to happen, Clawson is wedded to the Pistol and the delayed, delayed, delayed, handoff

So delayed that a Utah State D-lineman was able to tackle both Wofford and our RB at the same time out in Logan 2 years ago.

Owls have 2 bowl wins in their history. Too bad they're now goood. Cosby tuning in? Temple fans still revere him like Paterno/Penn St?

Owls have 2 bowl wins in their history. Too bad they're now goood. Cosby tuning in? Temple fans still revere him like Paterno/Penn St?

Hell no, Cosby is a god damn jackass. But in other news I may be there. If so, anyone want to meet up for a beer?

Back