• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Actually the entire team has that attitude because Clawson instilled it in them. You have been trying hard I'll give you that, but you're formulating your argument terribly.

For starters, it was said by a few people including myself that maybe Durant didn't want to come because of current RB's on the roster. That is not an indictment on wake forest - that's taking a guess at a reason why a high school kid may have not chosen us (which, surprise! High school recruiting can be extremely unpredictable). If you're wanting to peg the reason for him not committing on Wake as a school compared to Duke, that seems more LOWF than anything, no? Nonetheless, it seems we're in good position with another (better) running back out of Georgia who holds a unc offer.

Second, you're cherry picking recruits as examples. People who choose another school over wake are automatically an example, but people who choose wake over one of the other NC ACC schools don't count because it's not a hat picking? If a recruits holds a committable offer from another school and they choose wake they are choosing us over that school - it's not rocket science. And before you do it, don't claim to know which recruits offers were and were not committable because you don't.

If you're only trying to say LOWF as an ideology sucks, I agree with you. You're examples are pretty terrible though.

That's what I said. That attitude across the entire fanbase/alumnibase also affects a wide variety of athletic decisions and mindsets.

That's what I said. That attitude across the entire fanbase/alumnibase also affects a wide variety of athletic decisions and mindsets.

There is some space between recognition of where Wake is athletically and where we might like it to be.

On today's ESPN College Football Today, one of the topics was whether ACC football has "surpassed" the SEC as our coaches and AD's are claiming. One of the analysts who was covering the ACC Media Day(IIRC it was Tom Luginbill) was asked his opinion; he said yes he thought the ACC at present was superior. When the host said he agreed that Clemson and FSU were getting the top players, particularly on the defensive side that the SEC is known for, he asked if the depth beyond the top programs was comparable. Luginbil again said "yes; for example several of the coaches I talked to mentioned that Wake Forest had one of the best defenses they faced last year". You could take that as a back-hand compliment, i.e. "Wake Forest !?!?", but it was not delivered that way, so I took it as a positive.
At the same time, it reminded me that we had a 9/10 win defense saddled by a 4 win offense, which gets you 7 W's.

On today's ESPN College Football Today, one of the topics was whether ACC football has "surpassed" the SEC as our coaches and AD's are claiming. One of the analysts who was covering the ACC Media Day(IIRC it was Tom Luginbill) was asked his opinion; he said yes he thought the ACC at present was superior. When the host said he agreed that Clemson and FSU were getting the top players, particularly on the defensive side that the SEC is known for, he asked if the depth beyond the top programs was comparable. Luginbil again said "yes; for example several of the coaches I talked to mentioned that Wake Forest had one of the best defenses they faced last year". You could take that as a back-hand compliment, i.e. "Wake Forest !?!?", but it was not delivered that way, so I took it as a positive.
At the same time, it reminded me that we had a 9/10 win defense saddled by a 4 win offense, which gets you 7 W's.

I read an article recently in which some SEC coaches and analysts were saying that the ACC was better last season. I think it is commonly acknowledged that the Atlantic division of the ACC is the best division in college football or close to it. Therefore, if those comments came from the top programs in our division, that is impressive. It coincides with the fact that we did not get manhandled in any game last season. We played against teams with superior depth which always hurts us, but we played really tough defense. Hopefully our new defensive staff can sustain that. Even so, we still have a lot of work to do on offense. If we can stay healthy at QB perhaps we will see a definite step up on O.

Jimbo was very complimentary of our D after last years game. The ACC was 4-1 versus the SEC last bowl season. It had the Heisman and Natty last year too. It was our year. Now the ACC will play Auburn, 'Bama, Rocky top and the USCjr the first two weeks of Sept. It sounds like a set-up for ESPN.

Jimbo was very complimentary of our D after last years game. The ACC was 4-1 versus the SEC last bowl season. It had the Heisman and Natty last year too. It was our year. Now the ACC will play Auburn, 'Bama, Rocky top and the USCjr the first two weeks of Sept. It sounds like a set-up for ESPN.

That's probably on target. Rivalries generate ratings and sponsors whether those rivalries are real or not. Another season like last season and the case becomes much more compelling.

I love that ESPN is setting up that narrative.

Reporters have been alluding to "Clawson's post spring depth chart." Plenty of schools post that on their school website, does anyone know how to find it?

Reporters have been alluding to "Clawson's post spring depth chart." Plenty of schools post that on their school website, does anyone know how to find it?

That would require our SID to have updates.

It would also require our coaching staff to have trust in the media. I do not believe there is either.

Butter -

What renovations did ND do to its stadium?

Construction on basically 3 Deacon Towers on steroids ( 1 endzone + 2 on each side ) was well underway when we attended the Wake-ND game 2 years ago. These massive buildings are mostly academic oriented but top floors are geared to club seating stuff. The endzone building will have a large video board like ours. They say these structures will add between 4 to 6,000 folks increasing stadium capacity to +- 85,000. The 1 endzone ( famous team entrance tunnel end ) will remain as is to preserve the view of Touchdown Jesus:)

Thanks.

Inquiring minds want to know

I'd love to know the facts, but at this point in the pre-season, I'd take rumors and speculation.....anything for some discussion

I just watched the Wake interviews on Wakeforestsports.com - Clawson, Dunn, and Cam. Really, really, surprised nobody asked Clawson about how the cheating affected wins and loses in the past and/or would love to know how Louisville and Wake coaches circled each other on media day ...

I just watched the Wake interviews on Wakeforestsports.com - Clawson, Dunn, and Cam. Really, really, surprised nobody asked Clawson about how the cheating affected wins and loses in the past and/or would love to know how Louisville and Wake coaches circled each other on media day ...

I think there was a question inferring that but Clawson didn't answer directly. He's not the type to blame losses on something like that so I can't see him answering that question.

Yeah, he essentially didn't want to talk about it shortly after the Wake AD said "our investigation is over, it's now in the other school's hands"

A few questions:

- I assume that all freshman that signed in February have officially qualified; is that right?
- Is there anyone who committed from the class of 2017 that is gray-shirting?
- When is the first pre-season practice?

This may be a hot take, but I think the whole WakeyLeaks thing was overblown as far as the impact it actually had on the field. The optics are obviously horrible, and it may have helped situationally, but I think even without the WakeyLeaks thing we have the same season we did last year.

This may be a hot take, but I think the whole WakeyLeaks thing was overblown as far as the impact it actually had on the field. The optics are obviously horrible, and it may have helped situationally, but I think even without the WakeyLeaks thing we have the same season we did last year.

totally disagree. At least so far as the Louisville game goes. They had all the plays we wrote in specifically for the game.

I also don't think we are losing that Army game if they don't have our plays

Back