• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

New coordinator and new position coaches, how will this season's defense compare to last season's? What are reasonable expectations?

I assume we won't be as good but hope we stay nearly as good. I think our secondary will be better. I think our linebackers will not be as strong/experienced. I think Brown was sneaky good and we will miss him. Our DL on paper should be as good or better, but worry that we rely on super linebackers to hit all gaps.

Stronger on the D-line, probably the same as last year with the DBs (maybe better than 2016's secondary), but weaker at LB

Think our scheme will remain the same?

I am concerned about our LBs, but agree that secondary should be improved. So glad DUKE is back...must generate pass rush while defending the run. So much depends on LBs.

Agreed. Same with army.

nah. It had more to do with throwing it 45 times in blustery conditions which resulted in some awful turnovers despite averaging almost 5.5 yards a carry. We were owning the line, but we decided to air it out that many times in those conditions. Dumb, dumb and more dumb.

I know that they are pretty far back in their respective position groups, but seeing both of our starting OT's and one OG getting all-ACC votes shows how far our O-line has come since our Clawson's first couple years.

Where were we dissed? We had a First Team tight end.

Who on our team should have been 2nd or 3rd in the conference at their position? Ejiofor is a beast, but DL in the ACC is probably the best positional group in the country.

Overall I expect we will take a slight step back defensively, but a lot of that is due to the teams we will be playing. We were extremely opportunistic on defense last year with turnovers to touchdowns. That's hard to sustain. I expect the defense to wind up in the top 30 nationally again. We really need the offense to get the hell out of the 100's if we want to take any big steps any time soon.

Where were we dissed? We had a First Team tight end.

Who on our team should have been 2nd or 3rd in the conference at their position? Ejiofor is a beast, but DL in the ACC is probably the best positional group in the country.

No Dunn, not one vote, no receiver received a single vote, Carney, not one vote. There are something like 30 WRs listed with votes. Either you read that as we got totally dissed, or that most journalists that focus on the local university vote for their locals guys, but our journalists do not. It is one or the other, but I expected both Lewis and Hines to get a few votes

Pre-season teams are relatively meaningless. Ought to supply added incentive to several of our guys; especially Ejiofor, Bates, Carney, Wolford.

Yep.
I'd much rather have players on the post season All ACC team.

To the scheme question, we will still be running a 4-2-5 but instead of a third linebacker as the fifth, we will use that position as an extra DB from what I understand.

No Dunn, not one vote, no receiver received a single vote, Carney, not one vote. There are something like 30 WRs listed with votes. Either you read that as we got totally dissed, or that most journalists that focus on the local university vote for their locals guys, but our journalists do not. It is one or the other, but I expected both Lewis and Hines to get a few votes

I don't read that we got dissed at all. The ACC is loaded with talent. If you picked Dunn over any of those other guys then I would be concerned about your well being.

Our local journalists have shown over and over again that they don't vote for Wake. They prefer to get the hits with State, Duke, and UNC.

Maybe that's being dissed, but I don't see it that way. I don't care how many votes these guys get pre-season. Just want them to excel during the time that counts

Did we ever find out what Kyle Kearns did to get kicked off the team?

None of our opponents put an "L" next to the Wake Forest game, when their schedule comes out. We stuck it to Duke, we stuck it to Indiana, and finally Temple. There is a team on our schedule that we'll clip because of this attitude.

Thanks. Premium on the safety position, it seems.

I like that scheme a lot, an extra DB allows for someone who can be a plus in coverage and/or someone who's a plus in run defense depending on the down/personnel on the field. A rover LB is good for run stuffing but less effective in coverage.

Back