• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Ouch! Next man up. I hope things work out for him and he can come back for his senior year. Welcome back Steve Claude. I guess we can close our '18 WR class at two. (or is it one?)

Ouch! Next man up. I hope things work out for him and he can come back for his senior year. Welcome back Steve Claude. I guess we can close our '18 WR class at two. (or is it one?)

Two receivers in the 2018 class so far, one inside receiver and one outside receiver.

Sounds like it will be Henderson, Bassey and Jiles competing for the two starting CB spots. That may have been the case even if Austin was still with the team. But now either Malik Grate or a true freshman will be on the two deep. This is a position where an injury or two could really hurt.

We obviously hate to see players leave the team, but I think these situations where they leave for personal reasons, get things taken care of and are then welcomed back, sends a strong message about how much Clawson and staff really care about the players. If I had a son that was being recruited, I would definitely notice things like that.
This is a win all the way around.......for the team, the player, the families, the fans.

I hope Zeek and Claude have great return seasons this fall.

Fall camp is always a time of change and opportunity. With a solid, stable program there should be talent in the wings and it is time for some people to step up and make all that work pay off. One of the things Clawson brings to the table.

We obviously hate to see players leave the team, but I think these situations where they leave for personal reasons, get things taken care of and are then welcomed back, sends a strong message about how much Clawson and staff really care about the players. If I had a son that was being recruited, I would definitely notice things like that.
This is a win all the way around.......for the team, the player, the families, the fans.

I hope Zeek and Claude have great return seasons this fall.

I'll definitely leave it to Clawson to decide. And while we never really know what this "personal business" is, in some sense I think leaving when the team clearly needs you is frowned upon. Or at least used to be. But like I said we never know what the actual reasons are. Could be really serious. Or not.

Glad if worked out for the other players and hope it works out for Austin but Wake is not and should not be obligated to honor scholarships for student athletes that leave the program for personal reasons. Honor them if the athlete is talented enough and of high character enough to warrant it and there are still scholarships available. Otherwise, move on and use the scholarship to recruit the next talented student athlete.

Glad if worked out for the other players and hope it works out for Austin but Wake is not and should not be obligated to honor scholarships for student athletes that leave the program for personal reasons. Honor them if the athlete is talented enough and of high character enough to warrant it and there are still scholarships available. Otherwise, move on and use the scholarship to recruit the next talented student athlete.

Agree.
In these cases, I assume the personal issues were serious enough to warrant leaving (the coaches know) and these 2 are talented enough that we want them back. Guessing the teammates do too.

Agree.
In these cases, I assume the personal issues were serious enough to warrant leaving (the coaches know) and these 2 are talented enough that we want them back. Guessing the teammates do too.

I don't know anything about the Rodney or Austin situations, but I know a little about Claude's. As has been reported publicly, it had to do with a serious illness involving a family member. Sometimes you have to put family first. I'm glad he was able to make it back.

I'm very much looking forward to this game. Should be a great atmosphere and a chance to get a win on the road against an in-state opponent.

Got tickets through Deacon club for $60 a piece. Which look incredibly reasonable right now.

Really hoping for a late afternoon kick. When do we expect to find out the game time?

It also appears our first 3 games won't even be on TV either (all on ACCN extra)

Since it's the fourth game I think they will announce it 12 days before the game (so Monday, September 11th). That's if the routine from season's past holds steady.

I believe they had Miami at noon last year, so that could be similar. Hoping for a 3-3:30 though.

Back