• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

That's a shame. Was one of our last legit current targets for RB and yet another loss to duke. Not very surprising, however, as he had 8 crystal balls to Duke.

We'll know in a couple years; but I too think that this class is disappointing. Wonder if coaching changes have something to do with it?

Hopefully, 1 bowl win has not produced complacency: :cool:

This class is much better than last year's class if rankings are your thing. Not sure how that would indicate complacency.

We'll know in a couple years; but I too think that this class is disappointing. Wonder if coaching changes have something to do with it?

Hopefully, 1 bowl win has not produced complacency: :cool:

Maybe long-term contract has something to do with it. That's when Grobe's recruiting started to really fall off. Who knows. But Wake can't afford to tank in recruiting any year. That leads to cycles.

Wake's 2017 football recruiting class was also the worst class in the ACC based on the average rank of each ACC school's commitments on 247.

With Wake, it's all about development. Our upperclassmen must beat their upperclassmen. What they become once they get here is the difference. We got what we needed in this class. DT and a K were a must, check. DB depth and a QB for the pipeline, check. Everything else is gravy. Win 8 games and we'll win respect. Last year, we were 5-1, then 1-5. The bowl game was Claws best strategic coaching job at Wake. Keeping Ejiofor and Serigne were Claws best recruiting job this off season. In Claw I trust!

It's "all about development" when you have great trouble landing highly regarded recruits. Until WF stops being perceived as the 4th best ACC option in NC for football, our fortunes really won't change in the long run. Hard truths.

It's a mix. Good coaches build programs and bad coaches don't. I think we have a good coach. We will see.

Not surprised that a 7-6 (3-5) season didn't push us to the middle of the ACC, but really the difference between class 7 and class 12 is getting one or two players that overachieve. And that is development.

Grobe's complacency was much more in program discipline than recruiting.

It's "all about development" when you have great trouble landing highly regarded recruits. Until WF stops being perceived as the 4th best ACC option in NC for football, our fortunes really won't change in the long run. Hard truths.

In the 2000s Duke went 0-10 against Wake yet had a higher ranked recruiting class every year except one. Also, during the same decade, Wake had 19 players taken in the NFL draft and Duke had 2.

Lohengrin, good points about the present. Rafi, good points about the past. The OL must continue its progress. Play calling must fit the talent.

In the 2000s Duke went 0-10 against Wake yet had a higher ranked recruiting class every year except one. Also, during the same decade, Wake had 19 players taken in the NFL draft and Duke had 2.

It depends on what your goals as a program are. Are we going to advance up the food chain, or just try to be reasonably competitive and a tough out? If the former, we *must* secure higher ranked recruits eventually.

It depends on what your goals as a program are. Are we going to advance up the food chain, or just try to be reasonably competitive and a tough out? If the former, we *must* secure higher ranked recruits eventually.

Surely we are not pouring millions into facilities in order to maintain mediocrity.

We won an ACC championship during that time. That seems like a good goal.

May sound unrealistic and corny in this day of Power 5 football, but Clawson has almost persuaded me that he really is looking for true STUDENT-Athletes. He seems intent on locating good athletes (the raw talents that can be developed) who are serious about education.

If so, that narrows the field quite a bit.

Trust Clawson. Best coach we have ever had. Sells our strengths and rejects the rest. He believes in his process and so should you. We may step back this year. Brutal schedule. Hang in there. Smartest fucker in the room....Clawson.

Losing Mataeo Durant hurts but was hardly unexpected. The RB spot is the most interesting situation to watch as Wake wraps up a very low-key recruiting season. Best guess is that there are only two spots left to be filled this summer. Then maybe more in December/January.

Final camps are next weekend (Friday/Saturday) and should have a big impact on how those last spots are filled.

As noted above, Davontae McCrae committed to NC State. It's so hard to tell whether Wake was still involved and whether there would have been a spot for him. My guess is that there wasn't, but again, just a guess.

Grobe must have been a pretty good coach after all.

Trust Clawson. Best coach we have ever had. Sells our strengths and rejects the rest. He believes in his process and so should you. We may step back this year. Brutal schedule. Hang in there. Smartest fucker in the room....Clawson.

I like Clawson, but Grobe was the best coach we have ever had. When Clawson takes us to the Orange Bowl and wins several bowl games, I might change my mind.

May sound unrealistic and corny in this day of Power 5 football, but Clawson has almost persuaded me that he really is looking for true STUDENT-Athletes. He seems intent on locating good athletes (the raw talents that can be developed) who are serious about education.

If so, that narrows the field quite a bit.

Sure. But how does that make us feel better about losing recruiting battles for players Clawson offered?

Back