• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

That's the whole fucking point, Chris. Only in a final hat pick battle can you determine who is really after a recruit. Duh. That's the whole reason why winning "recruiting battles" is important. They're visible.

Otherwise, people like you assume every commitment with an offer list is "winning a recruiting battle", which is definitely not the case.

Perhaps. I am thinking more that Grobe was the most successful coach ever and thus earned some extra years based on that, when things were obviously in decline. I would like to have seen changes two years sooner than they happened. In any case, I think most fans nowadays believe we can or should succeed. Back in the 70's success in football was viewed as unattainable.

This is the origin of the 70s remark: WF1977 asserting 70s Deacs viewed football success as unattainable.

I merely suggested that those people who view "football success as unattainable"", per WF1977, must be in control of Wake athletics direction still today. Meh. Believe what you want Townie, you're a pernicious little cuss.

BTW, I'm a 70s Deac myself, so its not like I don't have the ethos to opine on the matter.

That's the whole fucking point, Chris. Only in a final hat pick battle can you determine who is really after a recruit. Duh. That's the whole reason why winning "recruiting battles" is important. They're visible.

Otherwise, people like you assume every commitment with an offer list is "winning a recruiting battle", which is definitely not the case.

A hat picker can say that I am picking between Wake Forest and Alabama and then pick Wake even with no Alabama offer.

I don't assume that every offer listed is commitable. Also, sometimes, offers won't be updated on committed players.

This is the post of a person who has lost significant mental faculties

Lohengrin's comments in this thread are fascinating. Claims Wake is massively underperforming in football (LOL), blames "losing culture" instilled by people from 40 years ago (are we holding mixers with big boosters and younger generations to make sure we are handing down this losing culture?), fails to recognize realities of college football landscape (I.e. recruiting preferences), labels any recruiting loss another example of our "losing culture" but anytime we win a recruiting battle it's not really a win because the offer probably wasn't committable at the other schools...and finally when pressed on the issue, despite posting 50 times in the thread, claims he doesn't have time or energy to explain how we should magically transform into a powerhouse. Bravo!

Lohengrin's comments in this thread are fascinating. Claims Wake is massively underperforming in football (LOL), blames "losing culture" instilled by people from 40 years ago (are we holding mixers with big boosters and younger generations to make sure we are handing down this losing culture?), fails to recognize realities of college football landscape (I.e. recruiting preferences), labels any recruiting loss another example of our "losing culture" but anytime we win a recruiting battle it's not really a win because the offer probably wasn't committable at the other schools...and finally when pressed on the issue, despite posting 50 times in the thread, claims he doesn't have time or energy to explain how we should magically transform into a powerhouse. Bravo!

Fake posts.

There are only two points I've asserted in this entire hullabaloo:

(1) WF needs to win "recruiting battles" against ACC and academic rivals in order to improve in football.
(2) Making convoluted excuses for WF athletic failures is the very essence of the LOWF mentality.

Disprove either of these assertions if you can. Anything other than that is a patent fabrication of my arguments, as I've consistently maintained to the various munchkins who've attacked my posts (apparently because they're guilty of #2 but cannot refute my statement).

We do win some of those battles. We do not win all of them. Is that your expectation?

There are only two points I've asserted in this entire hullabaloo:

(1) WF needs to win "recruiting battles" against ACC and academic rivals in order to improve in football.
(2) Making convoluted excuses for WF athletic failures is the very essence of the LOWF mentality.

Disprove either of these assertions if you can. Anything other than that is a patent fabrication of my arguments, as I've consistently maintained to the various munchkins who've attacked my posts (apparently because they're guilty of #2 but cannot refute my statement).

1. Other posters have presented multiple examples of recruiting battles we've won against rivals. You discredited them as not being committable to the other schools for some reason.
2. Not sure who's making excuses... but I assure you that whatever you perceive as excuses on the message board have no bearing on the program's success. None. Zero. Zilch. Now the other pieces of the program (prestige, coaching staff, fan base/stadium size, low academic reqs, etc) certainly do have an impact, but something tells me you're too far gone to understand

1. Other posters have presented multiple examples of recruiting battles we've won against rivals. You discredited them as not being committable to the other schools for some reason.
2. Not sure who's making excuses... but I assure you that whatever you perceive as excuses on the message board have no bearing on the program's success. None. Zero. Zilch. Now the other pieces of the program (prestige, coaching staff, fan base/stadium size, low academic reqs, etc) certainly do have an impact, but something tells me you're too far gone to understand

So you disagree with me. Big deal. Big surprise. Next?

BTW, whodat, you completely have a reading fail on issue #2. Issue #2 is not about recruiting at all. It's about LOWF mentality, something you're apparently too dense to know about.

How does the epidemic of LOWF mentality amongst forum posters affect the performance and success of the football team, either in the short or long term?

Or, do you not believe that it does?

Never said that. "Read the thread"

uhhh

Doofus (!) should realize that WF can never afford to be complacent. The historical tendency at all levels and sports at Wake is to let success go to our heads and stop evaluating the job being done. It's repeated time and again. Well, at least when we manage to be successful in something lol.

The essence of the LOWF mentality is going through contortions to make excuses for Wake's inability to succeed either in recruiting or on the field. To move forward the first thing that needs to be done is to stop the contortions and face facts.

Right Mack. This isn't rocket science.

Two different things. One, our program needs to start winning recruiting battles to elevate the program. Two, people constantly making excuses for failure are accepting the low level of performance we've seen historically. If fans don't expect more, more won't happen. Fan attitude isn't the only thing, but it's a part of the whole miserable WF sports ethos. It's straightforward.

How does the epidemic of LOWF mentality amongst forum posters affect the performance and success of the football team, either in the short or long term?

Or, do you not believe that it does?

I think our fanbase allows coaches to get very comfortable and rest on their laurels. Maybe that trickles down to the players as well.

Back