• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

If you believe 247's offer list.

Peyton woulard had offers from Duke, UK, Vandy, Syracuse, BC among others

Kelijiha Brown has an in-state offer from South Carolina

Mike Edwards has offers from UNC and NC State

Sam Hartman doesn't have other offers, but he was a very early recruit for us, and based on his rankings, I would bet he has quite a few other offers by now.

Jurgens has a Louisville offer. We have another kid with a Mich State offer.

Those are "nice" Chris, but we all know about the offers game. Were we in a head-to-head commitment situation with any of those programs? One where we're in a two- or three-way final choice position (hat-choosing) where we've won? That's when you know it's a "recruiting battle". Offer lists are interesting, and suffice to show interest, but don't amount to a "battle". (Haven't we had this discussion elsewhere not too long ago, or is it just deja-vu on my part?)

Perhaps. I am thinking more that Grobe was the most successful coach ever and thus earned some extra years based on that, when things were obviously in decline. I would like to have seen changes two years sooner than they happened. In any case, I think most fans nowadays believe we can or should succeed. Back in the 70's success in football was viewed as unattainable.

Three winning seasons in his last ELEVEN and he's "the most successful coach ever" at Wake. What does that tell you about a fanbase being "habituated to failure"?

The Jim Grobe argument is old- there is Grobe 1- involved, aggressive, determined. The Grobe 11- a complacent, resigned quitter. Not hard to understand. The second Jim Grobe is hard for me to get past. Quitter.

We need better players is not hard to understand either. We can be a successful, very good competitive program. Hard to do yes- but very do-able.

Three winning seasons in his last ELEVEN and he's "the most successful coach ever" at Wake. What does that tell you about a fanbase being "habituated to failure"?

The Jim Grobe argument is old- there is Grobe 1- involved, aggressive, determined. The Grobe 11- a complacent, resigned quitter. Not hard to understand. The second Jim Grobe is hard for me to get past. Quitter.

We need better players is not hard to understand either. We can be a successful, very good competitive program. Hard to do yes- but very do-able.

Any argument against Grobe being the GOAT at Wake is so terribly wrong. Even in his down years we were wayyy more competitive than "down years" with other coaches. Hell, one of his final seasons we were like 5-7 but a few bounces from 8-4 or 9-3. Grobe was a magician at Wake and to his credit, we weren't adapting to the rest of the league in regard to facilities which we have now.

I can't think of but maybe 1-2 seasons under Grobe that I went into certain games knowing we were going to lose. The guy flat out had us in 90+% of EVERY game.

Ok Lohengrin, what should Wake Forest do differently to make itself more appealing to the top notch players in the country? A detailed breakdown would be nice.

I would prefer not to hear "fans need to change its mentality" since that has almost nothing at all to do with the football program itself.

A lot of people from the 1970s are among Wake's fanbase, and are influential among Wake's administration. Their mentality infects others in the fanbase to instill the belief in them that this is what we are.

Bullshit. They are the same people that have invested millions in upgrading our facilities. Look, you obviously want to assert that the typical Wale fan embraces futility. I think you are wrong.

Juvenile antics, doofus.

How does Wake Forest work its way out of becoming the "4th best option in the ACC"? You believe that this is primarily the fault of the Wake Forest fanbase who accepts mediocrity and a losing mentality. I don't think a top 250 football recruit gives a damn about what our fan base thinks we can achieve. The only thing he sees are the facilities, the coaches, and the campus. We have without a doubt put forth a lot of investments into all three of those categories.

Clearly you believe we should recruit better, and I sure as hell wouldn't argue with you, but how do we do that? How do we become more appealing to top 250 recruits?

Bullshit. They are the same people that have invested millions in upgrading our facilities. Look, you obviously want to assert that the typical Wale fan embraces futility. I think you are wrong.

Specious argument alert: Take intentional generalization and apply it to one or more specific individual exceptions to ignore the general "rule". Sorry, not playing.

Alright, I'm done here, I'm not going to field haranguing assertions designed to obfuscate the specific points I've made. As macktheknife noted earlier in the thread, what I said was very straightforward.

If you don't like what I've said -- something that is effectively the basis of most of my Wake's problems commentary for decades -- then state that and either prove to me how Wake is a not a failure in sports and its fans (including me to an extent) are not habituated to it, or just leave it alone. I'm not the Donald Trump of sports turnarounds, so I'm not producing a point-by-point agenda that can be proffered to the AD for a fee to make Wake Great [for once]. If you see no merit in what I've posted, then don't try to feign genuine argument on it. The tacit support of futility by Wake's fans is rivaled only by the futility of the arguments typically pursued on these message boards.

Grobe himself said that Wake's ACC Championship and OB appearance were flukes, and that he regretted that Wake fans believed that that success could be sustained.

And I guarantee you that you would never hear these words out of Clawson.

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...634-massive-ot-edwards-commits-to-wake-forest. According to this Mike Edwards chose wake over offers from Louisille Virginia Tech State and Carolina among others. You would get the impression from some here that we beat out Old Dominion for every one of our commitments. The truth of the matter is even Duke with a 10-year head coach and success is still going to have a hard time beating State and Carolina in the recruiting ratings and their classes will be much closer to wake classes in talent than they would be to the elite schools in the ACC. I think we can get to that level recruiting but it's going to be a long process Grobe had the opportunity but he kind of got satisfied I don't see that Clawson

Follow the argument, doofus. No one is making the argument you're wanting to argue.

What is your argument? I read it to be "Wake doesn't recruit at an a good enough level because its fans are content with what is occurring". Is that not true?

For that I apologize in incorrectly surmising your argument. I would still like to hear how you think Wake could improve from a recruiting standpoint to get to where you are happy with it.

Back