• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Trey Rucker seems to have had the best season on the defensive side of the ball with 87 total tackles a FF and an Int for Ok state.
Rucker also got arrested for a DUI in September, which was his second DUI. I think the first DUI also included assault of a police officer.

Can't say I'm overly upset about that one

I think it just reflects the attitude of our coaching staff. Duke has been able to pull 4 stars for a decade. They’ve been worse than us except for about 2 years during that decade and will always be second fiddle to bball. There is no reason we shouldn’t be able to do the same other than that we aren’t even trying to go for those guys.
Like it or not, Duke is able to attract better players than we can. We don't have their endowment, basketball program, or international prestige as a top 10 school. We can beat them for regional guys but they're going to get elite national smart prep guys school guys that won't even consider us. Success on the field has little to do with our recruiting success or lack thereof sadly.

Here is a couple quick hits of 2023 stats for guys who transferred:
Christian Tuner had 52 carries for 227 yards and 4 TD at IU
Gavin Holmes had 15 tackles and 1 pass break up for Texas
Bernard Gooden had 7 tackle at USF
Jackson Hensley had 12 catches for 129 yards and 2 TDs at EKU
Rondell Bothroyd had 25 tackles and 1 FR for OU
Ahmani Marshall had 20 carries for 65 yards and 2 TDs for App
Shamar McCullum had 10 solo tackles and a sack for Georgia State
All the Waydale Jones had 2 catches and 2 TDS for Abilene Christian.

Trey Rucker seems to have had the best season on the defensive side of the ball with 87 total tackles a FF and an Int for Ok state.

surprised Rucker remained on the team after his shenanigans with the Police. . . guess the standard at OKSt is different if you commit a hit a run and the police follow your fluid trail, then you start a fight with them, all while screaming your innocence. . . :unsure:

surprised Rucker remained on the team after his shenanigans with the Police. . . guess the standard at OKSt is different if you commit a hit a run and the police follow your fluid trail, then you start a fight with them, all while screaming your innocence. . . :unsure:
he seems primed for the NFL. . .

I forgot he was around until I saw he forced the game-winning fumble in OT against BYU on Saturday.

Maybe surprising at most schools, at Oklahoma State..... Not surprising. Posted this earlier, when he was a true frosh, Rucker picked off Jordan Love when WF edged Utah State at home. That game was played on August 30, 2019.

wasn't it Trey Rucker that had that pick 6 on the fake FG try by Army in 2021? Where he was covering one guy, then as the punter released the pass to a different very open receiver, he broke about 15 yards and picked it off

edit: nope that was Traveon Redd

carry on

I'm ok at QB if Kern comes back. I'd rather see about 80% of available scholarships go to linemen if we can get them. The Syracuse game was the big time reality check for Clawson. They had nothing but their lines and they simply used them to bulldoze us down the field. As many of you know, I've harped on the lack of size in our lines throughout Clawson's tenure. But like every other issue I've disagreed with, I rarely have seen change that I thought was needed. I'm not an arrogant SOB, it's just that sometimes what we can see in observation seems so plain. For instance, if there was an explanation for why Marucci was held out, I feel like Clawson should explain that. (I'm referring to the fact he said he wanted to play Kern earlier but that both he and Griffis were banged up after the Virginia Tech game Kern worse), hence starting Griffis again.Issues such as this one.

Last edited:
Like it or not, Duke is able to attract better players than we can. We don't have their endowment, basketball program, or international prestige as a top 10 school. We can beat them for regional guys but they're going to get elite national smart prep guys school guys that won't even consider us. Success on the field has little to do with our recruiting success or lack thereof sadly.
Wake has almost twice as many players in the NFL as Duke does (14 for Wake, 8 for Duke). Also, this century Wake has had 32 draft picks; Duke has had 7.

Wake has almost twice as many players in the NFL as Duke does (14 for Wake, 8 for Duke). Also, this century Wake has had 32 draft picks; Duke has had 7.

Point taken but I was responding to the point about signing more 4 star players- "attracting" talent - not "producing" talent. Won't argue that we've produced more talent than Duke but "on paper"- they'll beat us in the recruiting rankings most of the time. As we all have seen with the 4 star players we have signed last several years that haven't banned out, it doesn't necessarily spell success.

I'm ok at QB if Kern comes back. I'd rather see about 80% of available scholarships go to linemen if we can get them. The Syracuse game was the big time reality check for Clawson. They had nothing but their lines and they simply used them to bulldoze us down the field. As many of you know, I've harped on the lack of size in our lines throughout Clawson's tenure. But like every other issue I've disagreed with, I rarely have seen change that I thought was needed. I'm not an arrogant SOB, it's just that sometimes what we can see in observation seems so plain. For instance, if there was an explanation for why Marucci was held out, I feel like Clawson should explain that. (I'm referring to the fact he said he wanted to play Kern earlier but that both he and Griffis were banged up after the Virginia Tech game Kern worse), hence starting Griffis again.Issues such as this one.

Yeah, it's one thing to get bulldozed against Clemson or FSU but there shouldn't be that big of a disparity against Cuse. If they can get bigger guys- we should be able to.

Yeah, it's one thing to get bulldozed against Clemson or FSU but there shouldn't be that big of a disparity against Cuse. If they can get bigger guys- we should be able to.
What a difference a year makes. In 22, the Wake O-line had their way with the FSU D-line. Remember the late game 8 minute drive Wake's offense had to seal the win? The Wake O-line just mauled the FSU D-line.

What a difference a year makes. In 22, the Wake O-line had their way with the FSU D-line. Remember the late game 8 minute drive Wake's offense had to seal the win? The Wake O-line just mauled the FSU D-line.

Hate to say it but I think that game was an anomaly- that drive and the drive against State in 2021 at home to ice the game with an Ellison TD are the only long sustained drives in crunch time I remember against ACC competition last couple of years where we were mauling the opposition.

Hate to say it but I think that game was an anomaly- that drive and the drive against State in 2021 at home to ice the game with an Ellison TD are the only long sustained drives in crunch time I remember against ACC competition last couple of years where we were mauling the opposition.
Big difference is that in years past the Wake O-line was able to keep the defense off Sam long enough for "drives," like the two play 75 yard one Kern had, to occur.

Big difference is that in years past the Wake O-line was able to keep the defense off Sam long enough for "drives," like the two play 75 yard one Kern had, to occur.

True- some of it is obviously QB play and holding ball too long for the mesh but sometimes you have to milk the clock and run out clock and blast other team off the ball and we haven't been able to do that in a long time.

Rucker to Stillwater was always a weird one to me -- he left pre-NIL, right? So don't think it was a big (above the table) offer or anything.

He's from Virginia (same high school as Randolph Childress, I believe), so don't think he had any connections to the area.

And unlike Bothroyd, he wasn't going to some blue blood program.

Back