• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

100% agree. Not only do our dl and ol seem over-matched, but it seems like we are not as physical at other positions , with the exception of Mustapha and a few others. How often have we seen the other team's running backs break tackles or gain at least 4 or 5 yds. after contact.

100% agree. Not only do our dl and ol seem over-matched, but it seems like we are not as physical at other positions , with the exception of Mustapha and a few others. How often have we seen the other team's running backs break tackles or gain at least 4 or 5 yds. after contact.
If we could upgrade the Oline through the portal and get another really good DT to go along with Pointer, I'd be perfectly happy with the other positions if Kern comes back. For all the complicated offensive schemes and the 4-2-5's and 3-3-5 defenses, football is still a game that starts up front. Our Oline actually played pretty well against Cuse and Kern was able to flourish. A really good QB will struggle behind a bad Oline, an average QB can play well behind a good Oline.

If we could upgrade the Oline through the portal and get another really good DT to go along with Pointer, I'd be perfectly happy with the other positions if Kern comes back. For all the complicated offensive schemes and the 4-2-5's and 3-3-5 defenses, football is still a game that starts up front. Our Oline actually played pretty well against Cuse and Kern was able to flourish. A really good QB will struggle behind a bad Oline, an average QB can play well behind a good Oline.

Problem is you don't see a lot of O-Line guys in the portal generally speaking. It's paid a lot of dividends already on DL last few years - picking up guys like Miles Fox, Luiji Vilain, and Kobie Turner. We don't get those guys out of HS.

I guess we could have gotten Fox or Turner since they were lower FBS and FCS transfers.

I guess we could have gotten Fox or Turner since they were lower FBS and FCS transfers.

I don't know if they would have qualified academically and if they had been qualified- they wouldn't have been on our radar. They definitely bulked up in college and we were able to take advantage of smaller developmental programs.

Problem is you don't see a lot of O-Line guys in the portal generally speaking. It's paid a lot of dividends already on DL last few years - picking up guys like Miles Fox, Luiji Vilain, and Kobie Turner. We don't get those guys out of HS.
I’m not sure any trends are reliable at this point in the game. We just had a LS enter the portal. I think most players will test the waters eventually. It would be fiscally irresponsible not to.

I’m not sure any trends are reliable at this point in the game. We just had a LS enter the portal. I think most players will test the waters eventually. It would be fiscally irresponsible not to.

Don't disagree with that but it's just hard to gauge how good an OL is compared to a DL generally speaking. OL play doesn't show up as easily and is so much more dependent on scheme, running back, other OL, opponents, etc. It's very hard to pinpoint- "hey that guy is going to be a stud"

Don't disagree with that but it's just hard to gauge how good an OL is compared to a DL generally speaking. OL play doesn't show up as easily and is so much more dependent on scheme, running back, other OL, opponents, etc. It's very hard to pinpoint- "hey that guy is going to be a stud"
Sure. I do think that Tabacca is a good eye for talent, so increased hog mollies in the portal with college film and S&C could benefit us.

What a difference a year makes. In 22, the Wake O-line had their way with the FSU D-line. Remember the late game 8 minute drive Wake's offense had to seal the win? The Wake O-line just mauled the FSU D-line.
I agree that O line has had some years where they shined but still not like a progression from year 1 of Clawson to a steady strength of the team. D-line has really been a bottom dweller. When we had 1 or 2 good players (a Boogie or a Vilian), we still gave up big rushing numbers.

I agree that O line has had some years where they shined but still not like a progression from year 1 of Clawson to a steady strength of the team. D-line has really been a bottom dweller. When we had 1 or 2 good players (a Boogie or a Vilian), we still gave up big rushing numbers.
Yeah but it’s been a while - Feels like maybe 2019 when we had Tom, Herron, Gilliam - all 3 that went to play in NFL. Guess it’s as simple as that

Yeah but it’s been a while - Feels like maybe 2019 when we had Tom, Herron, Gilliam - all 3 that went to play in NFL. Guess it’s as simple as that
Yup. "Jimmies and Joes...."

Gotta have the dudes on the O-line. And that means guys who are at least good enough to get undrafted free Agent camp invitations.

Are we good with our commits? Don't need anyone backing out late, especially Hecklinski.

Working for a recruiting-centric site has not changed my opinion that recruiting rankings suck ass.
Thank you Conner!

Drives me crazy when anyone acts a 86 versus 89 or a two star versus three star means anything. If there was a talent evaluator who could accurately rank a guard from CT versus a ILB from WV versus a S from Florida, he wouldn't be working for 247 or Rivals or some other website. Zach Tom (who is now a top 5 NFL OT according to PFF) was a 2 star; in the 2017 WF recruiting class, Tom was rated behind Allan Rappleyea as an OL, who never took a meaningful snap at WF, and I believe he's now in law school. KW3 (who an NFL ROY finalist in 2022) was a 2 star; in the 2019 WF recruiting class, was rated behind RB Kendrall Flowers, Flowers ran for a total of 10 yards this year for N. Illinois. Beyond the top 250 or so players in the country (and that may be generous) recruiting rankings are wild guesses. TBH, they are also guesses for the coaches that actually recruit the players, but at least coaches' guesses are based on more time and research. To think that any service can accurately rank every HS football player that could be a college prospect is so ridiculous.

Back