• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Timmy,

So many flaws.

Lets start with the 2023 Duke OL. In their two deep, they had 7 grad students and/or seniors who are not returning in 2024. So, on the Devils OL two deep for the upcoming season, Duke returns one OL starter, and two freshman that essentianially did not play -- that is it. WF had two seniors on its 2023 OL two deep and returns 8 players. So, Duke naturally is going to need to fill more OL holes than WF. Why was this not mentioned in your analysis?

On Duke's 2023 two deep depth chart overall, they had over 20 seniors and/or grad students (some places on the depth chart went into multiple positions like nickel), not counting Riley Leonard. WF had seven, one of whom was Chase Jones, who didn't take a snap last year. So, elementary roster construction would tell you that, with many more returning players, WF had fewer roster spots to fill and on the OL, in particular, did not have OL holes that Duke has. Clawson believes in primarily building his roster through HS recruiting and development. As opposed to returning three guys on the OL two deep and then hoping guys from Penn, Cornell and Holy Cross and fill the openings.

If you would prefer that WF run off half its roster and then fill it with grad students from the Patriot and Ivy Leagues, send your application to WF as recruiting coordinator.
So you're saying they used the portal to fill immediate needs rather than relying up development and recruitment of HS players? I thoughts that what we were taking about. I didn't think it needed to be said in bold, but I will be sure to put my thesis statement on top my posts from now on. Duke also decided to bring in 15 HS recruits rather than the 21 Wake did. BC only brought in 13 HS recruits. Vtech 16. More schools are leaving spots open to bring in players who can compete right away and fill needs.

Also are you saying Wake's O-line was good enough last year that we didn't need to find guys to come in and challenge for position? We will be fine just bringing back 3 of the 5 starters from last year? I can't keep it straight if our line was good last year or terrible, anyways most of them are coming back.

Yes, I think we should run off players like Elmonus, C. Greene, BJ Williams s or anyone else who can't make the two deep after their 3rd year and bring in FCS grad transfers who were all-conference.

Maybe I will. I can be the next Joe Moglia.

Just like an 80° day in Washington DC, I think we have by far set a new record for earliest in the year that Timmy has written a 1000 word post about why Clawson sucks

Now that colleges are signing fewer HS kids than in the past, think that there is more value in HS recruiting for WF; as based on the fact that FBS schools are signing far fewer HS players than they did at any time in the past, WF should be signing better HS recruits than ever.

This is the money ball principle. There is most value in where your competitors are neglecting the talent pool. Right now, less focus is on the HS pool and more on the transfer portal pool. Obviously, succeeding with HS recruiting requires that WF is able to spot the best HS players available, and WF is able to develop them. Have always felt that was a strength of this staff, until the 2023 season. We shall see which way the trend goes, but I have no problem with WF putting more emphasis on HS recruiting than the transfer portal under the current environment. WF should still look to augment through the portal, but perhaps, not rely on it as heavily as others.

Just like an 80° day in Washington DC, I think we have by far set a new record for earliest in the year that Timmy has written a 1000 word post about why Clawson sucks
Nah, I just wish I could be as content with mediocrity and complacency as you are.

Now that colleges are signing fewer HS kids than in the past, think that there is more value in HS recruiting for WF; as based on the fact that FBS schools are signing far fewer HS players than they did at any time in the past, WF should be signing better HS recruits than ever.

This is the money ball principle. There is most value in where your competitors are neglecting the talent pool. Right now, less focus is on the HS pool and more on the transfer portal pool. Obviously, succeeding with HS recruiting requires that WF is able to spot the best HS players available, and WF is able to develop them. Have always felt that was a strength of this staff, until the 2023 season. We shall see which way the trend goes, but I have no problem with WF putting more emphasis on HS recruiting than the transfer portal under the current environment. WF should still look to augment through the portal, but perhaps, not rely on it as heavily as others.
I hear you with this argument, but doesn’t that mean we should be getting a caliber of HS players that we haven’t before? To me, the recruiting seems relatively the same as the last 5 years.

HS recruiting rankings are largely bullshit; particularly after the five star recruits, even so, IIRC, this past HS recruiting class was the highest rated WF class.

Recruiting ranking is a predictive score, like the SATs, they don’t guarantee a player will be successful in college, but they are indicative of a greater likelihood of success. Much like the SATs, the more high scoring people you bring in, the more likely you are to find more successful people.

I read a great story about Brock Purdy meeting Nick Saban and Saban told Purdy “you’re below average height, your arm strength is whatever and your accuracy average.” Which were all true at the time, but like Nick Saban, the recruiting rankings couldn’t analyze potential or desire.

If you don’t trust rankings, you can always see what other schools offered the player. If they have offers from SEC schools and not Patriot league schools, then they probably are more desirable (they will probably have a higher ranking as well).

Wake did have a higher ranking this year than years previously, but the overall ranking score is based off of total points, so a team with more recruits is going to get a score higher. If you want to go by this metric you can but maybe a more accurate one would be the average rating of the class.

Recruiting ranking is a predictive score, like the SATs, they don’t guarantee a player will be successful in college, but they are indicative of a greater likelihood of success. Much like the SATs, the more high scoring people you bring in, the more likely you are to find more successful people.

I read a great story about Brock Purdy meeting Nick Saban and Saban told Purdy “you’re below average height, your arm strength is whatever and your accuracy average.” Which were all true at the time, but like Nick Saban, the recruiting rankings couldn’t analyze potential or desire.

If you don’t trust rankings, you can always see what other schools offered the player. If they have offers from SEC schools and not Patriot league schools, then they probably are more desirable (they will probably have a higher ranking as well).

Wake did have a higher ranking this year than years previously, but the overall ranking score is based off of total points, so a team with more recruits is going to get a score higher. If you want to go by this metric you can but maybe a more accurate one would be the average rating of the class.
Yep. I go through every player each year and only look at offers. This class is the same as the last 5ish years.

Yep. I go through every player each year and only look at offers. This class is the same as the last 5ish years.
However, if major schools are now devoting more of their scholarship offers and attention to the portal (likely), then you would expect the number and quality of HS offers to drift downward. For a given talent level, a prospect should have fewer/lower quality offers than they would have had 5 years ago. If you are correct that your offer analysis shows no change over that time, it may mean that we are getting higher quality recruits.

However, if major schools are now devoting more of their scholarship offers and attention to the portal (likely), then you would expect the number and quality of HS offers to drift downward. For a given talent level, a prospect should have fewer/lower quality offers than they would have had 5 years ago. If you are correct that your offer analysis shows no change over that time, it may mean that we are getting higher quality recruits.
That’s a decent point. I guess we’ll see on the field!

Well look at it this way. Class of 25 QB commit is ranked in the 40s for QB, but held offers from Miami and A&M. Hewlett's dad trains Wolford in the off-season, so he sees first hand what he can learn at Wake. Hecklinski's dad and uncle were both D1 Quarterbacks, so they have an understanding of what is needed at the D1 level as well. Just because the system may be changing, doesn't mean Clawson's way of recruiting will, he has a blueprint and is still going to work from it.

If you haven't read up on Will Hewlett yet though, he is pretty interesting, so its worth checking him out.

Eh, KJ Trujilo. I think Conor said that Walker Merrill was hurt part of the season, Drako was hurt, Jaeger Bull was just a weird addition, but he did play, Terrane Davis was hurt. Everyone else saw the field pretty regularly.

Clawson has hit in the portal. Last season our best DL, LB and DB were all transfers. Luiji Viliain was also a great addition. The offense has been different though. He hasn't really hit on anyone for an offensive transfer (Turner was average), instead he has been relying on developing players. You could argue that he never thought he needed the transfers on offense, because we had the players, but complacency breeds mediocrity.
Which one or who was the Tennessee receiver?

Walker Merrill. He was injured against VT and missed the rest of the season. Merrill is expected to be on the roster in 2024, and will have an opportunity to get snaps.

HS recruiting rankings are largely bullshit; particularly after the five star recruits, even so, IIRC, this past HS recruiting class was the highest rated WF class.
Looking at play on the field, I do not see where we have made signifigant gains in recruiting vs. our conference foes. Most likely will be that way for perpetuity,certainly I will be dead before that. Not defeatist, but there is room/need for improvement and as always we will need to find alternative ways to develop our teams and compete. Highest rated can be a number of things. Tough world out there in college football, maybe now more than ever or at least in a long time. Was tough on the "smaller" market teams before there was an 85 limit on scholarship players.

Back