• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Louisville Thread

Silly comment...first, your math is off - we would have had to shoot 84% (27-32) to make up the difference, second, you are aware that Louisville didn't exactly excel on the line either. Finally, expecting us to shoot close to 84+% is ridiculous (FACT: we are a poor foul shooting team, 70% would be excellent for the Deacs). Why not just say had we shot 62+% from the field we could have won? :wtf:

It's not at all as you project it. Had we made five more FTs (this would have made us 12-32 {about 68%}, we could have had a six point lead with about five minutes to go.

This would have dramatically changed how the last five minutes were played. They may have to foul us more. The pressure could have changed a lot of things.

You can't just extrapolate the shots to the final score. You have to put makes during the game.

Silly comment...first, your math is off - we would have had to shoot 84% (27-32) to make up the difference, second, you are aware that Louisville didn't exactly excel on the line either. Finally, expecting us to shoot close to 84+% is ridiculous (FACT: we are a poor foul shooting team, 70% would be excellent for the Deacs). Why not just say had we shot 62+% from the field we could have won? :wtf:

Well if the math was wrong maybe it was an 80sDeac after all.

It was pretty funny to see how homerific Brad D sounded for us at times tonight.

He sounds homerific for both squads, but not in a ridiculous way. That's his best quality. Great to see him do a game on a day honoring one of the most tolerable Tarheels.

Yeah he was a homer for both. Thought that Thomas and Harrell were gods gift to earth and tonight I suppose they were. That was an absolute battle out there. Devin was a man.

Tonight was the first time in years that I thought we're on the right track. Those guys played their balls off on defense, and if Jones doesn't hit shots that he never will again, we hung with the fifth ranked team in the country and our guys didn't look scared.

amazingly few blown calls for a Karl Hess officiated game

the reason? probably because they made fewer calls and therefore had fewer chances to screw up

you might keep that bit of common sense in mind going forward Karl

The road to the NIT is paved with moral victories like these.

Congratulations, Wake Forest Demon Deacons!

Yeah he was a homer for both. Thought that Thomas and Harrell were gods gift to earth and tonight I suppose they were. That was an absolute battle out there. Devin was a man.

Devin was unreal. That was one of the best performances I've seen from a Deac in long time against top flight competition. Great stats, played smart, stayed out of foul trouble, and got the opposition in foul trouble. Glad DM didn't cast him aside because of early season temper issues and unnecessary sideshows....

That is also the fastest and hardest I've seen this team play since CP was the PG.

Didn't see all of it but was impressed with the effort in the 2nd half. I'm still pretty beaten down after the last 4 years, but there is definitely hope down the road.

How was the attendance? Sounded decent on TV when we pulled ahead in the second half but I could not watch long enough to see any shots of the crowd.

Didn't see all of it but was impressed with the effort in the 2nd half. I'm still pretty beaten down after the last 4 years, but there is definitely hope down the road.

The sun is still not shining, but it looks like the rain is letting up.

How was the attendance? Sounded decent on TV when we pulled ahead in the second half but I could not watch long enough to see any shots of the crowd.

Box score shows 10862. The lower bowl looked full on tv. A couple of times I could see upstairs and it looked empty pass the first few rows but may have been more there. I looked on stub hub in the afternoon and there were upstairs tickets for under 7.00.

My guess is Manning would absolutely love to start Dinos but his defense just isn't there yet. Despite his empty box scores Leonard does a good job helping Devin out inside. With Rountree out there's really nobody else with the size to play the 4 spot without putting Devin on an island even more so than he already is.

First time in a long time I've thought the whole was greater than the sum of its parts for us. The one play they consistently beat us on was the high pick and roll where Rozier and Jones kept hitting tough jumpers from just inside the 3 point line. Even though that's absolutely the shot you want them taking and I get why we played it the way we did - against good teams you simply have to be able to defend better than that. We consistently were getting squarely picked on those plays, whereas on offense we seem to really struggle to set a good pick. There was one play where I think McClinton humorously kept trying to set a pick further and further out until he was basically in front of Manning.

They're not a great 3 point shooting team so I would have liked to have seen our guards slipping under the picks against Jones until he hit a 3, especially since when a pick was good enough to force a switch it meant a layup for him.

Duke runs the same picks but they have guys who can shoot it, so we may be in for a long night Wednesday unless we improve our pick and roll coverage.

Outside of that though, that game offers big time hope. That was pretty clearly a less talented team playing great team basketball losing out to an extremely talented team hitting difficult shots. It's one thing to hang with a highly ranked team on an off night. But Louisville had great individual efforts and Wake put up a great team effort. I mean, Dinos/Leonard/Hudson combined to go 0 for 8 from deep and we missed 15 free throws. Give me those stats ahead of time and I would have bet any amount of money we'd have lost by 20+.

And just a monster effort from Devin. When he dives to the basket and our guards find him - he can be a force. His size limits him a bit with his back to the basket in traditional post situations - which earns him an unfair amount of criticism, but his quickness and his defensive positioning are pretty damn awesome. The 2nd half he put on Harrell last night was crazy good.

Back