• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

I don't know, that's such a tough question, especially with a sort of iconic guy like Grobe who has had unprecedented success at Wake. I want to win some damn football games. Ultimately it's up to him to make good personnel decisions and get this thing turned around, but I think he can get it done. You make good points.

As long as everybody is on the same page about the bold, then I have faith that we're going to win again sooner rather than later.

Just think we all need to have some perspective. If we fired Grobe, most people outside of the Wake Forest bubble would say "what the hell are you doing???". This is a traditionally terrible program that has been stabilized and has had some success. Firing Grobe and expecting to land somebody who a) would actually want to come to Wake (small pool), and b) would be able to be more successful than Grobe (history has shown this to be an even smaller pool), is a HUGE gamble. I think Grobe needs to make an executive decision and change his coordinators... and this does happen at other programs. Maybe not in the same offseason all the time, but Les Miles comes to mind who changed his OC and DC in a short period of time.

I don't think most people who have seen a Wake Forest game this season would question it one bit.

I think the Auburn comparison is an interesting one for multiple reasons...

I don't think most people who have seen a Wake Forest game this season would question it one bit.

I think the Auburn comparison is an interesting one for multiple reasons...

And the Tedford one. And the Franklin contrast. And seeing State's standards with TOB.

A lot of really interesting parallels with other programs today.

We should just hire whoever Camp worked out with over the summer for the Strength training position.

We should just hire whoever Camp worked out with over the summer for the Strength training position.

I I think pigskin would be ok with this too haha.

A few Wake guys work out with the Camapanaro's in the off-season as well. Matt James and JRoc always got pretty good results if I recall correctly.

I don't care if you've been a fan for 100 years, this program has been regressing for 4 years now, and none of the apologistic "perspective" talk changes that. We're getting embarrassed weekly on a national stage by teams of our own stature, so who gives a fuck if we beat Army & Liberty in weeks 1-3? Those cupcake wins may have meant something in 1973, but they don't mean anything now, and Grobe deserves to be fired if the only teams he can beat are terrible. The next person that brings up "perspective" in a discussion relating to our athletics programs can take a long leap off a short pier.

There is a way to be appreciative of Grobe's advancement of the program while also recognizing that it's his time to go. I don't understand why that distinction is still so hard for some to make. The Orange Bowl appearance shouldn't have guaranteed a lifetime contract, and it should have raised expectations and benchmarks for the program. Instead, Grobe's (still) getting repeated reprieves from certain portions of the fan base, and the program has regressed since '06, rather than evolved. What he is doing here is not impossible. If somebody really believes that no other coach can get ACC-worst recruiting classes or back into 5 or 6 win seasons, then they're not worth talking to. And that doesn't even acknowledge Grobe's horrendous in-game decision making, or his coordinators' playcalling, or his sudden loss of the players off the field.

Maybe in fantasy land that's true... at the end of the day this is still Wake Forest. If it was easy for somebody to come in here and "raise the level of the program" it would have happened at some point before 2001. Expecting us to continue to improve and improve until ultimately be a 9-win team every year guaranteed is naive. Let's face it, Wake Forest is a tough place to consistently have that level of success. No, virtually impossible. Grobe has done it better than anybody else in our history, so that's why I'm reluctant to just kick him to the curb and go after some unicorn of a future head coach that people seem to think would come here. If they were that good, they'd go to a bigger program. If they did come here, they'd leave after a few good years to go to a bigger program. Grobe is a unique guy who has proven he can get the job done.

I get that we want to be respectful of what Grobe has brought to our university. There is no doubt that the program was night and day better for the first half of Grobe's tenure, but why anyone is worried about letting Grobe go is beyond me. It sounds like we just need to hire Lambert back and get Hood as assistant HC, as apparently they were the key to Grobe's success. He is not that involved and he is not an inspirational leader, so what really does he bring to the table?

And for anyone who questions letting go of the only coach to bring any success, just remind them of the last four losing seasons and the ridiculous number of ass poundings we have taken over those four years. Throw in transfers, suspensions, and overall crappy morale of the players and this can't be that hard of a sell.

I'm telling you guys. This is bigger than any other problem in our program. You wonder why guys are missing tackles, have "no fire" this guy has to be the first one to go!

I've seen tweets alluding to this on the twitter...now they make sense.

Is it to much to ask to at the minimum bring in a new DC and offensive guru as OC? If Grobe has to go that is ok, but I want a guy known to bring an exciting O to every game every week. This would excite recruits at skill positions and our fan base.

We have been to what 12 bowls and half of them were under Grobe that is the only reason why I am a little cautious.

Maybe in fantasy land that's true... at the end of the day this is still Wake Forest. If it was easy for somebody to come in here and "raise the level of the program" it would have happened at some point before 2001. Expecting us to continue to improve and improve until ultimately be a 9-win team every year guaranteed is naive. Let's face it, Wake Forest is a tough place to consistently have that level of success. No, virtually impossible. Grobe has done it better than anybody else in our history, so that's why I'm reluctant to just kick him to the curb and go after some unicorn of a future head coach that people seem to think would come here. If they were that good, they'd go to a bigger program. If they did come here, they'd leave after a few good years to go to a bigger program. Grobe is a unique guy who has proven he can get the job done.

See, this is what I disagree with and I'll bet Ron Wellman does, too. Otherwise, how do you give a coach a salary bump to $2.3 million dollars. If he was rewarded for getting us into 8-win range consistently in 2006-2008, then he should be expected to keep us there for the duration of his contract. That means upping his effort in recruiting, hiring coordinators that are going to put us in the place to succeed and likewise making changes when they're not (ahem, Lobo's career), and showing some emotion on the sideline. If he does that and we have a disappointing season, then I'm fine.

What I'm not fine with is this utter disgrace of a season, with horrific offense and defense year in and year out without any sort of moral victory outside of beating what turned out to be an extremely overrated Carolina squad, and without any improvement or sustained success on the recruiting trail. I respect Grobe, too, but I'm losing respect for a guy that pockets $2+ mil a year and can sleep at night/live with himself for being so bad at his job for so long.

Is it to much to ask to at the minimum bring in a new DC and offensive guru as OC? If Grobe has to go that is ok, but I want a guy known to bring an exciting O to every game every week. This would excite recruits at skill positions and our fan base.

A creative OC does so much for a program. Having one would elevate recruiting.

And it isn't that people expect a 9 win year every season, but we don't expect the best season over a 4 year span (that's a class of students) to be a 6 win one.

Somebody give me a quick rundown. Is it looking like Grobe is going to be fired? Lobo? Knorr?

And it isn't that people expect a 9 win year every season, but we don't expect the best season over a 4 year span (that's a class of students) to be a 6 win one.

And when it happens twice (2001-2005 +/- 2002 and 2009-2012, then it's harder to believe that 2006-2008 is going to happen again...

What job is he getting done again? What job did he get done against Vandy? State? Clemson? Maryland? Florida State? Why don't you tell me how many bowl games Jim Grobe has won here without Riley Skinner and Alphonso Smith?

We have been to what 12 bowls and half of them were under Grobe that is the only reason why I am a little cautious.

I'm not disputing our shittiness prior to Grobe, but bowl appearances is a bad measure. I mean the the 1970 ACC championship team did not go to a bowl, while a couple of things go the other way and this shitty 5-7 team could've gone.

So yes, Grobe's success from 06-08 was special, our teams have not looked any better the last four years than Caldwell's last four. The records are not that different, and I would argue Caldwell was coaching in a stronger conference than what has been the case recently.

For those that didn't check the Caldwell comparison thread. I went through the numbers and wins/losses & money earned.

This year Grobe got $460,000 check per win. Unacceptable. To top that number off, he's had 36-39 record, with a conference record of 21-27 since the 2006 season. He's made $13,800,000 in the six seasons since, excluding incentives for the 3 bowls we've made it to. The check per win comes out to be $383,333. The check per conference win comes out to be $657,142.

Back