• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

The cowardly remark doesn't seem that far off base. Any more ideas on how we can lower ourselves further to make a toilet bowl every year? Instead of running scared from Vandy, how about we have some balls and actually try to improve the program and hold the coaching staff responsible?

OK, let's throw out the fact that we'd have to pay a ton of money to fire Grobe... who the hell do you think would actually take this job? A traditional ACC bottom dweller... what "up-and-coming" hot shot coach do you actually think would want to come here with all of the limitations? Sure, I'd love to compete for national championships every year, but I live in the real world.

OK, let's throw out the fact that we'd have to pay a ton of money to fire Grobe... who the hell do you think would actually take this job? A traditional ACC bottom dweller... what "up-and-coming" hot shot coach do you actually think would want to come here with all of the limitations? Sure, I'd love to compete for national championships every year, but I live in the real world.

Nobody in this thread expects us to compete for national championships. Cut out the hyperbole. I don't think it is too much a stretch to expect us to win 7 games a season with peaks at 8-9 wins occasionally.

And I live in the real world where $2.3 million is overpaying for 5 wins per season.

5-7
3-9
6-7
5-7
19-30

5-6
3-8
7-5
2-9
19-28

Last four years for Grobe and Caldwell and totals. Grobe had a very non-LOWF three year stretch, but the last four have been no better than pre-Grobe. And having watched our teams play, it is just ugly, uninspired, uninteresting football.

Ultimately, isn't this the real problem. Most of us could accept losing if Wake looked good and played hard, inspired, interesting and close games.

When Grobe first got to Wake, we may have lost a lot of games but the games seemed a lot more fun and interesting to watch. I remember having to often give a double take to figure out where the ball was when Wake was on offense.

Now Wake seems so predictable that I can usually call out the plays. If I can call out the plays, then the opposing team certainly isn't having a problem reading Wake's pay calling.

Losses were easier to stomach early on. Everyone always said, "Grobe will never get blown out, he'll always keep it close. That is what I like about him." For the most part that was true. What happened to that?

Wait is this for real? I've heard rumors that our conditioning was bad when Bilitch left, but if this is true, WTF is happening to our program?

Heard the same back when the Orlebar brothers left.

haven't heard anything yet but from talking to many of the players....One of the biggest problems with this program that no one is really talking about is ethan reeves. He is a complete idiot who has a wrestling back round and has no clue when it comes to football training. Just look at the players at the begining of the season then at the end. They shrink! The worst part about about it is that he makes them work their ass off during the season so they are all over trained. They all do the same workout..... lineman, backs all do the same workout. The nutrition with this program is trash. They are fed hot dogs and chips after practice. They are over worked and malnutritioned. (sp) This is a tired team each and every week that shows up on saturday. Reeves breaks them down in the weight room and Grobe has gone to pads all week for 18 periods on mon-thursday. Common sense has left the building... Oh and btw Knorr has to go. Injuries can be used as an excuse for the offense but not defense. he is clueless and the players do not believe in him for one second.

Whoa...Legit?

I think having a team that looked good from time to time, played hard, inspired, interesting and close games would probably be in that 65 range of Sagarin. It'd be hard for all that to be true and us continue to be so bad.

I would have taken 5-7 if we were competitive in every game and looked like we cared.

I think having a team that looked good from time to time, played hard, inspired, interesting and close games would probably be in that 65 range of Sagarin. It'd be hard for all that to be true and us continue to be so bad.

I would have taken 5-7 if we were competitive in every game and looked like we cared.

This.

exactly. We struggled in our wins and we're completely embarrassed, out smarted and out worked in our losses.

This. My sophomore year (2005) was the type of 5-7 I expect. Throw in 2004 as well as I think it had 6 out of 7 losses by a TD or less. Those years were frustrating but they gave hope for the next year. I see no reason to believe we will be better next year with the same staff in place.

I have said it many times, but just compare 2009 Wake Forest to 2012 Wake Forest. Same record, entirely different feel. In 2009 we lost only two games by multiple possessions (and, I contend to this day that we would have put up a fight versus FSU if we hadn't already had so many let downs), this season we lost five games by 28 or more points. In 2009 we blew the pants off Elon, this season we scraped out a 3 point win against Liberty.

The whole season, the whole program just has a funk about it that wasn't there in 2009, but has been hanging about ever since.

It goes back to the 2nd half of the 2009 Maryland game. Took our foot off the accelerator and been searching for it ever since.

It goes back to the 2nd half of the 2009 Maryland game. Took our foot off the accelerator and been searching for it ever since.

I know that's a pet theory of yours, but I don't buy it. The end of the 2009 season was nothing like the end of the 2010, 2011, or 2012 seasons. Only the deplorable records were similar. Other than FSU, we fought in each game (before and after Maryland), we haven't fought much since.

I know that's a pet theory of yours, but I don't buy it. The end of the 2009 season was nothing like the end of the 2010, 2011, or 2012 seasons. Only the deplorable records were similar. Other than FSU, we fought in each game (before and after Maryland), we haven't fought much since.

Yeah, I'm not buying that our crap play this year had anything to do with not being able to run the ball in the 2nd half against Maryland 3 plus seasons ago.

Nobody in this thread expects us to compete for national championships. Cut out the hyperbole. I don't think it is too much a stretch to expect us to win 7 games a season with peaks at 8-9 wins occasionally.

Look, I'm not saying I'm OK with the performances we've thrown out there recently. It's been embarrassing and extremely frustrating. I think the OC and DC need to be changed up.

What I am saying is that blowing everything up and cleaning house doesn't guarantee that we'll improve. In fact, if history tells us anything about having success at Wake Forest, it requires a unique approach to things and few people can do it. Most coaches couldn't make it work. Grobe has obviously found a way to be successful here like nobody else. I just want to give him a chance to make the necessary changes... if he doesn't adjust this offseason, then my opinion would change.

p.s. - he's averaged 6 wins per season since the Orange Bowl
p.p.s. - I think we're going bowling next year, based almost exclusively on the fact that our OL will get better

Back