• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

Why are we still talking about Dino? Good god. There were two decisions:

1. What to do with Dino
2. Who to hire if you fire Dino

I think it was obviously the right choice to fire Dino. Plus one in Wellman's cap, way to go for showing balls, etc. It was obviously the wrong decision to hire [Redacted]. He sucks, it's on Wellman, etc. In hindsight it's fine to say "we shouldn't have fired Dino if we were going to hire [Redacted]" and I agree with that sentiment, but that's not how decisions are made. They're made one at a time and the second decision cannot be made until the first one is. It was the right decision to fire Dino at the time and given the opportunity to fire Dino Gaudio again right now, I would still do it. The problem is, was, and continues to be point 2. The fact that people are STILL debating point 1 is so irritating.

No, it's not. Ron Wellman's opinion about Dino shouldn't have been the only deciding factor in that decision. There are still college basketball media members calling us stupid for that move 3 years later, along with how badly it looked to other coaches for us to fire him after making the 2nd round of the tournament. The precedent is set that Wellman will randomly fire a successful coach for personal reasons. Wellman could have just been patient and probably let Dino fire himself a year later.

Why are we still talking about Dino? Good god. There were two decisions:

1. What to do with Dino
2. Who to hire if you fire Dino

I think it was obviously the right choice to fire Dino. Plus one in Wellman's cap, way to go for showing balls, etc. It was obviously the wrong decision to hire [Redacted]. He sucks, it's on Wellman, etc. In hindsight it's fine to say "we shouldn't have fired Dino if we were going to hire [Redacted]" and I agree with that sentiment, but that's not how decisions are made. They're made one at a time and the second decision cannot be made until the first one is. It was the right decision to fire Dino at the time and given the opportunity to fire Dino Gaudio again right now, I would still do it. The problem is, was, and continues to be point 2. The fact that people are STILL debating point 1 is so irritating.

I completely disagree. Anyone with a brain, would consider who the viable replacement options prior to firing a coach. You act like you just decide, " I think I'll fire our coach and figure out if we can get someone better later." Decision 1 shouldn't be completely independent of decision 2. I be shocked if Wellman wasn't 90 percent sure who he was hiring when he fired Dino and the fact that he thought replacing Dino with Jeff [Redacted] was a good idea is an unforgivable miscalculation for an AD.

One reason we keep talking about it is because it is the DCDeac batsignal.

Dino should not have been fired, IF the best replacement was [Redacted]. Ron Wellman got up and gave the reasons for firing Dino and then was exposed as a liar the second he hired [Redacted], because if the reasons for firing Dino were really the ones Wellman gave publically, there is no way you hire [Redacted] to replace him. The question of whether Dino needed to be fired was impossible to answer until we knew who the replacement would be. Since [Redacted] was that replacement, then no Dino didn't need to be fired. If the replacement had been a real coach, with a legitimate record of success, then yes Wellman should've pulled the trigger on Dino. That's not even 20/20 hindsight either. If we had hired a coach that looked to be a legitimate upgrade and we still stunk, I wouldn't look back and say we shouldn't have fired Dino. I would chalk it up to sometimes things don't work out. I think with the [Redacted] hire, 90 percent of us didn't think it would go well.

All this "he's a liar" stuff is such childish melodrama.

For better or for worse, obviously worse at this point, Wellman let Dino pursue the Skip plan of big time recruiting for championship caliber teams on the shoulders of kids like CPIII or James Johnson. One or 2 and dones. He fired Dino because despite getting that level of NBA talent, he still couldn't win even a single ACC tournament game with it.

I think Wellman looked at Grobe and football, he looked at Wake in general, and he looked at Butler as an example and bought into the idea that if we recruit very good players and keep them here 4 years with solid coaching, we can compete more often than if we gamble on big time recruits and lose out on many of them. So he pursued Stevens, missed, and picked a guy he knew a little bit about, a guy who torched one of those big name Wake teams, a guy with NBA contacts, and a guy who if you blind jumble his quotes with Stevens quotes you have zero chance of telling who said which.

Fans don't want to hear any of that "rebuild" nonsense because we went to the tournament the year before. Nobody wanted to acknowledge we returned zero starters from a team that barely limped into the tournament and took a miracle shot to beat a horrible Texas team only to get flat out embarrassed by Kentucky. Or that a highly ranked class might be just another flame-out, which the Stetson game made look awfully likely.

I think he made those changes in good faith. I think he believed they would work and that he loves Wake Forest and wants to have great student athletes that compete AND make the school proud.

I think it's a fair argument to say that in today's game that is naive, outdated, and basically a hopeless endeavor. I think [Redacted] then came in with a very poor first recruiting class that basically set us back an entire year, even if I do think the transfers on the whole were good for the program because most of those kids were either douchebags or not ACC caliber. I mean, I rooted for Chennault but he wouldn't play a minute for this year's team. Carson couldn't even manage Devin's numbers as a sophomore.

The media thinks we're getting better, but they don't really care about us because it's not interesting to slowly build a program on 4-year players until they start winning 20+ games. Which, with [Redacted] at the helm, is likely impossible.

In the summer, guys play defense at about 50%. So, we were excited about his summer play thus far, only? Overall game is not that inspiring, regardless of health issues. You either have "it" or you do not and the true frosh, Devin Thomas, has it - he just needs a lot of experience, but the kid knows how to play and that baby hook with the left hand is going to be lethal.

No real reason to be excited about Green. He was not good last year and was only exciting in the summer, because he wasn't quite as awful. Hasn't really shown any flashes of greatness, unless i missed them somewhere. We still don't have a true big man for next year. Devin and Tyler will need to grow a couple inches and add some serious muscle. But they will both be sophomores, so there is something to be said for experience.

All this "he's a liar" stuff is such childish melodrama.

For better or for worse, obviously worse at this point, Wellman let Dino pursue the Skip plan of big time recruiting for championship caliber teams on the shoulders of kids like CPIII or James Johnson. One or 2 and dones. He fired Dino because despite getting that level of NBA talent, he still couldn't win even a single ACC tournament game with it.

I think Wellman looked at Grobe and football, he looked at Wake in general, and he looked at Butler as an example and bought into the idea that if we recruit very good players and keep them here 4 years with solid coaching, we can compete more often than if we gamble on big time recruits and lose out on many of them. So he pursued Stevens, missed, and picked a guy he knew a little bit about, a guy who torched one of those big name Wake teams, a guy with NBA contacts, and a guy who if you blind jumble his quotes with Stevens quotes you have zero chance of telling who said which.

Fans don't want to hear any of that "rebuild" nonsense because we went to the tournament the year before. Nobody wanted to acknowledge we returned zero starters from a team that barely limped into the tournament and took a miracle shot to beat a horrible Texas team only to get flat out embarrassed by Kentucky. Or that a highly ranked class might be just another flame-out, which the Stetson game made look awfully likely.

I think he made those changes in good faith. I think he believed they would work and that he loves Wake Forest and wants to have great student athletes that compete AND make the school proud.

I think it's a fair argument to say that in today's game that is naive, outdated, and basically a hopeless endeavor. I think [Redacted] then came in with a very poor first recruiting class that basically set us back an entire year, even if I do think the transfers on the whole were good for the program because most of those kids were either douchebags or not ACC caliber. I mean, I rooted for Chennault but he wouldn't play a minute for this year's team. Carson couldn't even manage Devin's numbers as a sophomore.

The media thinks we're getting better, but they don't really care about us because it's not interesting to slowly build a program on 4-year players until they start winning 20+ games. Which, with [Redacted] at the helm, is likely impossible.

Wellman stood up in the press conference and said the only reason for Dino's firing was the lack of post season success and then goes out and hires a man with an even worse post-season record.

I completely disagree with you. Green added like 25 pounds of muscle over the off-season and he would have helped out a ton down low this year. He would likely be averaging right around what Thomas is (6 points, 5 rebounds).

Just like how Carson added 25 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophomore year? I'll believe it when I see it in actual games. Otherwise, this is like getting really excited about an upcoming baseball season because of reports that guys have reported to Spring Training with "renewed focus and a trimmed down body." Happens every year and rarely are the reports even close to accurate.

The firing and hiring were less than a week apart, I don't understand how any reasonable intellect can seperate the two events as if they're unconnected. It would take at least a week to get a job at McDonalds, but we're not supposed to believe that [Redacted] wasn't one of the first people contacted when Ron canned Dino? Yeah right. Ron Wellman is a one man firing and hiring party. DCDeac once again with the hard illogical stance.

It would have been nice to have Chennault during the last several minutes of the Seton Hall game to provide another experienced guard who could handle the ball.

Tony C. is getting 20 minutes a game for a top 100 kenpom team. If we are so talented, then why do we stink so bad?

we didn't even have a freakin picture of daniel green until he got to campus

Wellman stood up in the press conference and said the only reason for Dino's firing was the lack of post season success and then goes out and hires a man with an even worse post-season record.

Woah- you found an example of a public figure misleading the media?! Nice detective work!

The fact that some people seem to expect ADs to air their program's dirty laundry continues to amaze me.

It would have been nice to have Chennault during the last several minutes of the Seton Hall game to provide another experienced guard who could handle the ball.

Tony C. is getting 20 minutes a game for a top 100 kenpom team. If we are so talented, then why do we stink so bad?

Chennault has been horrifically bad this year, fwiw.

Eh, he's playing 18.6 mpg for the 99th ranked kenpom team, and unsurprisingly playing terribly in those minutes.

Woah- you found an example of a public figure misleading the media?! Nice detective work!

The fact that some people seem to expect ADs to air their program's dirty laundry continues to amaze me.

Chennault has been horrifically bad this year, fwiw.

Nobody is talking about airing dirty laundry, but he certainly could've approached things a different way. To specifically give that as the reason for firing Dino and then hiring the man he did was embarrassing. It amazes me that you don't see the problem of an AD explaining a firing for a specific reason and then turning around and hiring a man that is even more deficient in the area he fired the other guy for.

Nobody is talking about airing dirty laundry, but he certainly could've approached things a different way. To specifically give that as the reason for firing Dino and then hiring the man he did was embarrassing. It amazes me that you don't see the problem of an AD explaining a firing for a specific reason and then turning around and hiring a man that is even more deficient in the area he fired the other guy for.

Such small potatoes compared to the actual problems we're facing.

Dino should not have been fired, IF the best replacement was [Redacted]. Ron Wellman got up and gave the reasons for firing Dino and then was exposed as a liar the second he hired [Redacted], because if the reasons for firing Dino were really the ones Wellman gave publically, there is no way you hire [Redacted] to replace him. The question of whether Dino needed to be fired was impossible to answer until we knew who the replacement would be. Since [Redacted] was that replacement, then no Dino didn't need to be fired. If the replacement had been a real coach, with a legitimate record of success, then yes Wellman should've pulled the trigger on Dino. That's not even 20/20 hindsight either. If we had hired a coach that looked to be a legitimate upgrade and we still stunk, I wouldn't look back and say we shouldn't have fired Dino. I would chalk it up to sometimes things don't work out. I think with the [Redacted] hire, 90 percent of us didn't think it would go well.

Some say this is childish... Maybe the truth is considered "childish" in the new Wake "culture".

It's the [Redacted] Factor at work. Just one year's exposure to Jeff [Redacted] permanently impairs a young player's basketball skills and talent.

Tabb didnt do so bad the other night for Kent St. posting a double double. Maybe it just takes a year to wear off.

Press conference quotes are generally meaningless. In general, there is very little that Wellman could say that would anger me. Actions > words.

Tabb didnt do so bad the other night for Kent St. posting a double double. Maybe it just takes a year to wear off.

I don't know...JT and Ari have been awful this year as well.

Back