• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Twitter Thread aka Coach Scheier wins the Internet

Bomani Jones makes fun of the Dino hire all the time... talking about how they hired a guy to keep 1 recruiting class. Not really fair, but he has said it a few times.

That's fair. Wellman forgot what the interim tag is for. Huge lost opportunity.

The only other option was interim tag, and it was not without it's faults as well.

Far fewer faults than hiring a guy who wasn't an ACC level coach.

Also, it was unlucky that Battle had such terrible circumstances around his family at the time too. And every decision seems easier in hindsight. Now that contract extension AFTER Cleveland State on the other hand...

Also, it was unlucky that Battle had such terrible circumstances around his family at the time too. And every decision seems easier in hindsight. Now that contract extension AFTER Cleveland State on the other hand...

I was saying do a legit coaching search or interim the day Skip passed and got blasted for it.

And Battle was no more qualified for an ACC job than Dino. Neither should have been the head guy for more than to finish out the season. Keep the staff on an interim basis and pay them through the following December and hire a new coach as soon as the season was over.

I don't see how you do a full coaching search at that time. I know you were for the interim tag, and so were some others... but you can't say that was clearly the right decision in the context of the situation. It basically puts your entire program on pause... which we know now would have been fine. Heck, Dino might have earned a contract after that 1st season because no one expected JJ and JT to be forces from day 1 and he still gets credit for that.

Eh, I dunno. All things considered, Dino and the staff did a pretty good job in 07-08. I've said all along that I don't think any of us outsiders can really imagine just how difficult that season was. As much of a PR disaster as firing Dino at 61-31 has been, I think a bigger one would have been telling Dino and staff, "hey, thanks for holding our kids together after your boss and best friend dropped dead, now hit the road."

As FYC said, the real crime was the extension after Cleveland State. You get a top drawer hire in for 10-11 and the recruiting disaster that was the Class of 2011 never happens.

deacfan, you're always welcome to discuss what I've got wrong. That would be more grown-up than a silly cheap shot like that. Any time you want to take issue with one of my posts, please go on the record and do so.

The interim tag puts the program on pause. That's a positive, especially for a program heading slowly downhill. Just promoting an unqualified assistant for an undetermined amount of time potentially keeps the program in the wrong direction.

This is a morbid scenario, so I apologize in advance. What if Grobe passes away this spring or summer? Would you just automatically support naming Mitchell or Lobo as head coach and give him a 3-5 year contract?

Last edited:
deacfan, ou're always welcome to discuss what I've got wrong. That would be more grown-up than a silly cheap shot like that. Any time you want to take issue with one of my posts, please go on the record and do so.

The interim tag puts the program on pause. That's a positive, especially for a program heading slowly downhill. Just promoting an unqualified assistant for an undetermined amount of time potentially keeps the program in the wrong direction.

This is a morbid scenario, so I apologize in advance. What if Grobe passes away this spring or summer? Would you just automatically support naming Mitchell or Lobo as head coach and give him a 3-5 year contract?

Of course not. Wake Forest is also not a top 25 team in football right now either, much less coming off of one of the best players in the world coming to our University to play football.

This is as much of a red herring as comparing our basketball recruiting to football recruiting.

I might support naming Coach Galloway head coach though.

Is putting the program on pause really healthy, though? And was the program heading in the wrong direction at the time? We had had two bad years but had a ridiculous recruiting class lined up, improved in 07-08, and were #1 the next year.

To me, the interim tag screams "lame duck." Seems like you don't want an interim for the same reason you don't want a coach in the last year of his contract.

Deacsfan27;1028665[B said:
]Of course not. Wake Forest is also not a top 25 team in football right now either, much less coming off of one of the best players in the world coming to our University to play football.
[/B]
This is as much of a red herring as comparing our basketball recruiting to football recruiting.

I might support naming Coach Galloway head coach though.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Skip passed away after the worst season of Wake basketball since Odom's 1st season. We weren't a Top 25 team at the end of that year. Chris Paul had finished his 2nd year in the NBA and wasn't walking through that door.

Is putting the program on pause really healthy, though? And was the program heading in the wrong direction at the time? We had had two bad years but had a ridiculous recruiting class lined up, improved in 07-08, and were #1 the next year.

To me, the interim tag screams "lame duck." Seems like you don't want an interim for the same reason you don't want a coach in the last year of his contract.

The program was clearly headed in the wrong direction. And the recruiting class and subsequent results even in hindsight were more reason to get a legit ACC level head coach in here.

No offense to Va and deacfan, but this LOWF mentality is exactly why we need to break up Wake athletics and bring in some new blood to help change the LOWF culture around our fanbase.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Skip passed away after the worst season of Wake basketball since Odom's 1st season. We weren't a Top 25 team at the end of that year. Chris Paul had finished his 2nd year in the NBA and wasn't walking through that door.

Despite a porous 15-16 (3-13) year we were still pretty highly thought of in the college basketball world. I'd say most people still held us in the top 25 of programs over the past 5-10-15 years.

My original assertion was incorrect in the way I stated it, meant to be more of a recent historical look at our team.

What's really stupid is that instead of firing Dino after the 08 tournament, when they had good reason (Cleveland State, Band Girl) they gave him a fucking extension, and then fired him for no reason 1 year later, when the program was at a much more tenuous point.

I stand by my theory that we should have kept Dino one more year then fired him after the 2010 season when we were under .500.

Not sure how my viewpoint equates to LOWF other than the fact that ph disagrees with it, but whatevs.

Also not sure how going from 3-13 to #1 in less than two years is going in the wrong direction. Either the program was already heading up when Skip died, or Dino worked some serious magic.

To be clear, I don't see how the inability to make a big-time basketball hire in August is uniquely a Wake Forest problem. I question any program's ability to do so. If that's the origin of the LOWF thought, you're misreading me. Are there any examples of big August basketball hires that I'm missing?

I stand by my theory that we should have kept Dino one more year then fired him after the 2010 season when we were under .500.

I wonder if [Redacted] just took the job as a favor to Wellman because Wellman thought he had a top coach lined up, and that coach bailed on him. That would explain why Wellman is so supportive of him.

Did anybody seriously think that team would be under .500 until Bz was hired? You all were hyping up that class like crazy. Now you're going to tell me they were going to go under .500 and we should have waited for it to fire Dino? Makes no sense, especially the idea that you wait to fire a coach because you think he's going to have a bad season.

Back