• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

Interesting that this one dates back to 2014 - was wondering when we would start hearing about some of the older attempts. The fact that at the start of this whole thing he didn't just go to former co-workers with the information means this could have some serious prongs.

FIFY

Maybe this is overthinking, but I think the VT statement was done very carefully and purposefully to up the heat on Louisville. VT shows how to handle things with class which makes the Louisville statement even more slimey.

The lack of awareness of how competitive we actually were in both the Louisville and FSU games is irresponsible journalism. It's total LOWF syndrome with the outside world.

Louisville tried to cheat. It’s right there in Jurich’s own statement! Are we supposed to give Louisville a pass because Jurich says Wake Forest didn’t use the plays? I mean, if you try to run over a guy with your car and you knock over a tree instead, are we supposed to applaud you for your logging skills?

:bowrofl::golfclap::rofl:

Frank Beamer Head Coach
Scot Loeffler Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Shane Beamer Associate Head Coach/Running Backs
Stacy Searels Offensive Line
Bryan Stinespring Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator
Aaron Moorehead Wide Receivers
Bud Foster Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers
Torrian Gray Defensive Backs/Passing Game Coordinator
Charley Wiles Defensive Line/Running Game Coordinator
Cornell Brown Outside Linebackers/Assistant Defensive Line

This was from yesterday's Roanoake Times:

2. Bud Foster hadn't heard about the Wakeyleaks findings.
Foster didn't realize Wake Forest had concluded that its color broadcaster Tommy Elrod sold out his own school by offering game plan information to opponents from 2014-16. Louisville admitted it received some information before this season's game.
A Tech spokesman said he had not received any correspondence from Wake Forest on the matter. An open records request is pending. Tech played Wake Forest in 2014, the infamous 6-3 double overtime loss. (Truthfully, it would surprise me if anything came from that.)
Foster was surprised to hear a radio announcer was the culprit.
"Yeah, that’s not good," he said. "That’s not good."
The long-time defensive coordinator said he's never been concerned that opposing teams might get reports of the Hokies' game plan, although he's more worried about the security on the team's game film, which can be uploaded by coaches and accessed by players.
"I’m not smart enough to understand how all works, other than when you have it here, you can put it on things, upload it," Foster said. "But I know this: I always was concerned, could people hack into your video? Because then they can watch your practices and see your game plan in action by how you practice. ... Obviously you’ve got to be able to break the code and all that stuff, but there are people who are smart enough to do that. And it wouldn’t surprise me that somebody figures that out sooner or later, when it’s all said and done. That will get caught. That’s how it works. They. Will. Get. Caught."
So, Bud's more concerned with Russia knowing Tech's game plan than an opponent?
"Yeah, they probably do," he said with a laugh. "I don’t know if Arkansas does, but Russia might. You’re exactly right."

Loeffler is currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Boston College.

I mean he went to school here, made his home here, was a part of the Wake Forest family.

Were Clawson and Wellman naive? Apparently so given the outcome, but they treated Elrod with respect and did everything they could to keep him as a member of the Wake family. Elrod took that trust and threw it back in their faces for short

Exactly. Coach Clawson wouldn't have known him. So he had to take the recommendations from many I would imagine, like Wellman, Grobe and numerous others who had known Elrod. Knowing he was a football coach who could easily digest this info with no problem. I will say this--it will thoroughly change forever the vetting landscape at every university program, treating it more like the pros and every other business situation from now on. No where else would you be able to be not retained from a company, then be given total access to all proprietary information and meetings, no matter how long you had been there and no matter who vouched for you. When RJR downsized, they came in with sheriff deputies, people had boxes, got their personal contents and got out, never to return. They weren't given the chance to have a bitter exchange of info with competitor Phillip Morris, et al. Just saying this has changed how athletics will do business.

Damn, I thought there was some picture of the list of schools who had denied being contacted.

VT press release is slick, but Louisville outed the recipient of the info. VT should do the same. We know who it is too.

I mean he went to school here, made his home here, was a part of the Wake Forest family.

Were Clawson and Wellman naive? Apparently so given the outcome, but they treated Elrod with respect and did everything they could to keep him as a member of the Wake family. Elrod took that trust and threw it back in their faces for short

Exactly. Coach Clawson wouldn't have known him. So he had to take the recommendations from many I would imagine, like Wellman, Grobe and numerous others who had known Elrod. Knowing he was a football coach who could easily digest this info with no problem. I will say this--it will thoroughly change forever the vetting landscape at every university program, treating it more like the pros and every other business situation from now on. No where else would you be able to be not retained from a company, then be given total access to all proprietary information and meetings, no matter how long you had been there and no matter who vouched for you. When RJR downsized, they came in with sheriff deputies, people had boxes, got their personal contents and got out, never to return. They weren't given the chance to have a bitter exchange of info with competitor Phillip Morris, et al. Just saying this has changed how athletics will do business.

How many times do we have to tell you Elrod wasn't fired. He was moved to two other jobs at more pay. What is so hard to understand about that?

Back