• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

Sorry if this is already been asked and answered, but has anyone reconciled why this article from Dan Collins here says that Clawson informed Wellman of the breach the day before we played Lousiville, but Clawson told Mike and Mike that they didn't realize the significance of the info until an hour before the game?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the Equipment Manager who found it the day before didn't take it to Rug/Clawson until an hour before the game. That was my understanding of it.

I'm pretty sure the Equipment Manager who found it the day before didn't take it to Rug/Clawson until an hour before the game. That was my understanding of it.

This makes it doubly problematic. You know there has been a leak but you don't have time to react to it with any counter-measures.

This makes us sound so damn small time. Is this just my misinterpretation? Help us, doofus. You're our only hope.

From Clawson's interviews it seems the equipment manager didn't understand the gravity of what he had found. He thought it was no big deal, like it was usual opposition research. Clawson and staff immediately recognized it when they finally saw it as gameplan specific info.

From Clawson's interviews it seems the equipment manager didn't understand the gravity of what he had found. He thought it was no big deal, like it was usual opposition research. Clawson and staff immediately recognized it when they finally saw it as gameplan specific info.

This was my take as well.

Here is what the original Dan Collins article said:

"Wellman, Wake Forest’s director of athletics, said Clawson told him of the breach on Friday, the day before the Deacons lost to the fifth-ranked Cardinals, 44-12. Wellman said a member of Wake Forest’s traveling party found the documents at the stadium."

So if both accounts are correct then Clawson thought it was a big enough deal to tell Wellman on Friday, but they didn't realize the significance of the info until Saturday when Ruggiero looked at it.

Probably be five years and 1 million bucks spent before we hear from army..it's the government way

Our AD tells us they have pilfered through Elrod's emails and texts. Given that, seems inconceivable they do not have the motivation. As Clawson says, the players, families, and alums who invested in these 3 seasons deserve to know what happened. Given Clawson's statement that he questioned hiring a guy who was not retained, it seems Clawson let the cat out of the bag that revenge/hatred was his motivation. Still we are left making assumptions and guesses which we must do giving continued hiding of the ball by our AD.

Our AD tells us they have pilfered through Elrod's emails and texts. Given that, seems inconceivable they do not have the motivation. As Clawson says, the players, families, and alums who invested in these 3 seasons deserve to know what happened. Given Clawson's statement that he questioned hiring a guy who was not retained, it seems Clawson let the cat out of the bag that revenge/hatred was his motivation. Still we are left making assumptions and guesses which we must do giving continued hiding of the ball by our AD.

Pilfered?

It's hard to dispute that Clawson raised the exact concern about hiring Elrod. It is inconceivable to me that someone like Elrod would have done this, so I can't lay this at the feet of the AD, but Clawson himself was concerned about. And rightly so, as it turns out.

I assume they are holding everything close to the vest in case there is a lawsuit at some point. Either that, or they don't want to keep rehashing everything publicly.

Back