• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake going to Boone in the Future?

I was there when we played App(in the 90's) and they tied us in the last game of the season which prevented us from going to a bowl game. Sure. Bring 'em on!

Playing App is a no win situation for Wake. They treat it like the Super Bowl, biggest game of the year on their schedule. And the are (were) a really good FCS program. But it's always a game that no one pays attention to when Wake wins, because Wake is supposed to win. But it becomes a big deal when App wins, because they are not supposed to.

This is all true. But an ACC team should beat App. And it makes for a very interesting game given the legions of fans App brings to WS. A 2 for 1 would be very interesting. Can't really see Wake agreeing to play them in Boone.

You're feeding the myth. Wake is 14-7-1 all time versus App. The only time we lost by more than a TD was 3-17 in 1991. Most of the games were good, relatively close contests and the crowds were great. The losses stand out more because they were bad losses. Most notably for me personally a 27-30 loss, in overtime, on my wedding day back in 1998. Ugh.

If the idea is to sell more tickets, App makes sense. If the idea is to win more football games, there are much better choices than App.

Still, never was good to get beat by 1AA...just ask dear old Michigan. Or last year just ask dear old Florida

This is all true. But an ACC team should beat App. And it makes for a very interesting game given the legions of fans App brings to WS. A 2 for 1 would be very interesting. Can't really see Wake agreeing to play them in Boone.

Of course Wake should beat App. But App is usually good enough that it is not a given that Wake will beat them. Better to play a team that you are just about guaranteed to beat. Like WCU or A&T.

Of course Wake should beat App. But App is usually good enough that it is not a given that Wake will beat them. Better to play a team that you are just about guaranteed to beat. Like WCU or A&T.

Yes, from a strict Ws and Ls standpoint. But no one cares about those teams. BB&T might be half full. App St is a much more interesting opponent from a fan standpoint, and still one Wake should beat. But yes, a tougher W.

A home schedule that leads with Elon and App is not particularly appealing.

So is Elon and Army better?

Yes. I'd rather see Army / Navy / Air Force than App. I'd rather see App than Elon, Campbell, Presbyterian, Liberty, Gardner Webb etc etc. But maybe we need those cupcake wins on the schedule to stay competitive with all of the other D-1 schools who love cupcakes. I admit App wouldn't be a cupcake win... It's a toss up between Utah State and App..... neither are cupcake wins, Utah State is better... but App would be more fun from a NC football fan perspective

One of my earliest sports memories is going to a Wake football game (92?) against App. My mom was a teacher who went there and we got free/cheap tickets or something like that. Ended up having so much fun that my family purchased season tickets for the next 12-13 years. I then purchased my own tickets with my first "Adult" paycheck and kept them until I moved away.

Point being that area rivalries are important, especially when it comes to attracting local eyeballs, something Wake desperately needs to do as its alumni base becomes less and less regional. Now that App is 1-A it makes all the sense in the world to play them on a semi-regular basis. In an ideal world I'd swap in ECU, UNCC and App for the games we play against the military academies.

An ideal schedule would be 9 ACC games, one of App/ECU/UNCC, a FCS team and then an OOC game against a P5 opponent. It would make our schedule competitive, yet not too tough, and also help to boost attendance.

Last edited:
I wish we stopped playing service academies. The reasons why are all compliments to them -- their playing styles are unique and a pain in the ass to prep for, and you know their players are gonna leave it all out there. There are lesser teams we can schedule that would be much easier games

UNC-Charlotte is a glorified community college . Geez.

Just so people aren't too suicidal come September, Utah state is going to whoop our ass.

Back