• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wake golf

[/B]

Have we kept the same players at Wake for the whole decade? Really don't know how you can make that statement (excuse) when there are new players that cycle through the program on a regular basis.

True. It has a whole lot more to do with poor play than the venue. Being totally outclassed, not just no titles. Even if you say you don't care about ACCT championships, playing well there is a mark of a good team. I think that will happen this year, even at dreaded ONS.

At 14 I think he's too young and a big risk to take already. He's not the kind of young, can't miss prospect like a Cole Hammer who is headed to Texas. His CGA junior rank is not very good and I think I'd want to see more out of him in high school before taking a commitment from him. Just my .02 worth.

I think WFU took a commit from another kid his age (maybe a year older) for the Buddy Worsham. I agree that's looking way ahead on a golfer. I hope WFU will show some love to it's own and get him to reconsider after a year or two if he develops into a WFU level golfer.

True. It has a whole lot more to do with poor play than the venue. Being totally outclassed, not just no titles. Even if you say you don't care about ACCT championships, playing well there is a mark of a good team. I think that will happen this year, even at dreaded ONS.

I would agree, though I seem to recall us bombing at the ACCT the same year as several of our stronger NCAA finishes. But, I don't see why different players on different Wake teams would share the same troubles on that course while other ACC teams play well there.

Golf signs in the same period as all other non-football sports.

As for ONSC, the course is not hard. Historically under Jerry, we have had teams that were better on harder tracks and maybe lacked the ability to go really low collectively. This current squad does not have that problem as evidenced by their rounds in Portland, blowing out the field at Primland last year and other events.

We are up to #3 in the golfwee rankings.

Great finish today to end up in 3rd after Rd 1 the US Collegiate Championship, 2 back of the leader against a great field. Team finished 5 under on it's last 4 holes to get to -4 overall.
Props to frosh Cameron Young who's T2 at -4.

If we win this week it's very likely we end up ranked #1.

Anyone know who is most likely to break into the rotation going forward? The freshman from Pa. played really well as an individual at Primland but Haas seems pretty set on this lineup.

Anyone know who is most likely to break into the rotation going forward? The freshman from Pa. played really well as an individual at Primland but Haas seems pretty set on this lineup.

Probably Sterbinski. This team is really good. McBride getting comfortable as a sophomore has been a huge benefit.

As far as potential, Clancy Waugh should be challenging for a spot.

Are we not tied for the lead with one hole to play with the #1 team in the country?

Finish tied for first. Cameron Young ties for first individually. No playoff. The scoring was messed up all day apparently so I'm not entirely sure the hole by hole scores are correct. Not sure we had that poor finish.

Looked like Auburn went -3 over last few holes and we were +3 in same stretch. Tough finish but what a weekend for the team.

Looked like Auburn went -3 over last few holes and we were +3 in same stretch. Tough finish but what a weekend for the team.

To repeat, I'm not sure that is completely accurate. Apparently the live scoring was messed up during the day.

Waugh is redshirting btw

Jerry Haas is calling it a team title so I'll take it. What an incredible start to win 3 or 4.

Question for Tin Cup. How does Coach Haas decide who plays in the tournaments? If I am not mistaken, there are some qualifying rounds during the week (or weeks) leading up to the tourney? Is there any consideration given to past tourney performance? For instance, Cameron Young has the low tourney for Wake this week and finishes tied for first. If he turns around and has a bad qualifying round(s), would he not play in the next tourney? Or same goes for Zalatoris. He has been the most consistent tourney golfer over the last season and a half. Is there any chance that he would not "qualify" for a future tourney? It just seems a little weird to me that Sterbinsky played such good golf (at least based on score) at the Primland tourney and then didn't play in the either of the next 2 tourneys. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Back