• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake v. #6 Xavier -- 7:00 pm on a TUESDAY! TV--Fox Sports Carolinas

Good read.

"Defensively, Xavier really works to restrict the paint. If your goal is to score inside or get offensive boards, Xavier's goal is to make that really difficult for you. They run a man and a 1-3-1 zone, the second of which is more effective in forcing turnovers. No matter what defense Xavier is in, their philosophy is going to lead to a lot of three-point attempts for other teams. How those break is generally a pretty big factor in the outcome of any given Xavier game."

Good read.

"Defensively, Xavier really works to restrict the paint. If your goal is to score inside or get offensive boards, Xavier's goal is to make that really difficult for you. They run a man and a 1-3-1 zone, the second of which is more effective in forcing turnovers. No matter what defense Xavier is in, their philosophy is going to lead to a lot of three-point attempts for other teams. How those break is generally a pretty big factor in the outcome of any given Xavier game."

Hopefully Dinos, Wilbekin, Hudson, and/or Crawford can get hot tonight from behind the arc.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good Xavier is, while at the same time also underestimating how bad our defense is.

They negate our biggest strength in rebounding despite being smaller across the board. I doubt we can stay in front of their guards to prevent penetration for the dribble/drive/kick, which is extremely problematic since they have three shooters at 39% or better.

I think a lot of people are underestimating how good Xavier is, while at the same time also underestimating how bad our defense is.

They negate our biggest strength in rebounding despite being smaller across the board. I doubt we can stay in front of their guards to prevent penetration for the dribble/drive/kick, which is extremely problematic since they have three shooters at 39% or better.

I think you're overestimating how much we're underestimating.

I wonder how much of our bad defense is really a product of our high number of turnovers. The pack line isn't known for generating steals, though it looks like Xavier is using a 1-3-1 halfcourt trap to create more turnovers this year. Obviously Xavier is a substantially better team than Wake this year, but I actually feel good about our chances if we can keep them off the offensive glass, limit our turnovers, and Dinos shoots well. Obviously that's asking a lot, but that's what it's going to take to knock off a really good team.

Not sure it'll happen, but for the first time in years I think we could win this game even if a key player or two have bad games. Fun to have some depth, youth, and experience wrapped up together. No knock on Xavier - they may be the best team in the country - but it's still basketball. The better team can always lose in a one-off, particularly on the road early in the year. Plus Xavier hasn't been in many close games so who knows how they might respond to a hot start if we can come out fired up.

Not sure it'll happen, but for the first time in years I think we could win this game even if a key player or two have bad games. Fun to have some depth, youth, and experience wrapped up together. No knock on Xavier - they may be the best team in the country - but it's still basketball. The better team can always lose in a one-off, particularly on the road early in the year. Plus Xavier hasn't been in many close games so who knows how they might respond to a hot start if we can come out fired up.

Definitely need Devin to bounce back, but outside of relying on his 18-9, I am much more comfortable in looking to a handful of guys to pick it up instead of relying on just one other key player to score.

I feel like defensive rebounding will be key. Should be a good battle. If by some miracle we are able to make some stops and force some shots, we have to make it count by finishing on the boards and not giving them 2, 3 chances.

Their half court D is very good, that's why we need to see how good their transition D is...

I like us scoring with Crawford, CMM and Crab pushing it or Dinos and Wilbekin getting open looks on the secondary fast break

Agree strongly with extreme need for the Greek and Wilbekin to be dialed in from long range to loosen up the very good zone or man D. No doubt they need to play better defense.

Will be very interesting to see a lineup of Crawford CMM Hudson/ Wilbekin as the third guard/forward spot over McClinton with Thomas and Collins in the post for boards vs a very well regarded Xavier D.

Deacs with a surprisingly loud vacation crowd win 78 71. Crawford CMM combo ultimately carry the day. GO DEACS.

Does McClinton start again? Or do we finally give Crab the start?

Probably McClinton, is my guess.

Does McClinton start again? Or do we finally give Crab the start?

Probably McClinton, is my guess.

Probs McClinton. Really don't mind. He is usually strong to start and has been giving good minutes on the offensive end the past 2-3 games.

Any chance that Manning starts Codi tonight? He hasn't seemed very flexible on the starting lineup thus far, but figure this would be the time to get CMM back in the starting lineup if he plans on ever doing so.

Money coming in on the Deacs, line down to 6.

In regards to the crowd, I think it will be good. Bringing a couple extra and have actually gotten calls today for tickets which hasn't happened in a while.

Despite the lack of students, I think this will be the biggest pro-wake crowd a lot of these kids have ever played in front of. There's no tickets available on stub hub and the ticket office has sold all the lower level seats. Kudos to the athletic department for offering the cheap tickets. I think Codi and Devin know how big this game is and simply want it more than anyone on X. Deacs 83, X 76!

Back