• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Will Tonight in DC

Hatch and Wellman boo! Shit let shakas wife be president, take a big check and lose money what is hard about that? Someone at the dc event please tell Hatch his whole program sucks.

Wellman represents everything that is wrong with Wake today: administrative bloat, cronyism, LOWF mentality, an unwillingness or inability to adapt to the "big time."

Wellman represents everything that is wrong with Wake today: administrative bloat, cronyism, LOWF mentality, an unwillingness or inability to adapt to the "big time."

I agree with this.

TK Hearn would kick Hatch's ass. In his current condition.

I had never seen that article, but I'm not surprised based on bits and pieces of information I pick up here and there. Leading the way in administrative bloat AND asking for a billion dollars?

Wake leads in percentage increase of administrators. Who has the most administrators per student? Comparing percentage growth when you don't give me the actual figures per 100 students is stupid. Am I missing something or after reading this study could Wake still have the least # of administrative positions (per student) of any school in the nation? Of course that isn't true but the article isn't linked anymore and the summary sucks.

great question suggested above. Do we have a new basketball coach? If no, is the home run search still going well?

Wake leads in percentage increase of administrators. Who has the most administrators per student? Comparing percentage growth when you don't give me the actual figures per 100 students is stupid. Am I missing something or after reading this study could Wake still have the least # of administrative positions (per student) of any school in the nation? Of course that isn't true but the article isn't linked anymore and the summary sucks.

I was wondering the same thing; good question

DeWDWL4.gif

Will someone ask why he makes $1.4 million, and they are cutting faculty benefits. Also why administrative staff is up 300% in 5 years while the student body has grown 21%

Ask him why there are about 500 Deans at the school, and tell him I'm really pissed about paying $62k to send my son there.

Ask him why there are about 500 Deans at the school, and tell him I'm really pissed about paying $62k to send my son there.

It isn't worth it, and the school is going to be in big trouble when folks like me quit stroking tuition checks

I was wondering the same thing; good question

I think it's possible Wake could be among the most administrators per student. Wake is the smallest university in the country with PhD programs, a law school, business school, and med school. Add in that something around 90% of students live on campus. It requires a lot of administrators for not that many students.

Tell Hatch he isn't off the hook for this shit show. I would like for him to head back to south bend, and he can take Wellman with him. Ask hatch how wake can honestly ask people for money when he has been a terrible steward the past 4 years with the resources they have had.

Take Martha Allman with him

Chris68 says "there is nothing to see here."

Chris is under the table making sure Hatch has a big smile on his face while he convinces people to put money in a giant pot that will fractionally benefit students and pad the pockets of the bloated admin of brown nosing beggers.

Big crowd -- maybe 500+ -- at the Reagan building.

In two or three short videos, there were various sightings of TD, CP3, Chill, and maybe CD. Hoops -- and golf (Arnie and Webb), but not football (I didn't see the Orange Bowl, for example) -- was thus presented as part of the school's DNA or core brand. Among the futures envisioned for incoming / future students was "NBA All Star."

There was a positive reference to Clawson, among various profs and administrators, as a leader of students by Hatch.

A trustee noted that Wellman "right now" -- wait for it -- "is serving as chair of the NCAA tournament committee." No reference to the search at all, even indirect, by anyone. Not really a surprise.

Both US senators attended, as did much of the school's top academic brass (now called "the cabinet"), and they honored a number of DC area alums plus a couple of current students / fellows.

It was a scripted, polished, and in my view effective presentation from start to finish. There was no Q&A. Others may have had a chance to ask questions during the reception. Lots of informal Manning chatter among grads in the audience. Doubt anyone got #scoop though.

In two or three short videos, there were various sightings of TD, CP3, Chill, and maybe CD. Hoops -- and golf (Arnie and Webb), but not football (I didn't see the Orange Bowl, for example) -- was thus presented as part of the school's DNA or core brand. Among the futures envisioned for incoming / future students was "NBA All Star."

There was a positive reference to Clawson, among various profs and administrators, as a leader of students by Hatch.

A trustee noted that Wellman "right now" -- wait for it -- "is serving as chair of the NCAA tournament committee." No reference to the search at all, even indirect, by anyone. Not really a surprise.

Both US senators attended, as did much of the school's top academic brass (now called "the cabinet"), and they honored a number of DC area alums plus a couple of current students / fellows.

It was a scripted, polished, and in my view effective presentation from start to finish. There was no Q&A. Others may have had a chance to ask questions during the reception. Lots of informal Manning chatter among grads in the audience. Doubt anyone got #scoop though.

This whole scene makes me nauseous.
Thanks for the recap tho.

In other words the "shit show" continues

Good report. I'll add a little commentary.

I thought Jenny Puckett's presentation on a small part of Wake's history was very powerful. She focused on three pivitol Wake figures in the latter part of the 19th and first part of the 20th centuries -- J. A. Bostwick, James Taylor and Tom Jeffries. The former worked to endow Wake and donated a staggering $1.2M to Wake upon his death in 1892. The latter, born a slave, was a groundskeeper at Wake and designed/built the dry-stack rock wall around the old campus. Apparently he was given an honorary doctorate back then and was referred to as Dr. Tom.

Bobby Burchfield and Elliot Berke gave short presentations along with one or two others including Dr. Hatch.

There was an open bar cocktail party before the presentations and a full buffet afterwards. Everyone received a Wake Will pin. There were a few interactive stations including one where you were asked to vote for your favorite sports moment (I was torn between the 1995 ACC basketball title and the 2006 ACC football title but I had to go with 1995). Another had you write something memorable about Wake on a giant card and take a picture with the card.

I had no expectations that Hatch or anyone else would address the basketball situation directly but it was definitely a topic of conversation throughout the crowd. I talked about it with members of the administration, board of trustees, alumni council, etc. My stock intro to the subject -- to see what they'd say -- was something like, "we're all on the edge of our seats waiting to hear who our new basketball coach will be. We've all heard the recent rumors, but I guess we'll just have to wait until something is official." Two different folks in the above groups responded with, "so, what do you think about Danny Manning?" Pretty telling. Someone else in the above groups said something like, "I hope our fans give whoever gets the job a chance." I hate the implication that Wake fans want the program to fail so I was pretty strong in response.

Edited to add: one other said, after I brought up Manning, that the hire would be a "stand up double."

I thought the event was very impressive and I like the message that a billion dollar campaign sends. We can debate whether the money will be put to good use, but it felt like we were playing in the big leagues for once.

Last edited:
Back