• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington, DC Deacs

I checked out the Newseum online & that def looks like a place to see. Definitely going to Udvar Hazy since we're already staying out there. My kid thought the spy museum would be fun but I'm going to take your advice & take a pass on that. Have a Capital tour planned thru my local congressional office. I hear the Washington Monument is still closed for repair???

The Holocaust Museum is very heavy, but an absolute must-visit. The adults of the trip will appreciate it, and if you think your boys can handle it, it can be a sobering but very good learning opportunity; especially if they've heard of it before. It can be hard to grasp the magnitude of things at that age, but they give you a person card at the beginning of the museum and at the end you find out if you lived... kids understand at least that.

I checked out the Newseum online & that def looks like a place to see. Definitely going to Udvar Hazy since we're already staying out there. My kid thought the spy museum would be fun but I'm going to take your advice & take a pass on that. Have a Capital tour planned thru my local congressional office. I hear the Washington Monument is still closed for repair???

that's correct. gonna be closed for a while. be warned that it gets a bit dusty in the Pulitzer-winning photos exhibit. some of those shots are heavy.

Underrated Smithsonian is the US History Museum. Something for everyone in there. Pretty fun.

If your kids want to see the dinosaurs, you can knock that out in 30. Rest of it is pretty meh unless you want to see famous gems.

Pro tip: Lunch at American Indian Museum food court.

Underrated Smithsonian is the US History Museum. Something for everyone in there. Pretty fun.

If your kids want to see the dinosaurs, you can knock that out in 30. Rest of it is pretty meh unless you want to see famous gems.

dinos and gems are the best, but overall us history museum is better than natural history (there, i said it).

Defs the best eating on the Mall, though the museum itself sucks

The Metro is cleaner than most major mass transit systems and their stations are markedly better... If you're a tourist it's great because that's what it caters to. As far as price and/or accessibility... it sucks for most DC residents.

Portrait gallery is great. It's probably my favorite smithsonian museum though tied with American history. Obviously, if you have kids you need to hit the Air & Space museum. I enjoyed the spy museum when I went, but I'm a big history nerd. I used to give tours of the capitol when I was an intern.

Portrait gallery is great. It's probably my favorite smithsonian museum though tied with American history.

It's also open later, and you're close enough to some decent restaurants for dinner. Zaytinya FTW (unless it's inexplicably gone downhill since I left two years ago).

It hasn't. Still one of my favorites. It's actually in Washingtonian's top 10 this year.

Yet another vote for the Newseum. Holocaust museum is outstanding but you'll have to use your own best judgment on whether your 8 year olds are ready for that.

Another thing to watch out for (check on-line) is some sort of foot race - 10K, marathon etc. that has streets in downtown DC around the mall closed for a significant part of the day. Makes getting around difficult, and also cuts out a bunch of parking on whatever streets are closed.

Another thing to watch out for (check on-line) is some sort of foot race - 10K, marathon etc. that has streets in downtown DC around the mall closed for a significant part of the day. Makes getting around difficult, and also cuts out a bunch of parking on whatever streets are closed.

Meh, bigger concern is some sort of rally or march on the Mall that will invariably not be publicized yet yield 50,000+ people.

The lunch must be better than the breakfast because I had the breakfast there about a year ago and was disappointed. I have had some good meals in the Nat'l Gallery of Art, though.

I've only had their lunch and it's great...salmon, buffalo chili, tacos, etc. Way better than other cafeteria you'll have.

I've heard good things about the National Gallery of Art because they always have big chefs involved like Jose Andres.

The lunch must be better than the breakfast because I had the breakfast there about a year ago and was disappointed. I have had some good meals in the Nat'l Gallery of Art, though.

Hm, weird. Also never had breakfast there, but usually their stuff is pretty great. Without a doubt the best food you can get on the Mall.

Ready for some time away from work & with my family. Be there next week. Will def go to the NGA for lunch. I would have never thought to go there without your recommendations. Thanks again!!

As mentioned extensively above, it sounds like your best option (esp with 6 people to cart around and some mobility issues) is to drive in and park. And normally I would advise, as above, to avoid Metro on the weekends because of the extensive track work recently. However, they are suspending all weekend track work for the next four weekends due to the Cherry Blossom festivities, so if you do need to hop on the Metro while you're downtown (between Capitol Hill and the Smithsonian, up to the zoo, etc), it should actually be ok.

For dinner restaurants out where you are staying, there are some good restaurants at Reston Town Center (in Reston) including Uncle Julio's (Mexican); Il Fornaio (Italian) and Jacksons (American). Sweetwater Tavern is another good option (the Drunkin Rib Eye is amazing). In D.C., Ben's Chili Bowl has great Half Smokes with Chili and is a famous dive (although its a bit of a long cab ride from the Mall area.)

PassionFish first and foremost though

While in Herndon you can check out the Tortilla Factory for cheap Messican. Uncle Julio's is good too but a bit more expensive. If you want some good BBQ check out Willard's.

http://www.dcbbq.com/

Cheng's in Sterling is very good Chinese.

Back