• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

I'm more inclined to call you "Irishphlegm"... whatwith your appetite for PH''s hocked-up drivel...

BOOM! You still got it.

For the record though, I disagree w/ Ph a lot. Especially when he's equivocating about what coaches he supports (I support the ones that win, I don't support the ones that lose ...) and when he's penning revisionist history about the Prosser years. We just happen to agree about the horror show that is the [Redacted] operation. Oh, and the fact that Grobo is both hilarious and a cruel joke.

Pretty sure wake ad has long running policy against family HIRES which was the original reason odom got so pissy. He couldn't hire his son.

I think you all have beenlooking at this too myopically.

The underlying tension of div 1 college athletics today is the give and take of academics and athletic success. Do you need to cede some academic vigor for athletic success and is it justified. The Dino firing BZZ hiring was all about this. Our Texas recruits by and large have struggled to rep wake appropriately to a certain extent. I would be surprised if this move wasn't related to this. All our moves of the last several years have been all about this issue.

I don't think wellman has done a particularly good job and has marked too definiive of a position. I would guess his desire to leave a legacy now has motivated him to carve too deep a road. The curbs seem to be too high for the road cthe road is good but the curbs are two feet high. They need to be 4 inches high

I don't understand 95 percent of this post.

Haven't quite figured out your obsession with my teeth, but I can share that I received a glowing report from my dentist last week. :dancindeac:

Well, enjoy them while you got 'em motherfucker.

FWIW, Tim did not see this coming. He was quite shocked by his dismissal.

I don't understand 95 percent of this post.

* Wake doesn't allow nepotism within the Athletic department. Dave Odom wanted to hire his son as an assistant and he was not allowed to do it

* In the last year, there are about a half dozen long articles about the corruption of major college sports due to the huge amount of money involved. Athletic programs give schools a lot of status and are important when many high school students pick a college, but there is a blow back. Ron Wellman either on his own or as a directive from above has yanked Wake Forest back in line with say a Stanford or Duke. Every move since Dino was fired has been to ensure our athletic department is stock full of student athletes. We would rather be Northwestern than Ohio State.

* I surmised, in my post that every move since Dino was fired has been dictated by that. Josh Harris has had academic problems, Givens has financial issues at home and his step-brother was kicked off team. Just wondering if Grobe had a meeting with Billings in which he said something to the effect of you need to pay more attention to academics and family, etc... when out recruiting and Billings said horse baloney.

If I was Billings I would have taken issue too. Nikita and Tanner are great student athletes.

I love Grobe, but he has been a head coach for what? 15 years? If someone is challenging his authority/decision making, he is likely to take issue when 8 years ago he might have considered it healthy debate.

FWIW, Tim did not see this coming. He was quite shocked by his dismissal.

Stay classy, Ron Wellman. Did Billings at least find out from Wellman or Grobe before hearing it from others?

Who was calling for Billings to be fired?

I don't recall anything saying that specifically, but numerous posters called for staffing shake ups and criticized Grobe for being too loyal to his guys.

You want new blood in the program? You got it.

Stay classy, Ron Wellman. Did Billings at least find out from Wellman or Grobe before hearing it from others?

Ron Wellman has more class in his pinkie than you have in your entire being.

I do wonder if Billings was responsible for all of the embarrasingly pathetic delayed LB blitzes this year. Beyond that, I thought he did a pretty solid job with the talent he had. (Specifically, the strides that Wilber made in pass coverage this year.)

I don't recall anything saying that specifically, but numerous posters called for staffing shake ups and criticized Grobe for being too loyal to his guys.

You want new blood in the program? You got it.

You're equivocating, especially since the "too loyal" tag is almost uniformly applied to Lobo.

Baby, I was referencing the rumor I heard that Dino found out about being fired from Battle who found out from his son who found out from the internet.

I do wonder if Billings was responsible for all of the embarrasingly pathetic delayed LB blitzes this year. Beyond that, I thought he did a pretty solid job with the talent he had. (Specifically, the strides that Wilber made in pass coverage this year.)

I don't think the dismissal had anything to do with the product on the field. . .other than perhaps how having two DC's might could lead to confusion.

I don't think the dismissal had anything to do with the product on the field. . .other than perhaps how having two DC's might could lead to confusion.
Oh, I know that.

I was just commenting on really the only flaw I could think of in Billings' on the field work.

Back