• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman and Football (+ Lobo-Grobe Wedding News!)

You're equivocating, especially since the "too loyal" tag is almost uniformly applied to Lobo.

Baby, I was referencing the rumor I heard that Dino found out about being fired from Battle who found out from his son who found out from the internet.

Ph - you've got to be one of the leading critics of the football coaching staff. You've suggested repeatedly that Grobe and his staff should be on the hot seat if they can't raise the bar.

Are you not happy with the shake up? Isn't the entire idea of firing a guy for poor results on the field despite popularity exactly what you've been arguing for?

By any measure our defense has been at worst pathetic and at best inconsistent over the past 2 years.

You're equivocating, especially since the "too loyal" tag is almost uniformly applied to Lobo.

Baby, I was referencing the rumor I heard that Dino found out about being fired from Battle who found out from his son who found out from the internet.

Ok. Didnt know why you said that.

I never heard that rumor, but if it makes you feel any better, it isnt true. Dino was told directly by RW, and within 15-30 minutes the team was told as a group.

Ph - you've got to be one of the leading critics of the football coaching staff. You've suggested repeatedly that Grobe and his staff should be on the hot seat if they can't raise the bar.

Are you not happy with the shake up? Isn't the entire idea of firing a guy for poor results on the field despite popularity exactly what you've been arguing for?

By any measure our defense has been at worst pathetic and at best inconsistent over the past 2 years.

You're equivocating.

That's fine except Billings is the last guy who should be fired for poor results given the immediate improvement his units have had. In Billings' one year as co-DC, they've improved significantly.

Special team were particularly horrible this year, and Keith Henry was the special teams coach (also, don't think that Henry has been particularly successful on the recruiting trail). So, it appears that Henry was let-go for performance related problems.

Does not appear that Billings had the same issues; he has been a recruiting star. So, it appears to me that Billings and Henry were not let go for the same reasons.

Ok, for better or worse these two coaches are gone now.

I really don't know who is in line to replace them, so I'll ask the board. If you're Grobe/Wellman (Groboman?) what changes do you make to the current staff and who do you hire as replacements?

Personally, I think our three most pressing needs are new coaching with the defensive backs, special teams, and the offensive line. Not sure who would be good hires for those. Any ideas?

Special team were particularly horrible this year, and Keith Henry was the special team coached (also, don't think that Henry has been particularly successful on the recruiting trial). So, it appears that Henry was let-go for performance related problems.

Does not appear that Billings had the same issues; he has been a recruiting star. So, it appears to me that Billings and Henry were not let go for the same reasons.

Exactly. This is either the first or second year of specifically having a Special Teams coach and they were very bad.in every facet that didn't have to do with the individual talents of Wulfeck and Newman and those two were just bad to inconsistent.

We can't manage to get by with a poor offense and shaky defense without a strong special teams.

You're equivocating.

That's fine except Billings is the last guy who should be fired for poor results given the immediate improvement his units have had. In Billings' one year as co-DC, they've improved significantly.

I'm not equivocating, I'm just asking.

Billings coached defense last year as well. This year we gave up season highs in points to Syracuse and UNC, and if it weren't for two cupcakes for Vandy it would have been 3. By any measure we had a historically abysmal year on defense last year and upgraded to just bad this year.

Who should have been fired in your opinion then? Lobo whose QB and Offensive Line everyone was worried about just set the all time Wake Forest passing record for the past 2 years?

I really don't know who is in line to replace them, so I'll ask the board. If you're Grobe/Wellman (Groboman?) what changes do you make to the current staff and who do you hire as replacements?

Priority #1: Hire a proper OC. Move Lobo to simply coaching a position.

Ok, for better or worse these two coaches are gone now.

Personally, I think our three most pressing needs are new coaching with the defensive backs, special teams, and the offensive line. Not sure who would be good hires for those. Any ideas?

If I'm Grobe, I go to Wellman and say, "OK, we lost our TX recruiting connection and a guy I worked with for 16 years. Now I need something more from you. Give me the money in the budget to go out and hire a new OC and a new DC. I'll "promote" Lobo to Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach and move Knorr back to position coach. If necessary, I'll take a pay cut to make it happen."

If I'm Grobe, I go to Wellman and say, "OK, we lost our TX recruiting connection and a guy I worked with for 16 years. Now I need something more from you. Give me the money in the budget to go out and hire a new OC and a new DC. I'll "promote" Lobo to Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach and move Knorr back to position coach. If necessary, I'll take a pay cut to make it happen."

I hope this is exactly what has already happened.

I'm not equivocating, I'm just asking.

Billings coached defense last year as well. This year we gave up season highs in points to Syracuse and UNC, and if it weren't for two cupcakes for Vandy it would have been 3. By any measure we had a historically abysmal year on defense last year and upgraded to just bad this year.

Who should have been fired in your opinion then? Lobo whose QB and Offensive Line everyone was worried about just set the all time Wake Forest passing record for the past 2 years?

Lobo who has been a poor offensive coordinator for his entire tenure and who has not produced strong offensive lines since Caldwell's recruits despite having NFL talents.

Billings helped take over the worst defense in Wake Forest history and it was better. Not good. Better. Nobody thought defense would immediately be a strength after last year. At least, there was some improvement. And again, Billings has improved every unit he's coached. He's moved to the weakest units and they've become stronger. Not sure what to tell you. You're making a poor argument.

2010 Scoring Defense - #110, 35.8 pts/game
2011 Scoring Defense - #66, 27.4 pts/game

Last edited:
Ok, so is "Associate Head Coach" sort of like being a "VP" at Bank of America...i.e. promotion in name only? Or does it actually include some sort of extra responsibilities that we don't currently have anyone concentrating on?

And if we make him associate head coach, doesn't that strengthen the possibility of him becoming the head guy once Grobe retires?

This may be a little BOWF of me, but I hope we call Mike Stoops to be a defensive coach.

^^It's Ph spouting off about stuff he has no clue. There is no way you are going to pry Lobo away from the OC position. The more likely play would be to keep him as OC, move him over to FB/TE's coach and bring in an OL Coach like say, Robbi Caldwell, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Offensive Rankings

2004: 94th 20.9 ppg, 77th 351.3 ypg

2005: 60th 24.5 pgg, 68th 358.8 ypg

2006: 77th 21.6 ppg, 96th 307 ypg

2007: 58th 27.8 ppg, 93rd 340.5 ypg

2008: 95th 21.0 ppg, 101st 308.3 ypg

2009: 66th 26.3 ppg, 42nd 403.4 ypg

2010: 97th 21.7 ppg, 108th 302.6 ypg

2011: 68th 26.0 ppg, 79th 367.8 ypg

Average: Scoring Offense: 77th; Total Offense: 83rd

Defensive Rankings

2004: 42nd 23.0 ppg, 72nd 393.2 ypg