• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman ripped at end of article

Is it possible that Wellman is taking the "culture" idea to a new venue?

Meh, Wichita State proved nothing this year. To believe that they "deserved" a more favorable draw is bullshit.

The guidelines for seeding are bullshit. Tons of automatic bids are not in the best 68 teams. WSU played pretty much no one this year. And Kentucky lost 10 games this year. Who cares.

(Coming from someone who despises Wellman.)

where does wellman get 'ripped'

Here:

"Savvy committee chairs such as SEC commissioner Mike Slive and Mike Tranghese of the Big East could see through all this to what is important and what works; Ron Wellman, the guy who hired Jeff [Redacted], obviously could not."

where does wellman get 'ripped'

"Savvy committee chairs such as SEC commissioner Mike Slive and Mike Tranghese of the Big East could see through all this to what is important and what works; Ron Wellman, the guy who hired Jeff [Redacted], obviously could not."

He isn't ripped at the end, it is in Section 1 of the article.

Meh, Wichita State proved nothing this year. To believe that they "deserved" a more favorable draw is bullshit.

They were an undefeated 1 seed. They deserved better than a 3-6 seed schedule which is what playing UK (rightfully a 3-6 seed) in the round of 32 and Louisville (rightfully a 2-3 seed, maybe low 1) in the Sweet 16 is.

The committee clearly stuck it to Wichita St. with the seedings/matchups.

The upside is that Marshall is now available to pursue other career opportunities...and we have just that position available! :D

Have to say, this has been the most entertaining tourney I've seen in a long time. Tons of fantastic games. Just wish Wake was good enough to be in it.

I'm confused about what the writer is arguing. The committee apparently shat on WSU because they didn't play tough competition, but apparently UK, who lost 10 games, got under-seeded because they lost 10 games against good competition? UK lost to Arkansas twice, South Carolina, Baylor and UNC (seeded higher). I mean, yeah, UK is good, clearly...but how do you put a 10 loss team at the top of a bracket?

It sounds like he thought UK should have been on the 6 line and UMASS on the 8 line.

The upside is that Marshall is now available to pursue other career opportunities...and we have just that position available! :D

Downside being guess who's responsible for giving Wichita State this:

BPI ranking of #8 seeds:
Colorado - 56
Gonzaga - 27
Memphis - 43
Kentucky - 7

KenPom ranking of #8 seeds:
Colorado - 76
Gonzaga - 23
Memphis - 39
Kentucky - 11

(Note that these rankings are up to date through yesterday's game, thus Kentucky's rankings are inflated by virtue of their win over WSU. I don't have a KP subscription otherwise I'd pull up the pre-NCAA rankings. Either way, you get the point. )

They were an undefeated 1 seed. They deserved better than a 3-6 seed schedule which is what playing UK (rightfully a 3-6 seed) in the round of 32 and Louisville (rightfully a 2-3 seed, maybe low 1) in the Sweet 16 is.

I agree more with the overall argument of UL, Duke, and Wisky being the top 4 in that bracket than UK being under-seeded. UK lost 10 games and had some bad losses. I would say they could've been more like a 6-7 seed, but it was still going to suck for whoever got an early matchup with them as they can be the best team in the tournament. But agree with the so called "Murderer's Row" of the top part of the bracket, coupled with UK in the round of 32 being pretty shitty. Marshall can stick that Brinks truck up his ass I guess.

I'm confused about what the writer is arguing. The committee apparently shat on WSU because they didn't play tough competition, but apparently UK, who lost 10 games, got under-seeded because they lost 10 games against good competition? UK lost to Arkansas twice, South Carolina, Baylor and UNC (seeded higher). I mean, yeah, UK is good, clearly...but how do you put a 10 loss team at the top of a bracket?

Switch UK as a 8 seed with SLU as a 5 and I guess everyone is happy or something.

then Move Louisville from a 4 to Creighton's slot as a 2 or KU's slot as a 2 or Villanova's slot as a 2. Problem solved.

Oh wait. Gotta make Harvard a 10 seed and SF Austin a 10 seed. BYU swaps down to the 12 (and Harvard gets throttled by Oregon). SFA swaps with GWU at 9. Anybody happier now? Probably not. STFU DeCourcy Butthead.

When an 8 seed narrowly beats a 1 seed and nobody really considers it an upset, that's a sign of poor seeding.

If UK had been just about any other team with a lot of talent and sucked at the beginning of the year, nobody would give a shit. They'd be saying look out for Team X as an 8 seed. It's just because it's Kentucky.

Back