• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Says Bz will be back

I didn't say Dino was bad guy, but let's be fair. Whatever happened with JJ and Teague didn't really include serving them after their hearts were ripped out. Neither ever played for Skip Prosser. The CSU loss was two full seasons later.

I can recognize that Dino held the program together while at the same time be disappointed he wasn't better able to hold the program together a year, two years, three years later, but you are right from Day 1 to Day 300, he was great.

My Mom was THE best Mother of all time ... from Day 1 to about 1,500. From day 1,501 forward, she was a bit overbearing ... doesn't mean I don't love my Mom.

But I do appreciate you putting your heart on your sleeve there, and I'm not kidding.

I think your mom gave you more than enough time to be potty trained. If by 4 1/2 you aren't it's on you and she had the right to be overbearing.

Caldwell knows football. It's more important that he knows Tony Dungy. Probably not a leap to say there are some similarities between Caldwell and Dino.

And knowing Wellman helped [Redacted] get this job.

And I have said on numerous ocaissions that I would not have extended Dino's contract. My frustration is not meant to be directed at you, bone. Dino did some things well. He brought a new defensive toughness to his teams. At the same time I would agree he was in over his head in terms of being a head coach at the ACC level. I'm going to drop all this now and let Bzz be Bzz because those are the cards Mr. Wellman dealt us. I honestly hope it works out next year.

Really? You thought after the Cleveland State loss and JJ taking off directly from Atlanta or wherever that game was played, and Teague a month or two later that Dino was the right guy to get the program where we wanted? And that he was actually the captain of the ship? Because I didn't. The following year, for me, was more dreadful than these two years under Bzd because I knew we were going to just absolutely suck post-Ish after not taking advantage of having a unique elite talent in Aminu with a nice veteran team. I knew it was only going to get worse. The Gonzaga win on the road gave me momentary hope, but it didn't last long.

There were a few super talented Arizona teams that flamed out with four NBA players and maybe a few Kansas teams, but it is easy to forget that in Dino's second year, we had a team with two NBA first rounders, both starting in the NBA right now, and another lottery pick in Aminu, plus Ish Smith and even Chas, who would play McKie/CJ minutes for our team this year (Weaver would play 25+) and they lost to a good and well coached team by nearly 30 points.

Despite how much last year sucked and how joyless this year has been, I have had least been able to look at the future and be happy about its potential. After Cleveland State, I had none of that with Dino even though his last team was pretty talented.

You may enjoy reading tea leaves, but that doesn't make you good at it. Losing to Cleveland State is bad enough that it doesn't need a unique spin from every person who saw it. Same goes for JJ and Jeff leaving for the NBA. You've basically taken 1 bad loss and 2 early NBA entrants and condemned a coach for it. It's also very telling that you wrote off the 2010 class before they even got to campus. Most everyone was very excited about that class, and the post-Ish years, especially with CJ and Ari playing well in their freshman year. Dino's already fired, so why the need for revisionist history? The basketball program had a lot of momentum, and the combination of the Tony Woods push and the Dino firing stopped all our momentum. With the program at a standstill, we hired a no-name coach with zero excitement, the 2010 class landed with a thud, TC got hurt, Tabb got Mono, The Today Show happens, Tabb steals an Ipod, Ari gives up, and boom goes the dynamite.

Last edited:
Dirk--

Me too. I won't be holding my breath though. I doubt I will take any bets next year because I have no idea how this is going to play out. It does make for a potentially exciting year.

I do like seeing those movies where 1/3 of the way through I don't really know how it is going to play out. 28 Days Later is one of my favorite movies but once they got to that mansion like 1/3 or 1/2 of the way through I was shitting myself because I thought that was the end game. I didn't know where the movie was going to go from there.

Next season could be like that for me.

myDeaconmyhand--

You're right, I should leave it be. But I didn't write off any class, I wrote off the coach and the direction of the program. I thought I was starting to see where Dino was taking us and it was dark - for me at least. But again you are right, it is hypocritical of me to malign those asking over and over the specifics of why bzd was hired when I regurgitate this. I'll stop.

I'm happy we have Bzd next year. But happiness is going to have about a 300 day shelf life from today. My level of happiness 301 days from now is going to be totally dependent on how good we are next year, how the frosh develop, etc... The are a number of coaches that build the program that Wellman wants. If Bzd can't do it and win games with a solid and potentially deep roster next year, he needs to be replaced. Youth won't be a good excuse nex year with CJ, Travis, Carson, Tony, and Chase. It just won't.

Who's the guy who remembers every post on here? Whoever that guy is, OGB or DirktheDeac, I am sure they will hold me to that. I can't imagine countering myself on that though ...

Edited to add: I will point out that I got a queasy feeling with Dino from like day 2 when he misquoted Shakespeare and continued to do it for like a month. I was like, crap, that's not a good sign.

Last edited:
I hear you. Would you say Caldwell can coach? Or he just knows football? Because Indianapolis gave him the head coaching gig too. I think the answer is yes, he can coach, he just can't be the head coach.

Bzd can coach, but may not be able to run a successful program in the ACC. He's probably not an elite coach either which would help him compensate for being a run of the mil motivator (presumably). But whatever his short comings are - which will certainly play out over the next 12 months - it's just stupid to start from a place where you say he can't coach, he's a bad coach, etc... it's like starting a conversation on what kind of president Obama is by first pointing out he's a Muslim. It's just stupid and polarizes the discussion.

Eh? I look at what has gone on at Wake Forest, what little progress was made over 3 years at Colorado and the mess he left behind at Air Force to determine that he isn't a quality head coach.

Take your bizarre strawman comparison to Obama away, as that has nothing to do with why I think it has been proven that Jeff [Redacted] is not a good head coach.

And Caldwell can't be the head coach either. I don't care how good he looked as the QB coach with Peyton Fucking Manning under center, the fact remains that he isn't a #1, he just isn't. Same for Wade Phillips. Same for Jeff [Redacted].

That comparison is insulting to Jim Caldwell and Wade Phillips.

Wade Phillips came a lot closer to winning in the postseason than [Redacted] did. Would have had a win if the refs weren't blind that shit was a forward pass.

Slop:

Flippant works, though it doesn't have mass.

Bzd is a good basketball coach, he just might have taken a job a level above where he can find success. Don't know. But seems doubtful that Wellman hired a bad coach. Coach Caldwell is a fine football coach, but not very good at leading/running a program. A lot of that was personality, some of it situation, but that may be bzd's bio as well. But as fun as I guess it is to go flippant on posts, it lacks truthiness.

Well I'm nothing if not flippant.

jeff [Redacted] reached his level of incompetence years ago. i continue to be amazed that he parlayed his mediocre (at best) career stats in to better and better jobs. i guess that makes bzz an outlier with regards to the peter principle... or a federal employee.

I mean, another one of his problems is that he's not a very good basketball coach.

Slop:

Flippant works, though it doesn't have mass.

Bzd is a good basketball coach, he just might have taken a job a level above where he can find success. Don't know. But seems doubtful that Wellman hired a bad coach. Coach Caldwell is a fine football coach, but not very good at leading/running a program. A lot of that was personality, some of it situation, but that may be bzd's bio as well. But as fun as I guess it is to go flippant on posts, it lacks truthiness.

Sloth, I think your posts have plenty of "truthiness". But they need more salt... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back