• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman....

Wellman...

• Total voters
I predicted shortly after it became extremely clear that Bz was done that Wellman and Bz would go out together. That's looking more and more likely. I can't see how anybody can have confidence in Wellman after the last few days.

1.) That is the biggest problem with the Bz hire, it was highly questionable from day one.

2.) My only problem with Ron and Bz going out together is that it will take longer than it should. Long term harm is being done to the wake forest basketball program and the national brand of the university, unfortunately Ron is unaware or ok with it.

What is also unsaid is Grobe might have a thing or two to say about Wellman leaving.

I support Grobe and hope he stays. But if he stands in the way of fixing the bball program, then he can pack his bags as well. Enough is enough! The lunatics have been running the asylum for too long.

I support Grobe and hope he stays. But if he stands in the way of fixing the bball program, then he can pack his bags as well. Enough is enough! The lunatics have been running the asylum for too long.

I have no idea what Grobe's thought are on the subject of Bzz. But if you think about the support Wellman has shown Grobe through the years you would honestly have to say Jim supports Ron. That's all I'm saying.

84% I think can officially be called a vote of no confidence. Later Ron - thanks for Grobe, Skip for when we had him, and some kick ass renovations - don't let the door hit you on the way out...

What is also unsaid is Grobe might have a thing or two to say about Wellman leaving.

Said this about 12 hours ago. Grobe don't have say but it could hurt keeping him. Worst case scenario keep bzz or fire Ron and Bzz, hire new AD who makes another terrible hire and Grobe leaves?

Again, where is Grobe going to go? Harsh reality is he hasn't had a winning season for 3 years, he is 60 years old, and he is under contract through 2016. No one is looking to pay him 2 million/year plus whatever he will owe Wake. Worst case scenario is he retires a couple of years early.

Wellman has done a great job getting the right coach and culture instilled in almost all of our sports programs. We've had tons of athletic success over the past decade, in a large part because of the decisions Wellman has made.

However, Wake Forest is a basketball school. I would take winless seasons in most of our sports teams if it meant basketball was consistently a national championship contender. Since our basketball team is abysmal with no end in sight, I'm WellmanOut.

It's not just that Wellman has steered the basketball program straight into the titanic, it's that he appears to be totally oblivious that he hit it or unwilling to admit that he it...That has to make you question Wellman's ability to make the right decisions going forward as well as his leadership ability....

Again, where is Grobe going to go? Harsh reality is he hasn't had a winning season for 3 years, he is 60 years old, and he is under contract through 2016. No one is looking to pay him 2 million/year plus whatever he will owe Wake. Worst case scenario is he retires a couple of years early.

We have a lot of money committed to three coaches nobody else wants. That is the main reason not Wellman needs to go.

Although I agree with Grobe's contract.

Wellman has done a great job getting the right coach and culture instilled in almost all of our sports programs. We've had tons of athletic success over the past decade, in a large part because of the decisions Wellman has made.

However, Wake Forest is a basketball school. I would take winless seasons in most of our sports teams if it meant basketball was consistently a national championship contender. Since our basketball team is abysmal with no end in sight, I'm WellmanOut.

Agree completely with first paragraph; but not second. WF was known as a golf school at one point; now we are good or very good in almost every sport, except Men's B-ball. Facilities are better; Grobe is a great fit for us; soccer is very good; baseball has gotten a ton of great press. Overall, Wellman has done well over the last decade at WF. So, despite bad B-ball, I am Wellman in.

I am not totally Wellman-out because I honestly don't think he is trolling us with his arrogance, or stubbornness, or elitism, or whatever. He simply must recognize the mistake that he made with buzz, and there must be something significant preventing the action that is pretty much universally desired at this point. The guy is certainly far from being an idiot or being naive.

I don't expect Wellman to ever admit hiring Bz was a mistake. But unwilling to accept that personally and sticking with him when it's clear Bz is wrong for the job leads me to think Wellman needs to go. I love everything Ron did to improve facilities but I will never understand what he saw in hiring Bz.

I don't expect Wellman to ever admit hiring Bz was a mistake. But unwilling to accept that personally and sticking with him when it's clear Bz is wrong for the job leads me to think Wellman needs to go. I love everything Ron did to improve facilities but I will never understand what he saw in hiring Bz.

Maybe Wellman wants someone to overrule him and make him fire Buzz. That way he can wash his hands of whatever happens in the next couple of years. And then he can claim that if we had only stuck with Buzz like he wanted to... This would also mean that his job is no-longer at risk due to Buzz.

I can live with this. Somebody, anybody, PLEASE give Wellman the cover he wants.

Maybe Wellman wants someone to overrule him and make him fire Buzz. That way he can wash his hands of whatever happens in the next couple of years. And then he can claim that if we had only stuck with Buzz like he wanted to... This would also mean that his job is no-longer at risk due to Buzz.

I can live with this. Somebody, anybody, PLEASE give Wellman the cover he wants.

This also introduces another dynamic into the equation. If Hatch is ready to get rid of Wellman, he can just stand pat, leave this on the AD and then watch next year as Buzz drags Ronnie out the door.

This also introduces another dynamic into the equation. If Hatch is ready to get rid of Wellman, he can just stand pat, leave this on the AD and then watch next year as Buzz drags Ronnie out the door.

So awesome the games people can play as our university goes down the toilet

BTW, I don't know if there are still questions about the validity of the Wellman email (haven't been on the board in a while), but I have 100 percent confirmation that it is real.

This. He is very good at a lot of AD things. And he is responsible for Jim Grobe being at Wake Forest today, which is among the biggest success stories in the history of our athletics program. He is just totally screwing the pooch with respect to [Redacted]. The hire was questionable from Day 1, but as important, since the hire, every single time he has spoken publicly about [Redacted], it has come across as phony and clueless. Just a complete failure on his part. If you had told the Wake Forest fanbase 4-5 years ago that we would be having this conversation about Wellman, the consensus response would have been one of complete shock.

Don't forget he hired Jim Caldwell, Annie Bennett, Rick Rembilak [ firing George Greer after 3 ACC titles ], got rid or Dave Odom, and DID NOT hire Jen Averill or Dianne Dailey et al

Don't forget he hired Jim Caldwell, Annie Bennett, Rick Rembilak [ firing George Greer after 3 ACC titles ], got rid or Dave Odom, and DID NOT hire Jen Averill or Dianne Dailey et al

Don't forget Charlene Curtis and don't forget how long he gave Caldwell and Curtis either.

I think Wellman is going to go if Bz fails because Hatch and the BOT won't trust him to hire the next coach and if you can't trust the AD to do one of his two main jobs, he shouldn't be the AD anymore.

Can we at least now all admit we'd be WAY better off with Dino Gaudio still at the helm? Bz is TERRIBLE

Back