• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman's Shocking Neglect of Duty

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
While Ron Wellman swans around on TV playing the role of Big Shot NCAA Guy, the flagship athletic program of his employer -- one that has paid him millions of dollars -- is a national embarrassment.

Today Jeff [Redacted] is quoted in the local paper clearly implying he is coming back, despite his horrendous record and despite rampant speculation and expectation in online and sports media around the nation that he will be fired.

And Ron Wellman is "unavailable" to the local newspaper reporter even though he is TV constantly in his NCAA role.

This is shocking. This is irresponsible. Ron Wellman's primary duty is to his employer, Wake Forest University, and to the alumni, donors and fans of Wake Forest University. He needs to make a public statement NOW as to what his plans are. If he is going to fire [Redacted] (which by all that is right and logical he should) then he owes it to the man getting fired to tell him and get it over with now, out of simple decency. He should have told him last week and ended this ongoing disaster. Letting [Redacted] twist in the wind is unconscionable.

If he is going to retain [Redacted], then he should have the courage to come back to Winston-Salem and hold a press conference and explain openly why he is keeping this failed coach.

Either way, he needs to show some leadership and some loyalty to his employer. What is happening and how it is happening is as an outrageous display of arrogance or cluelessness.

While Ron Wellman swans around on TV playing the role of Big Shot NCAA Guy, the flagship athletic program of his employer -- one that has paid him millions of dollars -- is a national embarrassment.

Today Jeff [Redacted] is quoted in the local paper clearly implying he is coming back, despite his horrendous record and despite rampant speculation and expectation in online and sports media around the nation that he will be fired.

And Ron Wellman is "unavailable" to the local newspaper reporter even though he is TV constantly in his NCAA role.

This is shocking. This is irresponsible. Ron Wellman's primary duty is to his employer, Wake Forest University, and to the alumni, donors and fans of Wake Forest University. He needs to make a public statement NOW as to what his plans are. If he is going to fire [Redacted] (which by all that is right and logical he should) then he owes it to the man getting fired to tell him and get it over with now, out of simple decency. He should have told him last week and ended this ongoing disaster. Letting [Redacted] twist in the wind is unconscionable.

If he is going to retain [Redacted], then he should have the courage to come back to Winston-Salem and hold a press conference and explain openly why he is keeping this failed coach.

Either way, he needs to show some leadership and some loyalty to his employer. What is happening and how it is happening is as an outrageous display of arrogance or cluelessness.

As long as the $$$ he gets paid is green, doubt he gives a damn!

As long as the $$$ he gets paid is green, doubt he gives a damn!

maybe he doesn't give a damn, but any prospective new employee might just give a damn about working for him.

This whole situation is begging for a Ron Wellman twitter parody account. Some fun could really be had while he's courtside at Dayton tonight.

maybe he doesn't give a damn, but any prospective new employee might just give a damn about working for him.

Agree, that is why I have been hoping he would quit, retire or die for several years now!

Huh, this is an altogether new and interesting perspective that I had not read or considered on the board the past few days.

I look at it this way. If Wellman had canned Bzz, every contact he would have with a coach in the tourney could be looked at by the coachs school as an attempt to poach the coach. Now, he can cozy up to a prospective replacement without anybody complaining about it.

I look at it this way. If Wellman had canned Bzz, every contact he would have with a coach in the tourney could be looked at by the coachs school as an attempt to poach the coach. Now, he can cozy up to a prospective replacement without anybody complaining about it.

I don't look at it that way, but I know nothing about sports.

I'm sure in AD circles this chairmanship is a prestigious deal, but for us, now, it certainly has the feel that Wellman is dicking around in Dayton reading My Pet Goat while the basketball program is in limbo.

Shocking in only one sense of the word. Completely expected - we've figured this would be how it would go for months now.
Appalling is probably a better adjective.

I don't look at it that way, but I know nothing about sports.

It's why more business gets done on the golf course than in formal meetings. Watch what games he attends and see if one of the coaches is on our wish list.

Jeff Eisenberg ‏@JeffEisenberg
What is Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman gaining from his silence on Jeff [Redacted]'s fate? Seven days since season ended, three since he left Indy.

This board has thread diarrhea. How many threads do you people need to make expressing your hatred of Buzz or your latest conspiracy theory of Wellman (and Hatch)?

Well, it hasn't even been a week since our last game so I fail to see the big deal in the "delay." If it's going to happen, it'll happen soon enough.

This board has thread diarrhea. How many threads do you people need to make expressing your hatred of Buzz or your latest conspiracy theory of Wellman (and Hatch)?

what-do-you-mean-you-people.jpg

The worst part of the whole situation is that Wellman has literally zero accountability. There won't be any adverse consequences to his dereliction of duty. Sure - we will talk about it on a message board or rant about it in a blog, but other than that - there won't be any consequences. He's the Teflon AD. If you don't like it - too bad.

#wellmanout till he is gone.

Back