• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Series 1: #12 Duke | Fri: L (5-8) / Sat: W (6-3) / Sun: L (8-10) (ACCNX)

Walter didn't coach the bases, did he? I know he used to do that.

What about Johnson? I know Corona transfered, too.

Does it seem odd that we lost so many guys who could have come back? A team makes the CWS and they don't stay together? Just seems odd, to me. Did Walter tell them to leave?

What about Johnson? I know Corona transfered, too.

Does it seem odd that we lost so many guys who could have come back? A team makes the CWS and they don't stay together? Just seems odd, to me. Did Walter tell them to leave?
Drafted.

You do realize that 10 players off last year’s team were drafted, right?

Series was tough. But Duke has a good team (fuck Duke) and we didn’t play terribly well. And even with all of that we still had shot to win series and even sweep.

It’s clear early on that this team doesn’t have some of the magic of last years team. But it’s also clear they are super talented and can go just as far as last years team. I’m not worried about the season at this point. Deacs still have an amazing year ahead of them

But why oh why did Walter run off Lowder and Wilken when they had another year? Lol
You're funny but you didn't address the question:

Why did so many leave by transfer?

yeah. I don't think there was any way Corona was coming back. Not sure he had a position in the field and wouldn't come back to DH.

We miss Costello a lot (especially on the defensive side).
Costello in the outfield with Rhino at DH would be really nice. Cueto also may have gotten time behind the plate, but I feel like the hype around Gill was enough for him to think he wouldn’t see much playing time.

Corona wanted to play in the field He is playing at third base but only hitting .178 at Missouri.
Costello is hitting .224 at Miami. Not sure there was a reason given for him leaving.

Costello in the outfield with Rhino at DH would be really nice. Cueto also may have gotten time behind the plate, but I feel like the hype around Gill was enough for him to think he wouldn’t see much playing time.

Cueto is the one that hurts. I imagine he thought they were recruiting over him but not sure. He is hitting .351 at Stetson. He has 3 passed balls in 17 games and has thrown out 5 of 16 sb attempts.

Costello is from Miami...
Would you take Danny in the field and starting with experience over what we have now? His BA was getting better and as I recall,he had a HR in the CWS. While here, it seems his fielding was better than his batting

Corona? I don't know. Maybe. But there are a ton of factors that go into a kid transferring. Grades, position, post college aspirations.
In any case the loss of the guys that transferred is not going to be the reason we do or do not win this year.

Corona? I don't know. Maybe. But there are a ton of factors that go into a kid transferring. Grades, position, post college aspirations.
In any case the loss of the guys that transferred is not going to be the reason we do or do not win this year.

NIL, even small amounts, might make a big difference.

Series was tough. But Duke has a good team (fuck Duke) and we didn’t play terribly well. And even with all of that we still had shot to win series and even sweep.

It’s clear early on that this team doesn’t have some of the magic of last years team. But it’s also clear they are super talented and can go just as far as last years team. I’m not worried about the season at this point. Deacs still have an amazing year ahead of them
Is it really that clear though?

We only had 4 players who played in a game transfer out

Cecere - graduated with eligibility, would not be drafted and transferred close to home to get his masters paid for.
Corona - draft status based on being in the field and not a DH, probably didn't have that guarantee here, especially if he wanted to play short (I know he's playing 3rd @ Mizzou, but he was the backup to Marek @ SS at Wake). and no, his fielding was not better than his hitting.
Costello - Wish he were here, but wanted to be home for his last year -
Cueto - was recruited over (brought in two catcher transfers)

Back