• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Also, hopefully less severe than I was initially worried it was.

Not holding my breath though. I'm going into next season w/o bobi and Monsanto. Anything either contributes will be awesome.

Other than some supposed information from an insider, why do we think Monsanto will be back for a substantial portion of the season next year?

Overall, 91.2% (31/34) of workers returned at a mean 3.9 months after surgery, whereas 63% (12/19) of athletes were able to return to play at 8.8 months.

Patellar tendon ruptures
The overall rate of RTP following PT ruptures was 88.9%,
with 80.8% returning to the same level of sport. In pro-
fessional athletes, the rate of return to play was 76.9%.
The mean weighted time to return to play was 9.5 months.

Theoretically the top four teams that get the double bye this season could be the big four. All depends on which version of uva shows up.

Trying to be rational and objective:
I think Efton is a slight upgrade to Bradford.
Replacing DWill and Ty with Boopie, Sallis and hopefully a healthy Ituka.
If Bobi returns and Damari is 100% by January, I say.....
13-7 ACC 5th place, First Four Bid.

If any of those conditions above are not met, 10-10 ACC....NIT.
Thoughts/Predictions?
This seems pretty reasonable.

Next year's team just has so many question marks. More than any team of recent memory. We're losing the ACC POY, but adding a similar microwave PG scorer and two former 5-star recruits who have not (so far) lived up to expectations. We may be losing an eventual 1st round draft pick who didn't put up huge numbers, but who could be an all-conference player if he comes back. And we may or may not have the most dynamic 3-point bomber in college basketball.

It's also totally unclear what if any improvement we'll get from our returning players, many of whom have clear strengths but also material, well-documented weaknesses. To what extent those players address their weaknesses will dictate a wide range of outcomes.

It's actually insane now I think about it. I could see us more or less repeating last year with a similar NIT-ish season, but could also a ceiling much much higher if certain things break right.

My last thought is if Bobi comes back and we get a reasonable facsimile of last year's Monsanto for the second half of next season, I would hope for a "safe" NCAA bid and not "just" a First Four bid. But, of course, beggars can't be choosers and I'll take any NCAA appearance at this point.

Think it's possible that Damari's season next year follows a similar course to last year. He didn't start for the first month or two, then got hot in January. Lucas was starting and getting a lot of the minutes Damari eventually got. Could be the same thing this year, where Damari isn't back at full speed until conference season. Forbes might be giving the freshmen more minutes in November and December to see what they got as Damari is working his way back.

I think the forecast of the acc next year also plays into this discussion. So many teams lost talent, have new coaches, or just aren’t very good. Yes, I want every factor to go in Wake’s favor. But I do not think it is absolutely necessary to be competitive.

Our ceiling is certainly a lot higher than a 13-7 league record and a first four appearance. I know we've all been burned, but come on my dudes.

The x-factor to me is Miller. If he's 80% as good as Appleby or Williams, we'll be really good and easily make the tournament. Asking a junior to be 80% as good as fifth-year seniors might be a tall task though.

And really he’s a sophomore college experience and eligibility-wise.

I'm not as optimistic on the team as a lot of you. I have high hopes but I'm tempering them until we can see how the team gels after a few games. I guess we have nothing but hope as a fanbase at large but I'm mildly in the meh camp overall. Definitely excited about the additions we've made though and I trust Forbes

I'm not as optimistic on the team as a lot of you. I have high hopes but I'm tempering them until we can see how the team gels after a few games. I guess we have nothing but hope as a fanbase at large but I'm mildly in the meh camp overall. Definitely excited about the additions we've made though and I trust Forbes

listen, if you can't commit to being irrationally exuberant, find another team to support

I thought it was a good portal response/pivot, but if you swap out Sallis/Reid for Horne/Samuel I’d have put the floor as a bubble team, but I just don’t know. Cautiously optimistic and ready to vibe and be hurt again depending on the summer.

Ah hope springs eternal as Wake fans…

I don't think the last two teams hit their ceiling.
Yea, this is kind of the thing for me, too. Sure, we've got 1st round draft picks and former 5-star recruits, etc., but we still haven't seen it all come together under Forbes.

Will be very interesting to see how Sallis and Reid play and develop here as compared to under Mark Few.

It would be very disappointing to not make the big dance next year with this level of talent.

Back