• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I missed the acc tourney game where bobi played well, but I'm not understanding how this was a huge loss on the level of John Collins, cp3 ect. In the games I saw bobi looked pretty irrelevant to be honest. I get that NBA sees a sleeper pick because of his size and versatility but I'm not convinced he would even have been averaging double digit points had he come back. Is there something I'm missing and I'm just being a dumb fuck?

It's not as big of a loss as CP3 or Collins. I don't think anyone is saying that.

It's still a loss, because we are a rebuilding program, and Bobi was an important piece to build around.

After Damari went down, Bobi saw his first extended playing time, and he averaged 8.5 points and over 7 rebounds per game over the last 11 games.

Yea, for like a minute. They will show all 5 of his highlights in a Wake uniform and that will be it. It would be different if people had seen a year of highlights from him in a Wake uniform, including, hopefully, some meaningful games in March and April - but nooooo...
They're going to cut to Yankees game and an Aaron Judge at bat.

Bobi was going to be a 12 ppg, 7-10 rebs, and a block a game type player. That's a pretty sizeable loss. He was also going to be able to defend a lot of positions, hit some 3's etc.

It's not as big of a loss as CP3 or Collins. I don't think anyone is saying that.

It's still a loss, because we are a rebuilding program, and Bobi was an important piece to build around.

After Damari went down, Bobi saw his first extended playing time, and he averaged 8.5 points and over 7 rebounds per game over the last 11 games.

8.5 points and 7 rebounds per game with Damari out and Carr very hobbled isn't dominating. I mean would love to have him back but I feel like Forbes can easily replace that production in the portal with the same upside potential.

again I don't know of anyone who said Bobi was dominating. But his numbers would have improved, and he provided some needed length and athleticism

It’s bizarre how many people are not understanding this or saying we “easily” could replace him in the portal. We already would have done it if that was the case.

There's like 30 pages of hand wringing over bobi leaving..... In my opinion, people were overvaluing Bobi's impact to the future success of the team.

Lol, "bizarre" that people may debate this on a sports board....

No I don't think we would have already replaced bobi with someone in the portal if Forbes thought he was replaceable..... You obviously want to keep productive members of a team that have already played a year in your system versus getting an unknown.

I just didn't see anything from bobi that wasn't somewhat replaceable in the portal for one year. If you're talking about a four year career with bobi at Wake, that's very different but sounds like would have been extremely unlikely

If we fill in the giant defensive gap we had last year, which seems like something Forbes has really been working on during the off-season with the new additions.... then I think we can still pull a better record than 19-14 with the squad that we have (assuming we'll pick up one more transfer) even without Bobi - Especially with a healthy AC/Mari

* A little bit of optimism for the remaining 2-3 people (including me) on this thread still thinking we'll be okay next year *

He was even better than that after Damari went down. 5 games, he averaged 9.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.8 blocks per game and was starting to flash everything except the strength to finish at the rim (which is something I’d expect would be high on the list of areas likely to improve next year). While our offense fell off a cliff after Monsanto went down, our defense also improved as a team in that stretch, and the light going on for Bobi between rebounding, help side rim protector, and length (while actually in the right spots) plus playing 30+ minutes a game was a good part of the reason. He flashed A LOT in those five games while everything that preceded it was sort of unmet potential.

He was going to be our best player next year. Most likely not our top scorer, but likely leading the team in rebounds and blocks while defending multiple positions. That loss will hurt.

If we land someone good in the portal that provides length and can contribute right away, it will hurt a lot less — and the additions of Sallis and Reid will help offset that as well.

If we fill in the giant defensive gap we had last year, which seems like something Forbes has really been working on during the off-season with the new additions.... then I think we can still pull a better record than 19-14 with the squad that we have (assuming we'll pick up one more transfer) even without Bobi - Especially with a healthy AC/Mari

* A little bit of optimism for the remaining 2-3 people (including me) on this thread still thinking we'll be okay next year *

My expectations for next year without Bobi is a year pretty similar to the Alondes team. Couple bounces and we can be dancing. Marsh and cam are going to take big leaps this year. Book it.

He was even better than that after Damari went down. 5 games, he averaged 9.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.8 blocks per game and was starting to flash everything except the strength to finish at the rim (which is something I’d expect would be high on the list of areas likely to improve next year). While our offense fell off a cliff after Monsanto went down, our defense also improved as a team in that stretch, and the light going on for Bobi between rebounding, help side rim protector, and length (while actually in the right spots) plus playing 30+ minutes a game was a good part of the reason. He flashed A LOT in those five games while everything that preceded it was sort of unmet potential.

He was going to be our best player next year. Most likely not our top scorer, but likely leading the team in rebounds and blocks while defending multiple positions. That loss will hurt.

If we land someone good in the portal that provides length and can contribute right away, it will hurt a lot less — and the additions of Sallis and Reid will help offset that as well.
To be quite honest I didn't watch much at all after Damari went down so I was basing my comments on what I had seen up to that point. Thanks for clarifying and seems I may have been pretty wrong

Another glass 2/3 full way to look at it is if Damari stayed healthy I doubt he would’ve been back at Wake this season. The injury pretty much threw Bobi out there for the world to see and he catapulted instead. Assuming Damari is ready (as it seems he may be), I’d rather have him. Not many players like him in CBB.

There’s another positive spin for your day.

I think the team can be roughly as good as this year but I don’t really see a tournament team without Bobi which is all that really matters at this point. We’d need everything to go right including significant contributions from Sallis and Reid IMO.

Back