• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Agreed. A true C isn't necessary in today's game. Improved Marsh and Keller can give us good minutes there.

But winning teams need as many athletic 3 and D and/or scoring wings as possible.
This is truth.

I was also surprised how big Sanogo and that giant Klingon were for UConn and they caused everyone problems in the tournament.

They and some other lanky 6 foot 11 kid caused a tough SDSU all sorts of issues.

Sigh, so reading all the comments I reluctantly understand Bobbi’s situation. It makes me sad to see him go and that we rarely get to have those “potential” first round picks come back like the blue bloods. I just gave to get over it…I do want the best for Bobi.

The whole notion of being a fan of any college sports team is eroding more quickly every day because of the the lure of professional money and individual player pursuit of anything ( playing time, skill development, overall image for scouts etc ) that is perceived to help get the initial contract. I've heard all the arguments for these college athletes chasing their dreams, but what about the fanbases and their dreams? I think our fanbase at a school like Wake Forest is doomed. In the past thre was always the hope that lucky recruiting and player development along with excellent coaching could give us a chance. That's no longer the case.

The whole notion of being a fan of any college sports team is eroding more quickly every day because of the the lure of professional money and individual player pursuit of anything ( playing time, skill development, overall image for scouts etc ) that is perceived to help get the initial contract. I've heard all the arguments for these college athletes chasing their dreams, but what about the fanbases and their dreams? I think our fanbase at a school like Wake Forest is doomed. In the past thre was always the hope that lucky recruiting and player development along with excellent coaching could give us a chance. That's no longer the case.
This is a ridiculous premise. SDSU, Miami, FAU, and UConn fans aren't complaining. No reason Wake fans can't be happy too. Hell, Wake baseball fans could be that happy in a few months.

One of the issues of being a fan is that the kids we’re rooting for don’t care as much about the school they play for as we do. That’s not just a Wake issue. Yes I will feel bad for Wake fans and Forbes. We have the POY and a first round pick w no NCAA; we then have another POY and no NCAA. Bobbi not coming back likely means no NCAA tournament again next year.

Basketball is about March and I’m starting to wonder with our history and the new landscape of we’ll ever get back.

This is a ridiculous premise. SDSU, Miami, FAU, and UConn fans aren't complaining. No reason Wake fans can't be happy too. Hell, Wake baseball fans could be that happy in a few months.
Yeah no problem here. Just throw enough NIL $ at enough guys in the portal and you are fine!

First time getting season tickets this year since redacted. Bobi was the only reason why I was going to renew my season tickets. I’m glad the transfer portal/one and done exists for kids but man college basketball just sucks now. I mean it was already an unwatchable product but this makes it even worse now.

Bobi needs to
One of the issues of being a fan is that the kids we’re rooting for don’t care as much about the school they play for as we do. That’s not just a Wake issue. Yes I will feel bad for Wake fans and Forbes. We have the POY and a first round pick w no NCAA; we then have another POY and no NCAA. Bobbi not coming back likely means no NCAA tournament again next year.

Basketball is about March and I’m starting to wonder with our history and the new landscape of we’ll ever get back.

I think we will ultimately be a premier basketball program. I think Forbes sticks with Wake, brings us success and we sustain success. Think of the gazillions of dollars guys like Sutton, Shah and McCreary have donated to elevate our sports programs. I can promise you they didn't do that to get their names on buildings. They aren't going to stop now...They didn't do that so we can be a perennial NIT team in basketball. They did it so we can win games in March

Forbes, Currie, Shah and company will get us over the hump, with or without Bobi.

You might say the college basketball is unwatchable, but for me it is still my favorite sport. It has been since grade school and it continues today. Wake basketball (a little lesser Wake Football) IS my sport…I watch other sports and follow other teams, but not with the same passion.

I just don’t see that ever changing.

You might say the college basketball is unwatchable, but for me it is still my favorite sport. It has been since grade school and it continues today. Wake basketball (a little lesser Wake Football) IS my sport…I watch other sports and follow other teams, but not with the same passion.

Same. The brutality is sobering yet we venture forth.

I don’t knock you for that but I want to watch the ball actually go in the hoop and not have 1/4 of the game be free throws and reviews. Half of the college basketball season my time would be better spent on going down to the YMCA and watching a pick up game.

However, March madness is the best sporting event in all of sports. Especially the first weekend.

Catching up from the last couple of days here. First, all you people need to get Athletic subscriptions. You can find deals for like $1/month for the first year.

Anyway, what is a recent example of a guy who declared while also saying “I’m maintaining my eligibility” who actually came back? I can’t think of anyone. Seems like once they declare, they’re always gone.

Smith for State last year. He was projected around where Jake was during the combine but he came back.

Last edited:
WTF. Just read The Athletic and came here. Want to cry. Why can’t we ever have things go our way 😢

Echoing what BBD said yesterday, this just puts Forbes in such a tough spot. If he waits until the combine (May 16-18) to make a decision then leaves it’s going to be extremely difficult to find a high caliber replacement.

Back