• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

From the Miami postgame... I think it gives you a good idea of what Forbes is thinking:

I think we've got to give -- we got better defensively over the week, this week, played pretty good defense. I think that we definitely -- that's a scenario we need to improve on. I don't think it's a scheme thing. I think it's just physicality, length and size.

We need more length on the perimeter. These guys are small guys. We need more physicality and rim protection at the basket. We've got to get more depth.

I didn't start the season thinking we'd be down to this many players. It started with Jake going pro, and then Jao getting hurt and Demari getting hurt, and it just kind of dwindled. No excuses, but I think that's something we've got to shore up in recruiting.

From the Miami postgame... I think it gives you a good idea of what Forbes is thinking:
So another Alondes. I can't imagine many underutilized guards with NBA bodies are just hanging around college basketball. I hope Forbes can strike gold again, but I think it's much more likely to get a guy like Appleby and that's fine.

I see Cam building on those made threes as the season wound down. If he gets his make percent up to about 35, he will be a handful fir opposing defenses.

So another Alondes. I can't imagine many underutilized guards with NBA bodies are just hanging around college basketball. I hope Forbes can strike gold again, but I think it's much more likely to get a guy like Appleby and that's fine.

But we seem to be playing against bigger guys

I don't think that's what he's saying. He's just saying that we can't defend well with guys the size of Ty, Daivien, & Cam at the 1-3.

Can you play stretches like that? Sure, but it can't be for 30+ minutes a game.

Ty & Daivien are both under 6'... We don't need Magic Johnson out there at PG, but a little more height at the 1-2 would be great on the defensive end.

I see Cam building on those made threes as the season wound down. If he gets his make percent up to about 35, he will be a handful fir opposing defenses.

Yeah, he doesn't need to be our best 3 point shooter, but he can't pass up wide open 3s. He's got to knock down the wide open looks he gets. Going from where he is now (inconsistent) to where he needs to be (average) shouldn't be a big ask as he continues to develop.

I'm interested to see the extent of Carr's injury. I think his wrist/hand is significantly hurt. He looked so much better before that. Even in some limited ACC play.

I agree. I think people are overlooking the impact his injury had on the season

I don't think that's what he's saying. He's just saying that we can't defend well with guys the size of Ty, Daivien, & Cam at the 1-3.

Can you play stretches like that? Sure, but it can't be for 30+ minutes a game.

Ty & Daivien are both under 6'... We don't need Magic Johnson out there at PG, but a little more height at the 1-2 would be great on the defensive end.
So he's not saying he wants to recruit bigger guards out of the portal like the 6-5 guard he coached last year?

I heard they might enter the CBI so he can get Maravich’s record.
Those teams always want to enter the CBI.

Just a quick look at the assist rate leaders in the ACC to find the PG heights shows that other than a couple of exceptions (Tyree, Kihei), most of them are 6'3 at least. We don't have to find 6'5 guys, but we have to get more length to prevent drives, especially if there isn't any rim protection inside. Most other ACC teams are finding them, so we certainly should be able to get at least one guy if that's our primary focus.

Cam and Monsanto should also get some time at the 2 depending on how we fill out the roster at the 4/5.

So he's not saying he wants to recruit bigger guards out of the portal like the 6-5 guard he coached last year?

Well, of course he'd take another Alondes... But you're right that those dudes don't grow on trees.

I really just think he's looking for a guard or two that won't have to overcome a lack of height. Jao isn't tall, but he's physical. If he's going to play big minutes next season, ideally you'd have another ball handler with some height.

And Alondes wasn't really a PG... He kind of filled that role by default. We were a terrible ball-handling team last year and struggled big time with turnovers.

And while I like Marsh and have been encouraged by his play this season, he was a mess today on defense (and rebounding, in general). We need a rim protector.

Carr is very good and will be better when 100% healthy. But I'd rather he and Bobi play the 3/4 than the 4/5.
Completely agree there. There are plenty of minutes for both of them to play plus some opponents who could be small ball matchups. But we need Marsh, Keller, and a transfer to be a rim protector, reliable rebounder, and post scorer. Preferably one guy can do all three, but I'll be content with a three-headed monster in which each guy can at least do one of them well.

We are going to see a lot of big men in the NCAAT first round that we like.

Presuming Bobi is our starting 4 all season, cannot play Carr at the 5 for long stretches. Occasionally yes.

Carter Whitt was 6'3. It's a real shame he didn't work out...at all...not even a little bit.

Back