• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

I think this is probably really important to remember as we “miss” on highly ranked recruits. Forbes sells the “everybody gets a chance” model not the “you’re the man and our offense will run through you model.” Also remember that neither Alodes nor Appleby were stars or even rising stars when they came to us. They were contributors on good/tournament teams, but neither were obviously going to come here take over a starting position and lead the league is scoring. You can counter that with “well Forbes has yet to make the tourney and we need to recruit studs…” that’s fair. If you want to be stressed about our portal recruiting, go for it, u do u, but I’m just adding a little context.
I’ve never been at a Forbes recruitment pitch so have no clue what he says, but Boopie clearly said Coach told him he is giving him the keys to the car and it was the staff’s job to put the right players around him to succeed. So in that case he made it seem like the offense would run through him.

I think at least some one here and elsewhere overestimate the available starting spots Wake has to offer.

One view shows Wake with a returnee starter on the current roster for all but point guard and a guy coming off injury for that spot.
1. Ituka
2. Hildreth
3. Klintman (Monsanto)
4. Carr
5. Marsh

Pushing out an incumbent starter is not as easy as filling a void.
There aren't many guys who dream of the John Havlicek role.

I get that thought. But this group minus a stud PG didn’t make the tournament. Not sure why this would be a group we’re happy with. Most glaring imho is marsh. He dunks and that’s about it. We absolutely need more from the 5. We’re much better than years past. But at some point we need to actually make the tournament

I’ve never been at a Forbes recruitment pitch so have no clue what he says, but Boopie clearly said Coach told him he is giving him the keys to the car and it was the staff’s job to put the right players around him to succeed. So in that case he made it seem like the offense would run through him.
I was thinking of this video:

“Everyone gets a chance…”

I appreciate the content generated over at 247. It could use a little help rhetorically...grammatically and syntactically, occasionally; but, as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as too much Wake content. So, kudos to them.

The board there, however, is...a weird space. I had so many dumbasses on ignore it made little sense in trying to read much of it at all.

I had a subscription over the past year, but I let it lapse. I started out enjoying it (yet again), but the quality of posters and postings steadily declined to the point I just lost interest.

Damari playing any significant minutes next season should be treated as upside. I’d have to imagine a torn patellar tendon needs a good solid year to return to form.

And he's our only returner between 6'3" and 6'9". So yeah, big concern! We need buckets and wing size, for sure.

I get that thought. But this group minus a stud PG didn’t make the tournament. Not sure why this would be a group we’re happy with. Most glaring imho is marsh. He dunks and that’s about it. We absolutely need more from the 5. We’re much better than years past. But at some point we need to actually make the tournament
Perfectly said about Marsh. Getting perfect passes for lob dunks makes for great shooting %. But when that is all you can do and can’t take the opponent big outside, it lets a guy like Wuffie Burns just hang in lane and clog the middle. Real hard for driving guards or Hildreth types to go to the hole.

Doesn't look good if he's adding a second home state school to his list. This just happens to be another Jesuit school in his hometown.

Re Marsh: I don’t think Forbes prefers to rely on sophomores if he can help it. He wants mature players who know how to execute. I expect that class will get a MUCH larger piece of the pie this year. As for his kit, a dominating drop-step can be enough in college with the right facilitator (see Eric Williams). He doesn’t have to develop a jumper, he may just need a go to, off the rim move within 7 feet.

As for his utilization, when you have an Appleby or Alondes, your first thought isn’t “we should run this offense through the freshman/sophomore post.” All that to say, I’d have a lot more faith in THIS post if Marsh could get his free throw percentage above 65%, and rebound/box out at half again his current rate.

Last edited:
He’s followed by the University of Nebraska-Omaha’s official men’s basketball account, a member of their staff and a former Omaha head coach.

Is his word gospel? I doubt it, but was notable given his Omaha location and Sallis’ connection there.

Anyway take it for what it’s worth.

One price of expansion is that there are far more major conference programs than there were 15 years ago. Creighton was in the MVC and wouldn't have been competitive with Wake for recruits. Now they're a Big East program that's better than Wake.

He’s followed by the University of Nebraska-Omaha’s official men’s basketball account, a member of their staff and a former Omaha head coach.

Is his word gospel? I doubt it, but was notable given his Omaha location and Sallis’ connection there.

Anyway take it for what it’s worth.
UN-O is not UN. They are in Lincoln. I think UN-O would be like UNCG following a kid that’s thinking about UNC.
That said, Creighton would scare me. They are probably a top ten team.

UN-O is not UN. They are in Lincoln. I think UN-O would be like UNCG following a kid [from Greensboro] that’s thinking about UNC.
That said, Creighton would scare me. They are probably a top ten team.

The key is Sallis is from Omaha and this guy has local ties.

It's not a stretch to say the portal has been a massive failure so far. We've gotten excited about atleast 4-5 guys to have none of them pan out at all. Boopie seems great, was out of nowhere, but we need more. Sallis hype seems to be slow to non existent now. Not even sure what's next on the radar. If Bobi leaves we're in trouble of being a bottom 6 team in the acc.

Back