• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Definitely not the right way to look at this given we have 4 remaining scholarships to give out, but Spillers > Keller.

Upgrades the frontcourt rotation.
I think that is the exact right way to look at it. We upgraded the position.
I love that he is aggressive but doesn’t turn it over.

I mean, I think we're like 10 months removed from Forbes telling us on a Zoom that there was no way to get transfers who had spent 3 years in college but weren't grad transfers yet.

Here's my story on Spillers.

@EssexThayer - Please explain to me how he's a rising senior with 2 years left.

That's huge, if true. Because he'll probably play a lot of minutes in '25-'26.
I mean, I think we're like 10 months removed from Forbes telling us on a Zoom that there was no way to get transfers who had spent 3 years in college but weren't grad transfers yet.

I imagine the explanation for Conor's statement here lies somewhere in the answer to DeacATS's question

True, but it wasn't that WF's admissions office rejected transfer candidates after their third year of college, but WF would not accept all of their credits earned to that point like other schools do. To get a WF degree, at least half your credits must come from WF classes. This isn't the case at most other schools.

Unless WF changed that policy, which is doubtful, it appears that Spillers looked at everything WF was offering (including NIL) and decided that WF was his best option even if all of his credits don't transfer.

I did not look up his juco shooting numbers, but Spillers only attempted 1 three pointer last year.

I'd just be really surprised if Spillers plays even half as many minutes at the 3 as he does at the 4.
Alondes took 24 3's his junior year at OU and shot 16.7%, then launched 142 for us. To date, Davion Bradford is the only (healthy, so no Ituka) transfer portal player in the Forbes era not to attempt at least 32 3's in a season. That's Efton's mark, and he obviously missed a fifth of the year. It's possible he can't and won't shoot any next year, but would be out of character for a Forbes recruit.

Regardless, if we add Kyle and Brickus and Sallis comes back, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say we'll be the prohibitive favorite for the national title and favored head-to-head against several NBA teams next year.

DR gonna have some dog whistles with Sp

I don’t know if that’s true, but I understand why it would feel that way.

Sallis is probably one of our highest rated recruits ever, and he’s rotting in Spokane with other 5*s without the portal.

In some ways the portal actually evens the gap more than widening it because elite programs can’t hoard talent on their bench anymore.
Fair points.

I watched him play several times this year. He plays hard and get lots of garbage baskets and runs . Ok with driving to the basket. But not a great shooter. He will get his from offensive rebounds and cuts to the paint when we are 5 out. I love the toughness he brings and ability to guard. He would be my 5th option on offense. Do not expect him to be a great 3 point shooter

Great get. I am assuming he will be more than just a sub for Reid/Carr.

Maybe some mins at the 3? Maybe some 3-big lineups if Reid can stay out of foul trouble?

Agree with @DeacsATS that we have to look at each player vs. last year's bench. He is a significant upgrade over 3M/Marsh/Keller. Also insurance if Carr bolts unexpectedly.

Essex & Cam say 2 years.
Conor & Les say 1 year.

I'm just gonna go with 2 years because I like that better.
In the new age of college basketball, it's so damn hard to figure this stuff out. Next big move is forcing colleges to have years of eligibility remaining on roster profiles.

I do believe it's two, but I'm not 100% on that. Took it out of the story until I can get confirmation on that exact number.

Edit: Being told that it is one year of eligibility. Certainly odd math with the JUCO factor there.

Regardless, if we add Kyle and Brickus and Sallis comes back, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say we'll be the prohibitive favorite for the national title and favored head-to-head against several NBA teams next year.

i like the cut of your jib!

In the new age of college basketball, it's so damn hard to figure this stuff out. Next big move is forcing colleges to have years of eligibility remaining on roster profiles.

I do believe it's two, but I'm not 100% on that. Took it out of the story until I can get confirmation on that exact number.
It's especially tricky since he did two years of JUCO ball before App State.

So I asked this question a few weeks ago if someone could just elect to be an academic junior even if they were a senior on the court. But several people said that your academic year has to match your eligibility year or else you will be ruled ineligibile. So this is confusing.

Alondes took 24 3's his junior year at OU and shot 16.7%, then launched 142 for us.
While I get this point, Alondes also played nearly triple as many minutes for Wake as he did the year before at OU. So on a per-minute basis he about doubled his 3PA. And he still shot under 30% from 3 for Wake, which is honestly pretty bad.

Maybe Spillers will shoot the ball some for Wake, but it's almost certainly not going to be a strength of his game. I just think he's a much better fit as a 4 in Forbes' offense than as a 3.

I mean he took literally one 3 this year. I wouldn’t expect him to be shooting them next year.

Back