• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Juke will play anywhere near the role that Parker did his freshman season.

I'm always hesitant to put freshmen in my officially unofficial minutes projections. That said, all I've heard from everyone for a year now is that he will play a role early. He's known to be a hell of a defender, which is assume will get him on the court. His length will be an asset against bigger guards. I'm going to go out on a limb that he plays in 80%+ of our games this season and averages 5-8 mpg. Just not sure how it's going to happen and who he will take minutes from.
With no Sallis, I foresee Juke getting no fewer than 12 minutes per game. He’s one of the better freshman prospects we’ve had in a long time. With more depth, expect Cam to have slightly fewer minutes this season.

I'm always hesitant to put freshmen in my officially unofficial minutes projections. That said, all I've heard from everyone for a year now is that he will play a role early. He's known to be a hell of a defender, which is assume will get him on the court. His length will be an asset against bigger guards. I'm going to go out on a limb that he plays in 80%+ of our games this season and averages 5-8 mpg. Just not sure how it's going to happen and who he will take minutes from.
Bold prediction ( based on nothing): Assumes Sallis is not at Wake.

Cam Hildreth is the backup Point Guard and plays about 10 min per game there. Cuts his wing minutes to about 15 -20.

If Forbes has the horses, I see him playing a deep rotation. The last two years, the Wake teams have hit a late season fatigue wall. Keeping starter minutes to 25-30 will help that.

Cam will be the alpha dog on the team. He will be the "gotta have a bucket here" guy. (Assumes wrist is healed.) He will be one of few three level scorers on the team.

There is not really any reason to take a player, freshman or fifth year and all in between where there are not minutes for them available. They will not be here next year if they don't play this year. They can obv play their way out of the rotation, but bringing someone in who you don't plan to play this coming year is just a waste of time, money, and resources this day and age.
Injuries still happen, right? Starters need good players to scrimmage against. Some players don't work out as expected. And some guys are better than expected. So I doubt many coaches agree with you there.

Injuries still happen, right? Starters need good players to scrimmage against. Some players don't work out as expected. And some guys are better than expected. So I doubt many coaches agree with you there.
Every coach wants his reserve guys to be as good as he can get so the starters feel they need to work hard to keep their starting roles.

Bold prediction ( based on nothing): Assumes Sallis is not at Wake.

Cam Hildreth is the backup Point Guard and plays about 10 min per game there. Cuts his wing minutes to about 15 -20.

If Forbes has the horses, I see him playing a deep rotation. The last two years, the Wake teams have hit a late season fatigue wall. Keeping starter minutes to 25-30 will help that.

Cam will be the alpha dog on the team. He will be the "gotta have a bucket here" guy. (Assumes wrist is healed.) He will be one of few three level scorers on the team.
I was close to making a post yesterday that Cam will be THE GUY, but I still think we will have 1 more THE GUY joining him, and I don't think it's KJ. I just don't think Forbes will go into the season without a true Sallis replacement. But Cam is more than capable of being THE GUY. But you need 2 of them. Can't just have 1 THE GUY

That's why you bring in players that you feel can contribute etc. I think we're doing a good job of this this year. You don't bring in projects anymore. It's trending to potentially smaller rosters also, check out Caliparis quotes recently. Whatever you think about him he's generally been on the forefront of any changes in CBB. He just can't coach!

We might decide we're better off not using every scholarship. Just saying.

Historically, WF men's basketball has had an open scholarship (as opposed to offering the full allotment of scholarships) more often than not

Update. Please note that we have 13 scholarships.

Scholarship counter:

1. Cam
2. Efton
3. Parker
4. MMM
5. Juke
6. Spillers
7. Omaha
8. Cosby
9. Ty-Laur Johnson
10. Churchill Abass

11. On hold (definitely) for Sallis. NBA Draft withdrawal deadline is 5/29. Decision by end of month, or on to the contingency plan.

12. On hold (probably) for KJ. Season runs through May. Decision expected in June.

13. No information whatsoever on targets.

By primary position, with the understanding that positions are fluid:

PG: Ty-Laur Johnson, Scholarship 12 (hopefully KJ)
SG: Cam Hildreth, Parker Friedrichsen
SF: Scholarship 11 (hopefully Sallis), Juke Harris, Davin Cosby
PF: Omaha Biliew, Tre'Von Spillers
C: Efton Reid, Churchill Abass

Unknown: Scholarship 13 (if filled)

If Cam is playing back-up PG, we've had a disastrous miss with KJ and any quality fall-back options.

Top uncommitted SG/CG:

Cam Christie - Great Freshman from MN, declared for draft maintaining eligibility, shot almost 40% from 3 (similar situation to Sallis - projected mid-second round with upside, not participating in scrimmages)
Wooga Poplar - averaged 13 pts at Miami last year, shot 38.5% from 3
Miles Kelly - 6'6" guard from GT, 14 pts/gm 32% from 3
Ken Evans - 6'5" guard Jacksonville St. - 18 pts/gm, 39.2% from 3

Top uncommitted SG/CG:

Cam Christie - Great Freshman from MN, declared for draft maintaining eligibility, shot almost 40% from 3 (similar situation to Sallis - projected mid-second round with upside, not participating in scrimmages)
Wooga Poplar - averaged 13 pts at Miami last year, shot 38.5% from 3
Miles Kelly - 6'6" guard from GT, 14 pts/gm 32% from 3
Ken Evans - 6'5" guard Jacksonville St. - 18 pts/gm, 39.2% from 3
Also, any player who entered the portal by the deadline and has since committed is not bound by their commitment until they show up on campus. (No one seems to know if summer school qualifies or it has to be fall semester). I doubt that we would tamper with any committed players, but we showed with JIC that we would reach out to players who have decommitted from their transfer portal destinations. Likewise, we'll need to play defense on Spillers, Omaha, Cosby, TLJ, and Abass until then. The other five are locked in.

Would we consider trying to bring Robert McCray back if Sallis stays in the draft? He had a hell of a season at Jacksonville.

Yeah the rise of posts saying that seems kinda weird. It's happened very few times, seems to be very much be the odd cases out and not the norm at all.

Back