• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Forbes needs to get us to the tourney this year. But I think it's obvious he's going to get another THE GUY. If not, then he's confident Ty'Laur or possibly KJ can be that guy for us.

much is made of the fact that we could theoretically get any portal guy, even if they're verbally committed elsewhere, but there does not seem to be much evidence that that is actually the case

Yeah the rise of posts saying that seems kinda weird. It's happened very few times, seems to be very much be the odd cases out and not the norm at all.

I think the reason this hasn't happened much is because the portal and NIL is still a relatively new thing. I think once the NBA stuff is sorted out, there will be another flurry of movement. Teams like Wake will lose guys like Sallis and have an open slot and money to fill it... There will be players receptive to better offers than what they currently have.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think you'll see a decent amount of movement in late May / early July from guys that are already "committed" to other schools. There just hasn't been any reason for them to waver yet.

Forbes needs to get us to the tourney this year. But I think it's obvious he's going to get another THE GUY. If not, then he's confident Ty'Laur or possibly KJ can be that guy for us.
It seems way more likely that instead of having one superstar level player this year, we'll have great depth of good players, which is something we haven't really seen under Forbes. I mean, we've had a first team all ACC player each of the last three seasons and still haven't made the NCAAT. This offseason, I'm less worried about getting another one of those guys and more worried about having as many good players on the team as we can.

Plus, with Forbes track record of turning unheralded recruits into All ACC players, it's reasonably possible that any of the incoming transfers already on board could take a massive leap and become THE GUY next year.

I also don't think it's a given that RTQ has money set aside for Sallis that they would be able to turn around and just spend on someone else if/when Sallis fully enters the draft.

Instead, they probably have commitment from big donors to pay Sallis if he comes back, but if he doesn't that money doesn't get spent this year. They aren't going to go give someone that isn't obviously worth it $800k+ just because the money is burning a hole in their pocket.

I've always been of the opinion that great teams need a bucket getter. 90% of the time you want to just run your offense and get the best possible shot, but there are times (mostly late in games) where you need a guy that you can basically iso and have him get at least a decent shot.

We had that with Alondes (though his shooting went in the tank at the end of the season) and Sallis. We did not have it the year between them (Ty was too small for that kind of role).

I don't think it's Cam, though he's probably closest. Maybe it's Omaha.

I also don't think it's a given that RTQ has money set aside for Sallis that they would be able to turn around and just spend on someone else if/when Sallis fully enters the draft.

Instead, they probably have commitment from big donors to pay Sallis if he comes back, but if he doesn't that money doesn't get spent this year. They aren't going to go give someone that isn't obviously worth it $800k+ just because the money is burning a hole in their pocket.
Totally agree with that. There's not some pool of money just sitting around that you can transfer to another player.

But the caveat is that you would, in theory, at least have some % of that available to fill a need.

So it's probably not $800k... But could it be $500k? For the right guy? Probably. But yeah, you are just gonna throw money at somebody that isn't worth it.

i think you're probably right and i think this is also completely ludicrous

Totally agree with that. There's not some pool of money just sitting around that you can transfer to another player.

But the caveat is that you would, in theory, at least have some % of that available to fill a need.

So it's probably not $800k... But could it be $500k? For the right guy? Probably. But yeah, you are just gonna throw money at somebody that isn't worth it.
Yeah, but this discussion is about luring away high impact players from their current portal commitments. Without using the full Sallis allotment, I don't see that happening.

I've always been of the opinion that great teams need a bucket getter. 90% of the time you want to just run your offense and get the best possible shot, but there are times (mostly late in games) where you need a guy that you can basically iso and have him get at least a decent shot.

We had that with Alondes (though his shooting went in the tank at the end of the season) and Sallis. We did not have it the year between them (Ty was too small for that kind of role).

I don't think it's Cam, though he's probably closest. Maybe it's Omaha.

Cam has been plagued at times with forcing it too much, but dude can get into the lane almost anytime he wants

Yeah, but this discussion is about luring away high impact players from their current portal commitments. Without using the full Sallis allotment, I don't see that happening.

I have zero inside information, but it wouldn't shock me to find out conversations have already been had with targets.

Not just from Wake, but from all of the schools in a similar situation.

Forbes is no dummy. He's not going to go into next season with a Sallis-sized hole in the roster if there is some way to fill it.

But I could also just be naive.

Cam has been plagued at times with forcing it too much, but dude can get into the lane almost anytime he wants

Sure, but I've also seen him take a number of terrible shots in crunch time.

I believe Forbes even called him out on one such occasion when he brought the ball up instead of Hunter.

ETA: The UVA game.

Injuries still happen, right? Starters need good players to scrimmage against. Some players don't work out as expected. And some guys are better than expected. So I doubt many coaches agree with you there.
Exactly right. Forbes has been down a couple guys, that were expected to play a lot, for most of his time at Wake. We want an ACC caliber player to replace those injuried/sick players that miss time.

Cam kept trying to do everything after his arm injury. He just didn't have the physical capability to do some things well. If he is healed up, he'll be one of the best players in the league in 2024-2025. He'll hit 40%+ on threes and have over 100 attempts. As noted, he can get in the lane at will and finish, draw a foul, or both. He needs to add the 5-10 foot tear drop or floater to his repertoire. Also, he needs a better understanding of when a drive should result in a kickout pass to a wide open Parker or other three point shooter.

Heard that Cam isn’t getting surgery this offseason. Hairline fracture

Did our insiders really all get out scooped by a 12 year old on Baba to FAU news?

What is going on here?

Is the staff just fucking with them or something?

Did our insiders really all get out scooped by a 12 year old on Baba to FAU news?

What is going on here?

Is the staff just fucking with them or something?
I mean not to defend our insiders but it's possible the FAU coaches got the news first before Baba let the Wake coaches know.

Back