• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

the west virginia game (to me) was worse because it was so early in the tournament, Wake was healthy, and west virginia did not have any NBA players

so what do you guys think are realistic expectations for next year?
Bubble team again. Forbes will probably hit on one or two the transfers again, but a couple of them are likely to not pan out. To add to known contributors Cam, Parker and Reid, we really will need 5 of the newcomers (Juke included) to be legit regular ACC contributors and I think that is asking a bit much. I'm concerned we will be in the same spot with some really nice players, but not quite enough depth to be a tournament team. Cam, Reid the best of the transfers playing too many minutes. If Sallis returns and we add a couple more incoming guys that can contribute in the ACC, the odds increase that we can be better than we've been the last few years of course.

If Sallis returns (and especially if we get Jaspar), I feel like this is a top 20 team. Sallis, Cam, and Efton are a really good core 3 guys, with plenty of pieces to compliment them in different ways, and a lot more athleticism/depth.

Without Sallis, it's probably bubble-ish again with a high ceiling but low floor, and nothing would surprise me.

Kinda think the worst loss I’ve ever experienced was to Houston Baptist at home. But there were maybe 200 fans at the Joel, no students, a birthday party of kids screaming “YOU’RE EMBARRASSING,” and a rowdy Houston Baptist fan section. And we lost to one of the worst teams in college basketball. In overtime. The other ones are bad losses, but bad teams don’t even lose to Houston Baptist.

Runners up: Stetson, Delaware State, and Presbyterian

Biliew was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 3 pts/gm coming off the bench
Sallis was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 4 pts/gm coming off the bench

Laravia - MVC All-Freshman Team, avg. 10.4 pts/gm
Spillers - 1st team all Sun-Belt, led team in pts (12.8/game) and rebounds (8.9/game)

Alondes - Averaged 6.7 pts off the bench at Oklahoma

Ty-laur Johnson avg. 8.7 and a 1.8 A:TO ratio off the bench
Ty Appleby avg. 10.2 at Florida with a 1.2 A:TO rate
Yes, but when you rewrite history with 20:20 hindsight it's a very different story.

Kinda think the worst loss I’ve ever experienced was to Houston Baptist at home. But there were maybe 200 fans at the Joel, no students, a birthday party of kids screaming “YOU’RE EMBARRASSING,” and a rowdy Houston Baptist fan section. And we lost to one of the worst teams in college basketball. In overtime. The other ones are bad losses, but bad teams don’t even lose to Houston Baptist.

Runners up: Stetson, Delaware State, and Presbyterian
Always bad to lose to a team I’ve never heard of. I at least knew of Stetson since I grew up in FL, but still a horrible start to the Lost Decade.

Biliew was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 3 pts/gm coming off the bench
Sallis was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 4 pts/gm coming off the bench

Laravia - MVC All-Freshman Team, avg. 10.4 pts/gm
Spillers - 1st team all Sun-Belt, led team in pts (12.8/game) and rebounds (8.9/game)

Alondes - Averaged 6.7 pts off the bench at Oklahoma

Ty-laur Johnson avg. 8.7 and a 1.8 A:TO ratio off the bench
Ty Appleby avg. 10.2 at Florida with a 1.2 A:TO rate
Right, and we got nowhere with those guys despite the leaps they made. So we're in the same spot of hoping these new guys not only all make those same massive leaps, but that they also collectively outperform the prior teams. I don't see it. I guess the argument is that they are all here together, but it isn't like those other prior teams didn't have other transfers who sucked and didn't make the leap. We're just doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results.

Bubble team again. Forbes will probably hit on one or two the transfers again, but a couple of them are likely to not pan out. To add to known contributors Cam, Parker and Reid, we really will need 5 of the newcomers (Juke included) to be legit regular ACC contributors and I think that is asking a bit much. I'm concerned we will be in the same spot with some really nice players, but not quite enough depth to be a tournament team. Cam, Reid the best of the transfers playing too many minutes. If Sallis returns and we add a couple more incoming guys that can contribute in the ACC, the odds increase that we can be better than we've been the last few years of course.
i agree

although some folks getting all butthurt to suggest that next year will most likely be similar to 2021-2022 and 2023-2024

unless sallis comes back and omaha takes a ridiculous leap in his development

i agree

although some folks getting all butthurt to suggest that next year will most likely be similar to 2021-2022 and 2023-2024

unless sallis comes back and omaha takes a ridiculous leap in his development
If next year is similar to 2023-2024, it's very likely that Wake makes the NCAAT. Pretty unlikely that Wake would lose that many close games on the road again, unless the problems on the road are something inherent to Forbes himself.

lol guys, bringing up bad losses don't help with the VIBEZ

To be honest, my best case scenario that I'm imagining for these next 12 months is:

-Sallis going first round and cracking the rotation of an NBA team
-Wake going to the dance anyway with an above .667 record in the ACC
  • Forbes winning ACC COY again
  • Wake playing a team in the NCAAT that has a Wake transfer on it - and the focus of our run to the Sweet 16 being Forbes being a Portal Whisperer (which leads to more success in the next year's portal)

"Doing the same things over and over again" is the staff trying to bring in the best possible players so that we can win more games the next season. That's what every team in the country does, regardless of whether they are 2-time national champs or shit conference doormats.

I'd actually argue that we're doing things a little differently this time around. Clearly focusing on increasing athleticism and defensive skill, where as the first few years it was certainly more of a "recruit offense, coach defense" mentality.

Right, and we got nowhere with those guys despite the leaps they made. So we're in the same spot of hoping these new guys not only all make those same massive leaps, but that they also collectively outperform the prior teams. I don't see it. I guess the argument is that they are all here together, but it isn't like those other prior teams didn't have other transfers who sucked and didn't make the leap. We're just doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results.
OK. We get it. WF is doomed, at least as long as Forbes is the coach. We are fools for believing in him. Can we move on now?

Those guys were spread across three different teams in three different season. You're acting like Sallis, Alondes, Appleby, and Laravia all played on the same team.

Isn't Biliew a 4? I could see our App guy starting and him coming off the bench.

Back