• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

I think the Stetson loss all those years ago left more scarring than the Butler or Kentucky (multiple) massacres. I didn't even know it was a college. Thought we had lost to a cowboy hat. WTF. Still pisses me off.
Damn I was at that game, only because they gave away tickets basically. Had never heard of them before at the time and I've followed college basketball and wake pretty closely my whole life at the time. Forboding sign of bullshit to come I guess

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Why does Canka's announcement say signed? I was told that no transfers sign anything and they are all still up for grabs

Why does Canka's announcement say signed? I was told that no transfers sign anything and they are all still up for grabs

No idea why Stetson would use "SIGNED" in their social media stuff. I guess you could say he signed an NIL agreement? But those agreements are conditional on the player fulfilling certain obligations. The player could certainly still decide to play elsewhere if they had a change of heart (or a better offer).

Probably because “signed” is an easy one word way of saying it. And I’m sure there was some kind of paperwork that was actually signed.

Christ you are spineless…go jump on a bandwagon for any team that has a good season (or two). I am fully aware of where we are in stature, but I have been a Wake fan a long time. Good and bad, and fuck yes, I think we have a better team right now and we play better teams than CUSA or AAC.

Fucking hell
I'm still here, after decades of irrelevance. I don't think anyone here can be accused of bandwagonning anything (obviously other than the Cowboys fans among us). But I'm still not delusional enough to think we are a good team. We are a shit program with a shit coach. And so far we've added a bunch of no-name players from mid-level schools. We haven't made the tournament with prior similar players, I don't know why anyone would think Forbes will make magic happen this time.

Who is more likely to make the tournament this coming season - FAU or us? I'm going with FAU, even though the only player I know of theirs is Bababooey, and I don't even know what conference they are in now. But they are still more likely to make the tournament than us.

I'm still here, after decades of irrelevance. I don't think anyone here can be accused of bandwagonning anything (obviously other than the Cowboys fans among us). But I'm still not delusional enough to think we are a good team. We are a shit program with a shit coach. And so far we've added a bunch of no-name players from mid-level schools. We haven't made the tournament with prior similar players, I don't know why anyone would think Forbes will make magic happen this time.

Who is more likely to make the tournament this coming season - FAU or us? I'm going with FAU, even though the only player I know of theirs is Bababooey, and I don't even know what conference they are in now. But they are still more likely to make the tournament than us.

I don't usually engage, but:
Davin Cosby is from Alabama, which made the Final Four. Davin was a target of Wake Forest out of high school, so not accurate to say he's no-name (at least to Wake fans).
Omaha Beliew is from Iowa State, which was a #2 seed in the NCAA Tourney (advancing to the Sweet 16). Omaha was a McDonald's All-American (and the #13 ranked player overall coming out of high school).

So those are 2 players that are neither "no-names" nor "players from mid-level schools".

Louisville is not a mid-level school, but I'll agree they've been terrible for 2-3 years now.

That leaves the players from App St & Depaul. Spillers was All-Sun Belt first team and a 1st Team All-American JUCO player. He also played very well against Wake Forest (12pts, 10reb). Abass is slotted to play backup C for this team, and by all accounts is a physical beast.

I'm not saying we're a Top 10 team... But the pieces are largely in place for a successful season. I'm of the belief that we'll take another step forward toward becoming a non-shit program.

Davin Cosby is from Alabama, which made the Final Four. Davin was a target of Wake Forest out of high school, so not accurate to say he's no-name (at least to Wake fans).
Omaha Beliew is from Iowa State, which was a #2 seed in the NCAA Tourney (advancing to the Sweet 16). Omaha was a McDonald's All-American (and the #13 ranked player overall coming out of high school).

So those are 2 players that are neither "no-names" nor "players from mid-level schools".

Louisville is not a mid-level school, but I'll agree they've been terrible for 2-3 years now.

That leaves the players from App St & Depaul. Spillers was All-Sun Belt first team and a 1st Team All-American JUCO player. He also played very well against Wake Forest (12pts, 10reb). Abass is slotted to play backup C for this team, and by all accounts is a physical beast.

I'm not saying we're a Top 10 team... But the pieces are largely in place for a successful season. I'm of the belief that we'll take another step forward toward becoming a non-shit program.
He knows all of this. He is just a motherfucking moron and troll.

401fe32d-e2f1-4778-bb1e-19e3b63bff88_text.gif

2&2 is a less funny Shooter McGavin.

Hopefully you are right. But I don't think any of those guys had the profile of Sallis as a McD AA coming from Gonzaga, or Appleby coming as a known dude from UF. And it would be surprising if any of them were as good as LaRavia who was the 19th pick in the draft, or Alondes who was ACC POY and a fringe NBA player. And throw in Reid who was considered a great acquisition. And Forbes couldn't get it done with any of those guys. Maybe he'll get lucky this time. But at this point we are asking the ingredients to carry the chef, because the chef has already proven that he can't cook.

so what do you guys think are realistic expectations for next year?

Hopefully you are right. But I don't think any of those guys had the profile of Sallis as a McD AA coming from Gonzaga, or Appleby coming as a known dude from UF. And it would be surprising if any of them were as good as LaRavia who was the 19th pick in the draft, or Alondes who was ACC POY and a fringe NBA player. And throw in Reid who was considered a great acquisition. And Forbes couldn't get it done with any of those guys. Maybe he'll get lucky this time. But at this point we are asking the ingredients to carry the chef, because the chef has already proven that he can't cook.
Biliew was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 3 pts/gm coming off the bench
Sallis was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 4 pts/gm coming off the bench

Laravia - MVC All-Freshman Team, avg. 10.4 pts/gm
Spillers - 1st team all Sun-Belt, led team in pts (12.8/game) and rebounds (8.9/game)

Alondes - Averaged 6.7 pts off the bench at Oklahoma

Ty-laur Johnson avg. 8.7 and a 1.8 A:TO ratio off the bench
Ty Appleby avg. 10.2 at Florida with a 1.2 A:TO rate

Last edited:
For me the worst losses were: Oklahoma St in 1995 and West Virginia in 2005. I thought both of those Wake teams should be in the Final Four.

Biliew was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 3 pts/gm coming off the bench
Sallis was a McDonald's All-American, Averaging 4 pts/gm coming off the bench

Laravia - MVC All-Freshman Team, avg. 10.4 pts/gm
Spillers - 1st team all Sun-Belt, led team in pts (12.8/game) and rebounds (8.9/game)

Ty-laur Johnson avg. 8.7 and a 1.8 A:TO ratio off the bench
Ty Appleby avg. 10.2 at Florida with a 1.2 A:TO rate
Importantly, you are comparing three incoming 2024-25 players to three Wake players that played on three different teams. Which highlights the depth Wake looks to have next season, which is new for a Forbes team.

Back