• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

There have been 10+ pages added to this thread in the last 24 hours. As the kids would say these days, can someone give me the tl;dr? Did some actual news happen (Sallis officially not coming back, we missed on a top target, etc) or is it just the usual kvetching over nothing substantive?

Feels like nothing going to happen for at least a week. Waiting on Hunter decision (which I suspect will drag on until the very last minute) and KJ news (June).

I don't think much else is going on until then.

Bababooey waiting to see if Hunter is leaving the 3 spot open before he decides?

2+2 might get support from Forbes on this topic. For four years he has depended on two basic tenets. Recruit offense and teach defense. Gritty, grimey, tough and together. His teams have had sufficient offense to post winning seasons in and out of conference. During the past three seasons the Deacons are 64-48 overall and 34-26 but have no invites to the Dance to show for it. The reason may be that recruit offense and teach defense doesn't work at the ACC level. There are too many nights that Forbes has lamented that he couldn't get the team to play enough defense to win. They would not or could not. The leam lacked the GGTT required to maintain defensive performance. The remedy is to recruit players with better athleticism, toughness and grit. Players capable and willing to play defense. That has been Forbes approach this spring. It is his acknowledgement of what Wake has lacked and what is required for the team to make the Dance. You need dogs to play D and the Deacs haven't had them. Better recruit them if you want to succeed.

I feel pretty sure about Ty-Laur and Omaha at least having a high floor. A 30%+ assist rate as a freshman in the ACC on a horrible team just screams Forbes portal success.

Agree on Ty-Laur, but Curious why you think there is a high floor for Omaha. Seems like a quintessential (very) high ceiling low floor guy.

Agree on Ty-Laur, but Curious why you think there is a high floor for Omaha. Seems like a quintessential (very) high ceiling low floor guy.

Players in the national top 15 rarely ever suck. Now they don’t all become stars or peak at the levels expected, but at the minimum they are solid college players.

I mean they are wild for many reasons, including incomplete roster minute projections, but I don't think I've seen a post saying that. The quote feature is your friend.

And if anyone said it, I'm sure they meant playing the 3 in a 3 guard offense just because he's taller than the others.

2+2 might get support from Forbes on this topic. For four years he has depended on two basic tenets. Recruit offense and teach defense. Gritty, grimey, tough and together. His teams have had sufficient offense to post winning seasons in and out of conference. During the past three seasons the Deacons are 64-48 overall and 34-26 but have no invites to the Dance to show for it. The reason may be that recruit offense and teach defense doesn't work at the ACC level. There are too many nights that Forbes has lamented that he couldn't get the team to play enough defense to win. They would not or could not. The leam lacked the GGTT required to maintain defensive performance. The remedy is to recruit players with better athleticism, toughness and grit. Players capable and willing to play defense. That has been Forbes approach this spring. It is his acknowledgement of what Wake has lacked and what is required for the team to make the Dance. You need dogs to play D and the Deacs haven't had them. Better recruit them if you want to succeed.
Totally agree with this. And it was said much better than I've tried to post myself.

You know, when Cosby Spillers’ed his Johnson, he fell really far from grace - Biliew the Abass - and he wouldn’t have made it if not for Kaspar the Friendly Ghost

Ok, I’m out

Back