• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Recent albums I've been into:
"In Times New Roman" - Queens of the Stone Age (my take: nothing new here, familiar sound for QOTSA. I like it)

"Black Classical Music" - Yussef Dayes (What. A. Debut. Love it).

"Stakes is High" - De La Soul (to be honest, I had never listened to this album before, but I really like it! Maybe I heard stuff from it? First album without Prince Paul and marks a shift in their sound. Also serves as something of a launching point for Mos Def and Common)

Other (new to me) albums I've been enjoying lately:
"Cousin" by Wilco

"Multitudes" by Feist

"Strangeways, here we come" by The Smiths

Not an album, but recently listened to My Morning Jacket from Frost Amphitheater 8/14/22 - the more I listen to MMJ the more I like this band (not surprising - they were one of my favorite shows last year).

Decided I wanted to spend a little more time with current music, so here are a few 2024 releases I've enjoyed so far:

Green Day - "Saviors"
The 14th studio album from America's biggest punk rock band. Sounds a little formulaic to my ears - typical "laugh while the world burns" kind of songwriting. It's good, not great. I don't know if I'll revisit this one much.

Brittany Howard - "What Now"
This album is outrageously good; I can't wait to play it again, loud. So many lush sounds in this album; dance songs, funk, soul. Her range is just so fucking big. I'm into it.

Alkaline Trio - "Blood, Hair, and Eyeballs"
Very strong release (10th album!) from a band that's been at it a long time. Sounds really fresh for a band at this point in their career. Tight melodies, big hooks, and darkly humorous lyrics. Not sure if this wins a lot of new fans, but if you like the band I think you'll really like this album.

Decided I wanted to spend a little more time with current music, so here are a few 2024 releases I've enjoyed so far:

Green Day - "Saviors"
The 14th studio album from America's biggest punk rock band. Sounds a little formulaic to my ears - typical "laugh while the world burns" kind of songwriting. It's good, not great. I don't know if I'll revisit this one much.

Brittany Howard - "What Now"
This album is outrageously good; I can't wait to play it again, loud. So many lush sounds in this album; dance songs, funk, soul. Her range is just so fucking big. I'm into it.

Alkaline Trio - "Blood, Hair, and Eyeballs"
Very strong release (10th album!) from a band that's been at it a long time. Sounds really fresh for a band at this point in their career. Tight melodies, big hooks, and darkly humorous lyrics. Not sure if this wins a lot of new fans, but if you like the band I think you'll really like this album.
You going to them and drug church at fillmore in a couple of weeks? It is going to be dope. Also, check out drug church if you haven't. They are dope. Buddy from high school mixed their most recent album.

Not an album, but recently listened to My Morning Jacket from Frost Amphitheater 8/14/22 - the more I listen to MMJ the more I like this band (not surprising - they were one of my favorite shows last year).
I'm a huge MMJ fan -- seeing them next at Bourbon and Beyond in Louisville The Sunday headliner lineup is unreal (for me): Tyler Childers. MMJ, The National, The War on Drugs.

You going to them and drug church at fillmore in a couple of weeks? It is going to be dope. Also, check out drug church if you haven't. They are dope. Buddy from high school mixed their most recent album.
I'm not sure. I need to look at what other shows are going on this month. How about you?

Checking out the new J Mascis album "What Do We Do Now" - really solid effort; not breaking any ground on this one, but still a good album start to finish.

Went to see Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit at Radio City Music Hall last weekend. Really good show. Listening to his latest album Weathervanes right now. Took some friends that barely knew who he was and had to sort of make them go. Now they are obsessed.

Listening to Film Noir, the latest from Swervedriver frontman Adam Franklin's solo gig, the Bolts of Melody. Interesting little pieces, mostly little soundtracks. And probably the most like his Toshack Highway album, whereas previous Bolts of Melody stuff was more like toned down Swervedriver. Worthwhile chill music, particularly if you like to smoke a lot of dope.

Went to see Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit at Radio City Music Hall last weekend. Really good show. Listening to his latest album Weathervanes right now. Took some friends that barely knew who he was and had to sort of make them go. Now they are obsessed.

He should not divorce amanda shires

Back