• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What do your kids call your parents or what do you call your grandparents

names of grandparents

• Grandma/Grandpa

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Grandmama/Granddaddy

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Nana/Papa

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Some combination of the above (also select those options)

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • Doofus and Numbers

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Grandmother/Grandfather

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
I wish someone here called them Pop pop AND Gange like the Bluths do...

For my daughter it's Grammy/Pop Pop on my side, and Grandma/Grandpap on my wife's side. My wife and I basically set that up after asking the grandparents what they wanted to be called. There was a bit of a struggle over Pop Pop for a while, but I eventually settled that through strenuous corrections whenever it was mentioned.

For myself, my father's parents were Grandmom/Pop Pop and my mother's parents were Nanny/Pop. I am a younger brother, so those names were already established for my grandparents.

My oldest is actually not my biological son, so when he was first introduced to my parents - in an awkward moment - my (now) wife introduced them as "Lee's Mommy and Lee's Daddy." The next morning, before we woke up (but after he did) they became "LeeMommy and LeeDaddy"

Our youngest calls them "MeMommy" and "Yo", which is a variation of "LeeMommy" (obvious) and Leo (my father's name.)

My wife's mother is "Willita" - a variation of abuelita.

My grandparents: grandma and grandpa

My parents: Papa and Gigi. They actually had a lot of discussion about what they wanted to be called and decided upon this. My niece is apparently good at following directions because its happened just as planned.

One of my exes called her grandma "Oma" and it drove me crazy. Strange names for grandparents just sounds weird out of someone's mouth over the age of 20.

Dad's parents are Nana and Grandpa.

Mom's parents were/are Grandma and Grandpa Bill - they were divorced and he was remarried well before I was born. Grandpa Bill's second wife's name is Maggie - she told us to call her GrandMag, which I distinctly remember telling my Mom was "just plain stupid" at age 4. I've pretty much just always called her Maggie.

I was actually reading an article recently about how lots of old people don't want to be called "grandma" and "grandpa" anymore because it makes them feel even older than they are, so they're replacing them with words like "giraffe" and "plate," because supposedly those are the words that give a young tongue the most help with dexterity. To each their own I guess.

That's not strange.

seriously. I know a bunch of first and second generation german-americans who have omas

In Danish there are 2 words for grandfather (in addition to bedstefar) based on whether he is your paternal or maternal grandfather. I always thought that made so much sense but a friend once told me it is really confusing to little kids when they have cousins calling their farfar "morfar" at family functions

seriously. I know a bunch of first and second generation german-americans who have omas

In Danish there are 2 words for grandfather (in addition to bedstefar) based on whether he is your paternal or maternal grandfather. I always thought that made so much sense but a friend once told me it is really confusing to little kids when they have cousins calling their farfar "morfar" at family functions

There are a bunch of people who derive pleasure out of stuffed animals out there, doesn't make them any less strange.

I called my grandparents Mommom and Poppop. Called my parents Mom and Dad (surprised not more people did). My parents want to be called Nana and Papi by my kids.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I called my grandparents Mommom and Poppop. Called my parents Mom and Dad (surprised not more people did). My parents want to be called Nana and Papi by my kids.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Who else has said they didn't use mom and dad?

Grandma, Grandad, Grammy, and never knew my other grandfather.

My cousins ran with the "Grammy" thing, though, and used "Unkie" for my dad and "Auntie" his sister.

Who else has said they didn't use mom and dad?

Must've been deleted, but earlier in the thread, someone had said they call their mom and dad "Adam and "Eve" and then a second person said they do the same thing. I think that's what he was referring to.

My dad's parents were Mamaw and Papaw. There were grand kids before me, so I didn't name them. My mom's parents were Grandmaw and Pawpaw.

Wife's grandparents were Granny and Pa on one side, Mawmaw and Pawpaw on the other side.

My great grand father was called Daddy Tom (grandpa's dad), and my great grandmother was Grandma Nelly (grandma's mom)

So speaking languages other than English is strange?

My point being is that as a red blooded american male, I would prefer not taking to poundtown someone who has a Oma, Memam, Mimi, Nan-Nan or Mamaw.

I can't possibly be alone in this. Adults calling their grandparents kiddish sounding names is most definately weird.

Last edited:
Back