• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the greatest basketball game in Wake Forest history?

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
I am a little surprised to see the low level of support for #22 on the Mt. DeacMore thread, but didn't want to threadjack. Is there any better basketball game in Wake Forest history than the 1995 ACCT Finals (overtime when over archrivals in the Finals for the first ACC title in 33 years, featuring the most epic perimeter move/taunt in ACC history)? if so, I'd like to hear it. What say you?

Our best when was either that or the when over DePaul in the Retire Meyer game.

I think the Childress game is likely the best game in Wake history. The 119-114 triple OT game is likely one of the best games in ACC history strictly from a sense of "which game is individually the best," but gets overshadowed because it wasn't really for anything and was, I believe, the first conference game of the year for both teams.

Our best when was either that or the when over DePaul in the Retire Meyer game.

IIRC we were down 8 points with about 3 minutes to go in the era before a shot clock and a 3-point line. Just like sales and income figures from various decades are "inflation-adjusted" for comparative purposes, it would be interesting to see how making up an 8 point defecit with no shot clock or 3 pointer would equate now, i.e. is it the equivalent of a dozen points or more? Only thing I recall was thinking the game was over, but maybe that's the longtime WFU coming out in me.

I think the Childress game is likely the best game in Wake history. The 119-114 triple OT game is likely one of the best games in ACC history strictly from a sense of "which game is individually the best," but gets overshadowed because it wasn't really for anything and was, I believe, the first conference game of the year for both teams.

Without much regard to history before the 90's, TITCR.

It depends on your definition:

Most fun to watch - Wake-UNC 119-114
Biggest win - Retiring Ray Meyer

Other biggies- Chill winning ACCT; Lee Foye beats UNC in ACCT

I am a little surprised to see the low level of support for #22 on the Mt. DeacMore thread, but didn't want to threadjack. Is there any better basketball game in Wake Forest history than the 1995 ACCT Finals (overtime when over archrivals in the Finals for the first ACC title in 33 years, featuring the most epic perimeter move/taunt in ACC history)? if so, I'd like to hear it. What say you?

Also, the game was for the #1 seed in the East Regional. Childress scored all 9 of Wake's points in OT, and the last shot not only won the game, but it broke the ACC Tournament scoring record which had been held by Lennie Rosenbluth of UNC since 1957.

There's no question it was the 1995 ACC Championship game against UNC.

So much on the line and we delivered.

Next topic.

I'd argue beating UCLA to finish third in the country is probably the greatest game in Wake history. I mean we did, you know, end up finishing 3rd in the country.

LOL. There is no doubt that the '95 ACCT Championship game ranks at or near the top of all WF basketball games in history. I didn't watch it, but from everything I've read about it, Randolph Childress put on an awesome performance.
Glad to see you swim by this in the same post: The 119-114 triple OT game is likely one of the best games in ACC history strictly from a sense of "which game is individually the best," but gets overshadowed because it wasn't really for anything and was, I believe, the first conference game of the year for both teams.

I was at the Retire Meyer game... and still have it on videotape. DePaul had a freshman named Comegys who was one of their top players... Wake scored late, but the game was all but over... all DePaul had to do was to inbound the ball, instead they tried to throw it to Comegys at half court for a breakaway dunk that was unnecessary but would have been flashy. The ball sailed high and over his head into the stands. We scored to put it into overtime. I think Danny Young knived his way through the lane to score the winning bucket on a layup in OT.

Also remember the next game against Houston (Phi Slamma Jamma) (was there as well)... Remember Wake battled back from a double digit deficit late in the final minutes and made a steal which would have cut the lead to 3... it was a breakaway with only Rudd and Young (I think that IIRC) on the Houston side of the court...the uncontested layup that could have been wasn't because Young (I think) dribbled the ball off of his foot and it rolled out of bounds. I can remember the other guard (Rudd) dropping to his knees and pounding his fist against the floor. You could just tell we had just let the air out of the comeback balloon...

Oh well, at least I met one of my all-time Playboy centerfolds who attended the games (she was a Memphis State fan and sat in front of me. Since she made me truly appreciate the backside of a woman, I had a great seat! (But so did she))

The 119-114 game featured two teams who were ranked in the top 15 in the country tie in the first half, the second half, the first overtime, and the second overtime, and I believe set a record for most points in an ACC game. It was an absolute bloodfest where both teams just kept rising to the occasion and making plays. If you don't look at it from a "this game was for an NCAA tournament berth" or "for an ACC title," it was almost certainly one of the best games in ACC history.

Has to be. I think a good case could be made that for pure entertainment value & competetion...particularly considering that it was between two bitter rivals (and Roy Williams' 1st game as UNC coach)....it might rival the 1974 ACCT finals as the best ACC game in history.

It was Roy's first ACC game as UNC's head coach.

One game I'll put up is the Dec. 1959 Dixie Classics Championship win over UNC: 53-50 IIRC. The glow of their 32-0 Nat. Champ. year was still around and this was a break-thru for Wake and started a very successful run of seasons for Wake basketball that included our final 4 trip. Billy Packer and Len Chappell debuted and continued the excellent teams that Jack Murdock and company had established. Fun times with 'Bones' as coach..

I'd argue beating UCLA to finish third in the country is probably the greatest game in Wake history. I mean we did, you know, end up finishing 3rd in the country.

And that was the last tournament game that UCLA lost for a long time.

Back