• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the greatest basketball game in Wake Forest history?

Wake had some good wins vs Duke at Cameron during the Chill and TD years, if I recall correctly.

Another vote for the 1995 ACC CG- Chill with the dagger floater for the win!

My number one is Childress with "the shot." Second is the triple overtime win in the Dean Dome. Third is Frank Johnson leading Wake over Ralph Sampson's UVA team. But those are the games I saw. I didn't see Wake beat UCLA and I am on board with that victory. Aside from all that, every time we beat Duke's ass with Duncan was a sheer delight.

Oh, and one of those wins was Chill burying it over Grant Hill and tossing his gum. That may be my favorite because I was screaming at the top of my lungs when it went down.

Last edited:
It depends on your definition:

Most fun to watch - Wake-UNC 119-114
Biggest win - Retiring Ray Meyer

Other biggies- Chill winning ACCT; Lee Foye beats UNC in ACCT

On this last 1973 game: Lee Foye tied the game following a last second court length pass from Eddie Payne. Freshman Phil Perry actually scored the game winning basket in overtime. Probably kept Dean from a National Title. Only the ACC Tournament winner not named NC State went to NCAA's. Wake played a close game against Maryland the next day, and would have gone to the NCAA tournament fi they had won, because NC State was on probation and ineligible.

No question 82-80 Wake over UNC-Ch in 1995 ACCT finals brought a tear to my eye.. Retiring Meyer was also right up there in 1984 also with Rudd, Young, Green, Bogues, Garber, Teachey, Toms & Kepley.

The Foye win was a nice upset, but that's all. We have had plenty of bigger wins than that.

Then there was the game in Greensboro where Bob Staak put Muggsey on Len Bias, who made the evening a living hell for the ACC Player of the Year. Not a historic game, but it still brings a smile to my face.

And Wake 122 Duke 109, before the 3 point shot and shot clock, was pretty amazing.

Would like to learn more about that game from the old timers.

My memory detail is not great, but I'll offer something. Wake lost for 2nd time that year to Ohio St (Jerry Lucas, Hondo, Bobby Knight, etc.), 1st was in Winston, and moved to the consolation game - no longer played. We were paired against UCLA and enthusiasm for the game was revived when someone realized a win would give the ACC a bye in the next year NCAA tourney (was a smaller number than 64). Game details I don't recall, but we won and Packer, Chappell, and all, went out on a winning note.

Then there was the game in Greensboro where Bob Staak put Muggsey on Len Bias, who made the evening a living hell for the ACC Player of the Year. Not a historic game, but it still brings a smile to my face.

And Wake 122 Duke 109, before the 3 point shot and shot clock, was pretty amazing

I was at that game......freshman year. Halftime score was 66-55.
When it was over, all 10 Duke players that dressed for the game had scored in double figures and they still lost.
Believe that was when Duke and Clemson both had coaches named Bill Foster.

Yes, I overlooked that one. It definitely belongs on the short list of WF's greatest basketball games. Bones' strategy of holding the ball for the first 8 minutes to shorten the game and lessen Chappell's chances of getting into foul trouble was brilliant. After the first 8 minutes, they played at a regular pace. 18-18 at the half. Soph Billy Packer (Tourney MVP with 25, 19 & 17 points in the three games) fouled with 5 seconds left in the game and the Deacs leading 51-50. He calmly sank both ends of a one-and-one for the 53-50 win.

Then, sadly, Murray Greason was killed in an auto accident near Greensboro two days later on New Yera's Day.

Dying in a car accident in 1960s could not have been pleasant. Just ask Michael Douglas.

I barely remember that triple OT game. Couldn't even tell you what year it was. 2000? 2001? Wasn't it the conference opener? Hard to put it on the list due to timing alone. Nothing was at stake.

I barely remember that triple OT game. Couldn't even tell you what year it was. 2000? 2001? Wasn't it the conference opener? Hard to put it on the list due to timing alone. Nothing was at stake.

December 2003, Roy's first ACC game and Paul's as well. I have never been to a better game. It wasn't our most important win, but it was a phenomenal experience.

December 2003, Roy's first ACC game and Paul's as well. I have never been to a better game. It wasn't our most important win, but it was a phenomenal experience.

I'll always remember it was 2003 bc I picked up my six month old son as a rally good luck move when we went down by double digits...I held him the rest of the game and we came back and won. Great memory.

I wasn't alive for our final 4 run, so yeah, I'd have to say the 95 ACC title game. We drove down from Cville and scalped tix for that 1. Not just the win, but that might be the most thrilling game of any kind I've ever attended. And much better than the following year when Rutland went down against GT. Bobby, why didn't you press Wake earlier after Rutland's injury? Bobby: That was Rutland who went down?

Was at Wake for the Retire Meyer game. We all went outside our dorms screaming for a couple of minutes when it went to OT then hurried back in to watch the OT. Best Quad rolling/celebration I ever saw.

On this last 1973 game: Lee Foye tied the game following a last second court length pass from Eddie Payne. Freshman Phil Perry actually scored the game winning basket in overtime. Probably kept Dean from a National Title. Only the ACC Tournament winner not named NC State went to NCAA's. Wake played a close game against Maryland the next day, and would have gone to the NCAA tournament fi they had won, because NC State was on probation and ineligible.

In those days, only the ACC championship game was televised, so unless you were there you were relegated to listening on the radio (which to me is much more nerve-wracking than watching on t.v.; for some reason I'm pretty calm when attending in person). And Phil "Flip" Perry was one of the coolest Deacs ever; anyone know what became of him?

Best Wake game I ever saw was the UNC victory in the ACC tourney (1972?) when Leapin' Lee Foye tied it with 1 second left on a full court pass from Eddie Payne and Phil "Flip" Perry made the game winning layup in OT to beat the Heels with Kupchak, Karl, et all. Considering we were 8th and they were 1st in the conference and ranked in the top 3 in both polls it was quite a win. Gentlemen Carl's first ACC tourney game.

Back