• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What ive heard...........................

I have to believe that Turner is a good bet to land at VT. As I've written elsewhere, that job (which is now officially open) has some advantages over the Wake job for him (the biggest being that the fan-base won't be disappointed that he is not named Shake or Gregg).

He isn't a good bet to land a high major job at all, especially not one on the east coast. He isn't going to be a top candidate this year.

I have to believe that Turner is a good bet to land at VT. As I've written elsewhere, that job (which is now officially open) has some advantages over the Wake job for him (the biggest being that the fan-base won't be disappointed that he is not named Shake or Gregg).

It's funny how fanbase expectations didn't affect the hiring processes at Kentucky, Michigan, Kansas, Louisville, etc.

I guess Wake is unique after all.

I have no problem with a new coach interviewing the existing assistants and, if he wants to keep some or all of them, doing so. I have a major problem with an AD telling a new coach he has to retain certain assistants. To me, the second sign of trouble in the Bzdelick hire (the first sign being Bzdelick's pathetic overall record as a coach) was the fact that Ron forced him to keep the assistants apparently without even interviewing them, and Bz was so pathetic that he accepted this as a condition of employment.

As to Chill and Battle and Rusty individually, like most posters I am not in practice and even if I was, I wouldn't know whether they were doing a good job or not. But we have heard from knowledgeable insiders that Buzz does not run good practices, he spends a lot of time lecturing, and doesn't divide up the team into position groups for individual work as much as other coaches do. If that is true, Buzz's practice style and obvious handicaps on the recruiting trail may well be seriously handicapping his assistants' ability to do their best work. That's for the new coach to determine, not me or any other fan, and not Ron Wellman either IMO. The new coach will have to live with whoever he hires so it's clearly in his best interest to hire, or retain, the best coaches he can get.

Racer and Leftcoast, what are your opinions on Battle? Is he a bad coach now? He was lauded by everybody that he was such a great coach under Skip and Dino. Do the same principles applied to Randolph apply to Battle? Why is Randolph blamed for Codi not developing, but Battle not blamed?

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeff_battle_91791.html

Battle certainly shoulders some of the blame. He's been a part of this dumpster fire for sure. That said, he at least has an established a history of success pre-Buzz. Childress has none. His coaching resume is 1 year as Director of Player Development and 1 year as Assistant. There is absolutely no evidence that you or I have that he is a good coach. If his name was anything but Randolph Childress, not a single person on this board would consider him suitable for the job. While his name means something to us, it doesn't mean anything to kids in high school and college right now. We can't afford to take a flyer on Childress. That's what low and mid-majors are for. If he's a good coach, he'll move up. If he's not, he won't. His time at Wake and a recommendation from Buzz are negatives on his resume at this point. Time to go get some experience. Wake will be looking for another coach in 10-15 years most likely, at which point, if Chill is proven with some head coaching experience, he should certainly be in the discussion.

I have no problem with a new coach interviewing the existing assistants and, if he wants to keep some or all of them, doing so. I have a major problem with an AD telling a new coach he has to retain certain assistants. To me, the second sign of trouble in the Bzdelick hire (the first sign being Bzdelick's pathetic overall record as a coach) was the fact that Ron forced him to keep the assistants apparently without even interviewing them, and Bz was so pathetic that he accepted this as a condition of employment.

As to Chill and Battle and Rusty individually, like most posters I am not in practice and even if I was, I wouldn't know whether they were doing a good job or not. But we have heard from knowledgeable insiders that Buzz does not run good practices, he spends a lot of time lecturing, and doesn't divide up the team into position groups for individual work as much as other coaches do. If that is true, Buzz's practice style and obvious handicaps on the recruiting trail may well be seriously handicapping his assistants' ability to do their best work. That's for the new coach to determine, not me or any other fan, and not Ron Wellman either IMO. The new coach will have to live with whoever he hires so it's clearly in his best interest to hire, or retain, the best coaches he can get.

And at the end of the day - retaining assistants because of recruiting, in this class, means seriously risking hiring the best coach possible because of a Trent Strickland caliber recruit. Y'all know I love Strick (and Shelton), but c'mon son.

Battle certainly shoulders some of the blame. He's been a part of this dumpster fire for sure. That said, he at least has an established a history of success pre-Buzz. Childress has none. His coaching resume is 1 year as Director of Player Development and 1 year as Assistant. There is absolutely no evidence that you or I have that he is a good coach. If his name was anything but Randolph Childress, not a single person on this board would consider him suitable for the job. While his name means something to us, it doesn't mean anything to kids in high school and college right now. We can't afford to take a flyer on Childress. That's what low and mid-majors are for. If he's a good coach, he'll move up. If he's not, he won't. His time at Wake and a recommendation from Buzz are negatives on his resume at this point. Time to go get some experience. Wake will be looking for another coach in 10-15 years most likely, at which point, if Chill is proven with some head coaching experience, he should certainly be in the discussion.

That about nailed it.

And at the end of the day - retaining assistants because of recruiting, in this class, means seriously risking hiring the best coach possible because of a Trent Strickland caliber recruit. Y'all know I love Strick (and Shelton), but c'mon son.

It should be abundantly clear to Wake fans that a single recruiting class, regardless of its quailty, should play no role in hiring or retaining a coach. Now, I wonder if Wellman has figured this out.

It should be abundantly clear to Wake fans that a single recruiting class, regardless of its quailty, should play no role in hiring or retaining a coach. Now, I wonder if Wellman has figured this out.

Yeah, I hope we've all moved beyond this theory. We have empirical evidence that has clearly demonstrated it to be highly flawed.

Back